Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM

60 posts, read 260,889 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the job market is for biologists in the Triangle? My husband and I are considering relocating (we're currently in the Chicago area. Yesterday, the windchill was something like seven below zero, and we're sick of the cold). He'd love to work for a company in RTP. He's got a master's in molecular biology and is currently doing R&D in an industrial setting, but wants to get more into medical research.

Can anyone give any advice? He's been job-hunting for a while with not a lot of bites, and we're tired of the cold and being trapped indoors most of the year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:19 PM

321 posts, read 1,577,570 times
Unfortunately both industry and academics are feeling the pinch right now with respect to research. However, there may be more opportunities in academic research given the presence of UNC and Duke (I am a scientist at Duke). Of course the money isn't so good as industry. There is also Glaxo Smithkine here who are one of the big biomedical employers.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM

He'd flourish at either. Like I said, he's doing R&D in an industrial setting, but he wants to do more medical research, or drug research, something along those lines, because he wants to help people. This is a man completely and utterly in love with biology (at night when we're lying in bed, he tells me about the AIDS papers he's read, for fun. I've actually seen him reading scientific papers while on the treadmill at the gym, lol). What is the scientific community like down there? Would this be a good place to live for someone who eats, sleeps and breathes science the way my husband does?

(I lived briefly, very briefly, in the area a number of years ago and already adore the area, so I'm already convinced.)

Any hints on how to get in at some of the major places?

(And my goodness, how rude of me, thank you, donna78!)

Last edited by CraftySM; 02-19-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Distracted by small child and rudely forgot to thank donna78!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Tell him to check with the federal government. The EPA, NIH, ARS, etc. all have labs in the Triangle. The pay is decent and benefits are good. The official federal jobsite is USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,723 times
Hi Crafty

Yes, there's plenty of R and D in RTP, but there's also plenty of top class PhD graduates being churned out from three local universities within 10 miles. Funding in academia is tight, hence pushing more potential academics into industry. In other words, competition is massive unless you have unique skills for example in crystallography, proteomics etc.

I did work with an impulsive PhD student once who quit and took a masters. She ended up at GSK via an agency, such as Kelly scientific. Being a contractor for a while is often cheap labor but it maybe your most likely foot in the door.

M

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,570 times
As someone who eats, lives and breaths science I can say that this is a great community for a scientist. My advice if you are interested in academia is to look at the individual labs via department websites at UNC and Duke and se who is doing what you might be interested in; then contact them. Most academics will not advertise unless really in need of someone. If someone contacts you, is well qualified and is enthusiastic you hire them if they have the money.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the great info! Donna78, I passed your info along to my husband, I'm sure he'll start checking out UNC and Duke immediately. He's definitely qualified and very, very enthusiastic. Thanks so much!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
I did a PhD in Genetics in my past life (before I wound up in the mortgage world) and moved to this area because of the amazing science environment. There are so many schools, biotech labs and government researchers. Its a stimulating area where your husband will find many people to talk to.

The univeristies are a great place to start, each one has its own website of job postings. These are great as NCSU, UNC and Duke are all great places to network with both academic and industry insiders as there is plenty of collaboration with RTP based companies.

The academic postings are typically the most honest and easy to land an interview with in my opinion. Usually the PI or a research coordinator will respond, whereas in industry you often get an automated email response or no reply in many cases.

As mentioned the government (NIH, NIEHS) research labs also have a presence in the area. To get into industry does take a little effort because of the high volume of biotech trained individuals coming out of the universities. He should reach out to one of the scientific staffing agencies if he wants to go that route. Its all about making connections and networking to get your foot in the door.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 26,580 times
I echo the suggestions to try scientific staffing agencies. I know someone who got a great job at GSK that way.

Your husband might have an easier time getting a job than the numerous PhDs in the area, because he has a masters + experience. I think there are many positions that do not particularly want PhDs.

Good luck! It's a great place to live and a great place for a scientist.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgal View Post
I echo the suggestions to try scientific staffing agencies. I know someone who got a great job at GSK that way.

Your husband might have an easier time getting a job than the numerous PhDs in the area, because he has a masters + experience. I think there are many positions that do not particularly want PhDs.

Good luck! It's a great place to live and a great place for a scientist.
Sad but true. I had a lot of academic research experience but not industry experience. That and a PhD meant less than a Masters and 2-3 years of industry experience. Of course you eventually hit a ceiling, but for getting your foot in the door industry experience means more to companies than academic training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary