Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:22 AM

119 posts, read 201,201 times

Advertisements

At a recent orientation for our child's elementary school (entering Kindergarten), we learned that the school day ends at 3:45. However, all the buses for the kids usually don't arrive until half-an-hour later, at 4:15, and the kids can't board until all the buses are there...so the kids just have to hang out until then.

Has anyone experienced this before? I know it's not unusual to have to wait 5-10 minutes, maybe even 15 on occasion, before being actually dismissed, but a regular half-hour wait seems ridiculous. Did we hear the teacher correctly? Is this a problem in Wake generally? Curious about others' experiences. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I've not heard of the school waiting till all the buses are there to board them. May be a new policy or may just be the school policy. They all handle dismissal differently.

But yes - elementary schools that dismiss at 3:45 are tier 3 buses - you have to wait for them to drop of kids in high school and middle school and the early elementary schools (of which there are only a few). Once the buses are done with those routes they go to the elementary schools.
And then there are days where drivers don't show...

Old 05-12-2016, 11:45 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
My child is in elementary school that releases at 3:45pm and it does not work like that, at least at our school. The administration also tweets when the specific buses arrive and leave campus, which helps a lot!

Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
My son's bus usually departs his school about 30 minutes after school ends. Not everyone has to wait for all of the buses...that seems silly.

Of the six buses that serve his school, three usually leave within about 5 minutes of dismissal, another leaves about 15 minutes after, his about 30 minutes, and then another one usually closer to 35 minutes.

And yes, the school tweets when each bus departs.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
at our schools kids just had to wait till their own bus arrived and then they loaded, no waiting for all the buses and parents geta tweet about bus departures.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:21 PM

119 posts, read 201,201 times
Okay, then we misunderstood what was going on. Sounds like the teacher meant to say that some students' buses might arrive up to 30 minutes after the official end of the school day, but that if the bus is there, it can leave. And glad to know about the tweets. Still seems like not enough school buses are available system-wide, though. We're surprised about that.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
And people wonder why the carpool lines are insane in elementary school. You have no choice if your kids have any after school activities.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
And people wonder why the carpool lines are insane in elementary school. You have no choice if your kids have any after school activities.
Yup and if you work, you have to take your kid in the morning because if you leave them behind, it's a crapshoot whether they get there or not. I drive my youngest to middle school because no one is home for her if the bus doesn't come...luckily her school is right on my way to work.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup and if you work, you have to take your kid in the morning because if you leave them behind, it's a crapshoot whether they get there or not. I drive my youngest to middle school because no one is home for her if the bus doesn't come...luckily her school is right on my way to work.
Yep. BTDT. Now my oldest's bus comes at 6:20am, which is much easier for me. Unless she misses the bus. Then it's pure chaos over here. Next year will be even earlier. Am considering carpooling again.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Yep. BTDT. Now my oldest's bus comes at 6:20am, which is much easier for me. Unless she misses the bus. Then it's pure chaos over here. Next year will be even earlier. Am considering carpooling again.
That was us this year with 3 kids going to three different new schools. DS missed the high school bus second day of school as the driver showed up 10 minutes early. Oh, the whims of the WCPSS bus drivers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary