Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 PM

44 posts, read 48,564 times

Advertisements

Turns red for no reason, halting six forks traffic. Stays green for about 30 seconds allowing non existent eastbound anderson traffic to cross six forks into the little neighborhood on the other side. Then when it changes back to green for six forks, it gives a green arrow for the turning lane from north bound six forks onto anderson, so south bound traffic has to wait another 20-30 seconds for nothing. If it is late at night, I often just run it, so do others who live in the area that I've talked to. The other night I saw rpd hanging out at the bottom of the hill at the shell station, I wonder if they've caught on and are going to start revenue generating through there? Can't the city just tune the light back to the way it was? This nonsense seemed to have started when they added that new sidewalk a few weeks ago on the daycare side of six forks. If they are trying to keep people from speeding through there, their plan is back firing because the regulars are running the light or pressing the gas when they see a yellow.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
I go through there all the time. I never noticed any of that. I never thought the first time of running the light. Show a little patience

Old 06-08-2016, 05:18 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
I live a few blocks from that intersection.........the signal operates just fine. I've never had a problem traveling through that intersection at night. Patience goes a long ways.........It's not uncommon for traffic signals to have 120-180 second cycle lengths so having to wait 1/3rd of that cycle length is nothing.

A lot of the signals in that area are timed and coordinated for rush hour traffic so it can be frustrating at night when you have to wait a little longer but it works wonders moving traffic during rush hour when people can make that left turn movement and people can travel on Wake Forest Road/Six Forks Road with minimal stops.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Call the city and ask them. It's possible that if they installed a sidewalk, some of the sensor wires got cut and then the light will go into a fall back mode and not adjust for whether cars are there or not.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Call the city and ask them. It's possible that if they installed a sidewalk, some of the sensor wires got cut and then the light will go into a fall back mode and not adjust for whether cars are there or not.
I've noticed that some of the signals in that area (ex: Wake Forest & McNeil, Wake Forest & Hodges, Wake Forest & Six Forks) don't change immediately even if there is no traffic on the main street and cars waiting on the side street. The light will change though when it reaches the side street phase but if you get to the sensor right after the phase, you'll have to wait a whole 2-3 minute cycle. Again, not sure why this is the case vs. some signals that at night, default to just giving signal time to whatever cars are on the detectors. I suspect the signal timing all day is just based on what is programmed during rush hour.

The person to ask about this is Jed Niffenegger, he's the signals engineer with the City: (919) 996-4039, jed.niffenegger@raleighnc.gov - you might not get an answer that you like or any changes but he'll at least explain what's going on there.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
I've noticed a certain number of signals in Raleigh occasionally don't operate in "overnight" mode for some reason... the left turn signal from Milllbrook onto Pleasant Valley Rd is a good example. Sometimes the delay for side streets in "overnight" is due to the pedestrian crossing signals. If the pedestrian cross signal is in "walk" mode it needs to count down to "don't walk" before it changes the traffic signal to green.
I liked it when the outlying areas had overnight flash .. but a few unfortunate accidents put an end to that.

Frank

Old 06-08-2016, 01:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
There are quite a few intersections whose timing doesn't seem to make sense (Lead Mine and Strickland is another one, sometimes literally FLASHES green enough for one car to get through if they are paying attention). Never noticed it on Anderson. I always thought really short green lights just encourage people to speed up, if they know they'll have to sit there a long time if they miss it, causing more danger than a reasonable time.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There are quite a few intersections whose timing doesn't seem to make sense (Lead Mine and Strickland is another one, sometimes literally FLASHES green enough for one car to get through if they are paying attention). Never noticed it on Anderson. I always thought really short green lights just encourage people to speed up, if they know they'll have to sit there a long time if they miss it, causing more danger than a reasonable time.
The minimum green time for a signal phase is usually 7 seconds if it's a side street - if it's a main street, it depends on the speed limit - if it's 35 mph or less than 10 sec, 35-45 mph, 12 secs, 45 mph +, 14 sec. Then add on about 5 seconds of yellow time and 2 seconds of all-red time. (These are general guidelines, not strict or anything)

The length of signal phases really depends on the volumes of the streets. If the main street has way more cars than the side street, then the main street phase is going to get a bigger chunk of the cycle time than the side street. I've never noticed the intersection at Lead Mine & Strickland but I'll pay attention next time I'm over there.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The minimum green time for a signal phase is usually 7 seconds if it's a side street - if it's a main street, it depends on the speed limit - if it's 35 mph or less than 10 sec, 35-45 mph, 12 secs, 45 mph +, 14 sec. Then add on about 5 seconds of yellow time and 2 seconds of all-red time. (These are general guidelines, not strict or anything)

The length of signal phases really depends on the volumes of the streets. If the main street has way more cars than the side street, then the main street phase is going to get a bigger chunk of the cycle time than the side street. I've never noticed the intersection at Lead Mine & Strickland but I'll pay attention next time I'm over there.
Thanks for the info--I guess Lead Mine would be considered the "Side street" of the two, but both roads are 4-lane, yet the green for Lead Mine is ridiculously short sometimes. When the front car is at a complete stop, it can take 7 seconds to even notice the green, hit the gas, and be through the intersection before the next cars even get to it, and heaven help us if the front car isn't watching.

I completely understand if it's a tiny dirt road leading onto a major artery, but both of those roads are significant thoroughfares, IMHO.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,814 times
Can't be any worse than the light at Six Forks and Millbrook (especially at odd hours of the day). You'll be sitting at a red light with NO traffic in sight forEVER..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary