Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM

61 posts, read 50,273 times

Advertisements

I have searched the WCPS website and can't find my answers.

I was wondering how it is decided what "track" you will be on if you attend a YR school. How great are the possibilities that if you have elementary and middle school children that they will be on different tracks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 04:25 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
You select your 1st, 2nd choice and hope you get it. Some tracks are way more popular AND crowded than others.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:42 PM

So some tracks are "better" than others? How is that? I have looked at the YR calendar and tried to figure it out. It's very confusing!

Also, when do YR schools start? From the calendars it looks like July? Is that when they promote also?

Old 12-28-2015, 05:02 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,252 times
Some people prefer certain tracks because of vacation planning, holiday time, congruence with other kids schedules (like if one is on a traditional calendar and one is on YR). "Better" is subjective.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM

494 posts, read 816,689 times
Some like tracks with multiple classes of the same grade on it so the same group of kids isn't together year after year.

Tracks 1 and 4 have a break between school years where tracks 2 and 3 just get a week between grade levels.

Tracks 1, 2 and 3 start after the 4th of July. Track 4 starts three weeks later.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Many people prefer track 4 because it most closely aligns with a traditional calendar.

Other tracks tend to have smaller class sizes and people like them because you can travel at really "off" times for vacation.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Would you all stick to a traditional calendar with a child in middle school and 3 children in elementary? My fear is they would be on different tracks! Do all kids in a household on the same level (elementary) guaranteed to be on the same track?

Old 12-28-2015, 07:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,238,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
Would you all stick to a traditional calendar with a child in middle school and 3 children in elementary? My fear is they would be on different tracks! Do all kids in a household on the same level (elementary) guaranteed to be on the same track?
I think as a general matter they try to have the tracks coordinate. However, nothing is guaranteed in WCPSS. As others have mentioned some tracks are more popular...track 4 is very popular. So obviously all families won't be accommodated with matching tracks. Plenty of families in WCPSS deal with split calendars. Depending on the age of your children if you have a kid in year round elementary/middle and also have a high schooler you will definitely deal with split schedules as all high schools are traditional calendar.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
You should keep in mind that all high schools here are on traditional calendar, so your middle schooler will soon be on a traditional calendar no matter what.

I've never heard of anyone having their kids on different tracks.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM

430 posts, read 626,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
It's not guaranteed but when my kids attended year round schools none of their friends had siblings in different tracks, so it seems like they really try to make sure all siblings are on the same track.

By the time my oldest child was in high school it didn't really matter to us that she was traditional and the younger kid was year round since she was mature enough to take care of herself school wise and had different agendas/interests during vacation periods than the younger kid. We just didn't see it as an issue at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary