Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:09 PM

54 posts, read 46,656 times

Advertisements

Those videos are hilarious, but I can't help but cringe imagining the fallout.

People need to be 100% about their surroundings when driving. That said, from that video, it's not really surprising the system failed and will continue to fail. Looks like the truck was behind several cars when the warning system came on. A lot of people go into autopilot mode and see no reason to monitor the lights when they're waiting at a light behind a bunch of cars - they just go when the people in front go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 03:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I always wonder how it would feel to have a houseful of irreplaceable personal family heirlooms riding in that Allied truck?

Honestly, they probably need a "NO TRUCKS" sign and routing, as many as have hit it.
The "overheight" signboard should have been warning enough, but as we see, it still gets ignored. My guess is that drivers would ignore the "NO TRUCKS" sign too.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
The "overheight" signboard should have been warning enough, but as we see, it still gets ignored. My guess is that drivers would ignore the "NO TRUCKS" sign too.
Exactly. Any more signs and alarms added would be money wasted, as we saw with this latest warning. Trucks are just gonna keep crashing into it, come hell or high water.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:57 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Exactly. Any more signs and alarms added would be money wasted, as we saw with this latest warning. Trucks are just gonna keep crashing into it, come hell or high water.
Only solution I can see is to close Gregson at the bridge and redirect traffic along either Pettigrew or Memorial. I don't know traffic patterns in that area, though, so I'm not entirely sure how much of a backup that would cause.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:45 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtns2c View Post
Those videos are hilarious, but I can't help but cringe imagining the fallout.

People need to be 100% about their surroundings when driving. That said, from that video, it's not really surprising the system failed and will continue to fail. Looks like the truck was behind several cars when the warning system came on. A lot of people go into autopilot mode and see no reason to monitor the lights when they're waiting at a light behind a bunch of cars - they just go when the people in front go.
True! Also doesn't help if English isn't someone's first language. I think they need to reword the sign. The technology is good (the infrared measuring of the truck's height), but they should make the sign say something like "Trucks must turn when flashing" or just "No Trucks" and have a graphic of a truck in a 'no' slash symbol. The "overheight" wording just has the potential to be confusing to someone who's not alert and paying attention.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Only solution I can see is to close Gregson at the bridge and redirect traffic along either Pettigrew or Memorial. I don't know traffic patterns in that area, though, so I'm not entirely sure how much of a backup that would cause.
Actually, I thought the same thing.
Clearly, with this extent of recorded incidents, there is something wrong with the infrastructure and traffic environment.

There are plenty of low bridges around that do not get hit routinely like this. What is special about this one?

Old 07-10-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Maybe once someone dies and the taxpayers end up footing the bill for a multi-million dollar lawsuit, someone will get motivated enough to make a change.
Arizona dude, the bridge only damages trucks. To my knowledge no human has ever even suffered a scratch from it. People don't die from it, only trucks.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
True! Also doesn't help if English isn't someone's first language. I think they need to reword the sign. The technology is good (the infrared measuring of the truck's height), but they should make the sign say something like "Trucks must turn when flashing" or just "No Trucks" and have a graphic of a truck in a 'no' slash symbol. The "overheight" wording just has the potential to be confusing to someone who's not alert and paying attention.
So....maybe instead of the city of Durham and/or NCDOT spending even more money for signage that people aren't paying attention to or undergoing the massive engineering project that it would require to increase the clearance......people should just..be alert and paying attention when they're driving?...Especially when they are driving a vehicle large enough to hit that bridge.

It's a sad statement when we think of people not alert or paying attention when they are driving as "the norm".

Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Well it also doesn't help that it just says "overheight must turn" and doesn't say who the message is directed to. Too bad "Hey, you in the truck, you can't fit under this bridge. Turn here instead!" wouldn't fit on the sign.

Maybe they can do like a railroad crossing and have an arm come down when the sensor reads that a truck is too tall.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, I thought the same thing.
Clearly, with this extent of recorded incidents, there is something wrong with the infrastructure and traffic environment.

There are plenty of low bridges around that do not get hit routinely like this. What is special about this one?
It is a bit lower than the typical low bridge for one thing so it's not just 18 wheelers getting caught like the Peace St bridge in Raleigh.

They do have plans to rework it at some point, but it just isn't a simple situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary