Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times

Advertisements

You have a problem with judgemental people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 10:30 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,066,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Eno River State Park in Durham is a great option for local hikes. It has 28 mile of trails through hilly terrain. It follows the river, but not I'm sure if it deep enough for a dog to swim.
Oh I think it would be deep enough. I see people wading there all the time and sometimes have even seen kayakers. I agree with you, it's a very nice park.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Chapel Hill just controls development because we don't want the kind of suburban hell you describe. We don't control to be snooty. Any snootiness we might have has to do with the university and how many degrees a person has, not what kind of car they drive. Most of the folks I know aren't like that, though. It's a very wear it on your sleeve progressive & liberal area, though, and it could be a hard place to be a very right wing conservative. Other than that it's pretty live and let live.

Dogs can swim at Jordan Lake somewhere. Mine doesn't like to swim, she just likes to lie down in Bolin Creek.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You have a problem with judgemental people?
I don't really get why people think abstract comments need to be answered with subtle personal jabs but anyway the snooty comment is about the people but the approach to the town planning.

Just because you bought in at a time when Chapel Hill was more affordable doesn't mean it makes sense to act like those same characteristics apply today.

Chapel Hill is highly desirable but also limited growth it is merely common sense to say that environment breeds exclusivity or 'snooty'

Like I said I'm a near age peer to the topic create and very few of my peers buy in Chapel Hill.

A quick look at zillow for the budget really demonstrates the gap in housing stock as well as what you get between durham (single family homes) and chapel hill (mostly town houses) and wayyyyyyy more housing stock.

Chapel Hill Real Estate - Chapel Hill NC Homes For Sale | Zillow

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...727_rect/9_zm/

yes i agree it's not a rich snooty but being an anti growth town and a town where liberal bona-fides get overly repped

Old 08-11-2016, 10:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Hey_guy, your circle may not buy in Chapel Hill, but I know plenty of 30-somethings that do. I've known folks that go both ways — move to Durham from Chapel Hill to buy a house, move into Chapel Hill when their kids go to school. But I've known folks that move to Durham when their kids are school age, too (really!).

I love Durham, too, but if folks love Chapel Hill and Carrboro no need to go to Durham. I think Durham may be just what the OP is looking for, but it's hard to tell w/o a little more info. I'm not feeling Cary for them, but hard to tell right now.

I always suggest coming to visit and renting for the first year. Easy enough to commute anywhere that first year and then buy someplace that works for both people.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM

I dunno a 300k budget would get you into Woodcroft with a mature tree canopy, access to good schools, private greenway trails, 5 mile greenway ride to downtown durham, good schools (jordan), 10 minutes drive to chapel hill

Chapel Hill 300k is far flung, town houses, or homes built in the 60's and 70's

Totally obvious choice to me

Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I don't live in CH and I wasn't addressing you anyway hey_guy. I just some of the stuff being said by OP somewhat ironical.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 AM

oh ok sozzy

Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 AM

425 posts, read 463,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
Also, what are the people like? One of the threads I read was saying that people in the Cary / CH areas are very snooty and judgemental based on your neighborhood and home size.
I just never understand this type question. I've lived all over, people are more or less the same everywhere in the US. You'll find very nice people here and you'll find some real pricks. How is that any different than any other location? I am friends with some extremely down to earth people living in a million dollar home in Cary, but I also know people who as you would say snooty, about their new $400k home. No location (Cary, Chapel Hill, Fargo, Dallas pick a city) is some homogeneous group full of one specific type of person.

You will attract the same type of people (good or bad) here as you do there. People are people. They don't morph when they move to "Cary (said with pinkie out high-brow voice)".

Good luck in the move.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I just never understand this type question. I've lived all over, people are more or less the same everywhere in the US. You'll find very nice people here and you'll find some real pricks. How is that any different than any other location? I am friends with some extremely down to earth people living in a million dollar home in Cary, but I also know people who as you would say snooty, about their new $400k home. No location (Cary, Chapel Hill, Fargo, Dallas pick a city) is some homogeneous group full of one specific type of person.

You will attract the same type of people (good or bad) here as you do there. People are people. They don't morph when they move to "Cary (said with pinkie out high-brow voice)".

Good luck in the move.
I agree. I find the "snooty" question a bit bizarre. We're hardly Beverly Hills around here. And, I'm pretty sure (though I have not visited there in years) I could find still some nice people there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary