Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,774,435 times

Advertisements

NO, people shouldn't let their dogs bark to the point that it becomes an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,588,319 times
If you live in downtown Raleigh you should measure the db's of the train horn from your back porch. I hear a train blowing its horn once a hour!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,270,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
NO, people shouldn't let their dogs bark to the point that it becomes an issue.
I don't consider it an issue if I'm in my own backyard, which is fenced, playing with my dog, while she runs and barks. I would NEVER let something so small bother me. People need more tolerance for each other OR you live in the country on an acre lot!

And just so you know, the first time he complained was 1 in the AFTERNOON. Other time he complained was 5 PM when I had just gotten home. The 3rd time he complained...my dog was at the groomers so I'm not sure he is SANE! LOL

I asked my other neighbor if my dog bothered her. She said no. But...she did say that the unemployed crazy guy asked her to plant shrubs on her side of the fence AFTER he cut down all his trees. Claims he didn't like seeing into her windows.

WHO is the crazy one HERE?!!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,590,285 times
You could try to call the police but they probably won't do anything or get there in time to catch it in the act. I called them once over a vacant house next to us that was being broken into and it took them over an hour to get there. We used to back up to a high school and the band practiced all the time. I don't think your neighbor doing it 15 times a year is an issue. You have neighbors, you're going to hear noise.

Also re: dogs barking...dogs bark. It's what they do. It's not more or less annoying than parents yelling at their children. If you let your dog out and bark without trying to intervene for >20/30 minutes then that's an issue but it doesn't sound like you do that. Our dog has taken to barking at anything with wheels in her older age...

Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,616,104 times
Is the dog barking at the neighbor?

Because I can tell you from direct experience that it's completely maddening to not be able to be in your yard at all without the neighbor's dog wanting to kill you through the fence (or even barking just for your attention) (that doesn't stop when you give it).

Fifteen minutes seems like a really, really long time when that happens.

Think of someone screaming at you from 10 feet away for 15 minutes straight.

But the killer chihuahua enjoys it :-O

Edit: I'd like the brass band

Old 07-05-2016, 06:48 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,590,285 times
Can't speak for Vicki but we have a park behind our house where kids drive those electric cars and people bike/rollerblade/skateboard which freaks the dog out. If it keeps up for more than 2 minutes though I go out and get her to come inside so as not to be a nuisance.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:04 AM

5,348 posts, read 3,231,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

People need to be more tolerant of others and let others live without butting in!
It's the "everybody gets a trophy" society we've cultivated. Everyone thinks their needs/wants are the most important thing.

The OP bought a house in the city, yet complains about a minuscule amount of noise generated by people living their life. The people are practicing, they are not "out to get you" or make your life bad.

I think people around here have never ventured outside of the city areas to see how much "country" there is out there that's nice and quiet.

Frankly, I would think it was cool if there were musicians practicing during the day near me.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 AM

166 posts, read 163,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I think people around here have never ventured outside of the city areas to see how much "country" there is out there that's nice and quiet.
Complete myth that rural areas are quieter. Maybe once upon a time that was true, but these days the country is littered with gun fanatics constantly firing their weapon collection, owners of trucks and motorcycles with excessively loud mufflers, dogs barking without ordinances to control them, people operating loud construction or mechanical equipment in their yard, etc.

At least in the city you have some reasonable enforcement of noise pollution ordinances.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:05 AM

514 posts, read 603,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post
Complete myth that rural areas are quieter. Maybe once upon a time that was true, but these days the country is littered with gun fanatics constantly firing their weapon collection, owners of trucks and motorcycles with excessively loud mufflers, dogs barking without ordinances to control them, people operating loud construction or mechanical equipment in their yard, etc.

At least in the city you have some reasonable enforcement of noise pollution ordinances.
I expect there is a happy medium and not everywhere in the more rural areas is quite as you describe.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't consider it an issue if I'm in my own backyard, which is fenced, playing with my dog, while she runs and barks. I would NEVER let something so small bother me. People need more tolerance for each other OR you live in the country on an acre lot!

And just so you know, the first time he complained was 1 in the AFTERNOON. Other time he complained was 5 PM when I had just gotten home. The 3rd time he complained...my dog was at the groomers so I'm not sure he is SANE! LOL

I asked my other neighbor if my dog bothered her. She said no. But...she did say that the unemployed crazy guy asked her to plant shrubs on her side of the fence AFTER he cut down all his trees. Claims he didn't like seeing into her windows.

WHO is the crazy one HERE?!!

You need to help him list his home so you he can move on...that's unreal...dogs bark, neighbor needs to get over it...

I had my across the street neighbor walk over last night, 6:15pm and said "it's a holiday, why are you mowing now?" I said well this is the only chance I have to do my lawn, AND I cut my lawn and maintain my yard every Monday evening since Tuesday is yard waste collection. I was like wth?

People love to complain...I said Happy 4th and fired up the mower again and continued; he stood there like a fool...don't see how the 4th of July has anything to do with me doing yard work...me thinks he's jealous of my yard, lol yet he was the first one snapping pictures of all the work I did last year and this year...I didn't go all NY on him, that will be next time LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary