Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
NC has had five cases of it since 1962...not exactly a major threat. And of course the most recent one wasn't even in a lake.
Again my point is someone who lives within daily driving distance of the ocean and for whom that is an important factor in their quality of life, is not going to be satisfied with the lakes here. They likely aren't going to be satisfied with it being minimum 2 hours away. That's "close" by NC standards but it's a marathon when you're used to it being truly close.
People from Long Island aren't that familiar with lakes, period. And whether there's been 1 case or 500, there's a near 100% mortality rate with the amoebas. There's a reason my kid's summer camp has stopped going to Jordan Lake in August and now goes to a pool.

I don't see the OP being happy in an area where the beach scene is not a major part of life. She's going to the OBX instead of scouting out the area she wants to live, for Pete's sake. That makes no sense at all. We all know when you live here, even if you own a beach house, you're not heading to the beach every weekend. She's probably used to that and may be used to going even more often than that. It's a topic that needs to be addressed with this poster and she needs to really think it over. Best analogy I can give her is, if she's not going into NYC for entertainment every weekend then she's not going to the beach every weekend if she moves here either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:14 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
I'm from LI and was an AVID beach-goer growing up. I seriously went the the beach every single day that I could. Surfed religiously for years, had my own boat since age 12... Seriously, coastal waters were my entire life.

Now I live in North Raleigh, have a wakeboard boat, and Lakes are my entire life. It's SOOOO much different, but we really enjoy it. I've transitioned from surfing to wakeboarding, and am completely obsessed. I wakeboard on average, 3 times a week in neighboring lakes. I've had water so far up my nose that it tickles my brain. No brain eating ameba here! In case you guys didn't know, the water in all local lakes circulates a small amount. Water DOES flow in and out. Small amount though. And the water in the majority of falls lake is actually really deep, which helps to circulate cool water from the bottom. So it's pretty unlikely that a brain eating ameba is going to be an issue. If the lake was shallow (like 15 feet or less), then you might want to start worrying. But it's like 40 feet deep. A LOT of water that is constantly being churned and mixed by boat traffic.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
Thank you REdzin!! we are going to the outer banks next week bc we want to see what the beaches are like there as compared to LI

my husband and I are going back again to Raleigh in the fall and then in April with the kids to do more research and exploring!!
Ahh, North Carolina beaches... you're in for quite the treat. The water is warm, access is insanely simple and the crowds non-existent. Now, people not familiar with Jones Beach on a Saturday in July will argue that not every NC beach is easy to access and some can get quite crowded... they're wrong.

And if you like the Outer Banks, you'll love much more affordable locations further south and closer to the Triangle.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Ahh, North Carolina beaches... you're in for quite the treat. The water is warm, access is insanely simple and the crowds non-existent. Now, people not familiar with Jones Beach on a Saturday in July will argue that not every NC beach is easy to access and some can get quite crowded... they're wrong.

And if you like the Outer Banks, you'll love much more affordable locations further south and closer to the Triangle.
So true

Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
We go to the beach almost every weekend in the summer and live in Raleigh. The drive is really not that bad. My husband usually takes a half day on Friday so we beat the traffic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you child-free and either working from home or retired? if so, you will have no problem getting to the beach on the weekends if you prefer living in Raleigh over the coast.

There are a quite a few reasons why I'd rather live in a larger metro area over the beach full time. Some of them being; employment, education for my kids, proximity to world class healthcare, international airport (even if you are flying domestic, more direct flights),better restaurants, better access to the arts (for me: the symphony, rock concerts, live comedy, theater, traveling visual art exhibits & ballet).

Last edited by sittingonamtntop; 08-15-2016 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 07:42 PM

256 posts, read 266,279 times
wow, for some reason, i didnt get email notifications on any of these posts! I decided to check back in - thank goodness I did!

Thank you Twingles, I appreciate your input. Yes, I am concerned, and you have a very good point! We were originally going to split our time btwn the outer banks and wilmington, but got stuck bc most of the houses in the outerbanks had to be rented weekly. so we decided to at least check out the NC shore and enjoy an outer banks vacation!

We do intend on visiting Raleigh again, and we will definitely check out wilmington too. We have to really wrap ourselves around the idea of pools - we like pools, but don't love them, bc there is so much more to do on a sandy beach!!!

thanks for your input boardjnky - and for everyone else's!!

it is a process....we need to look at all angles of living down there - NY does have the beaches at our fingertips.....BUT as someone else said, the beaches here are getting more and more crowded as the years go by. We don't even go near jones beach....the private beaches (like tobay charge $50 per car per day if you don't live in the oyster bay town, which we don't), point lookout is too boring..lol (no boardwalk and the waves are small), so we are left with two options - robert moses and fire island. Fire island is awesome, but it takes 1.5 hrs when all said and done. 1 hr drive, 1/2 hr ferry ride and 50 bucks, ontop of the gas. Then you have robert moses, which has 5 fields - we used to go to field 5, where the lighthouse and park is - not anymore. it gets so crowded. even if we get there around 10, by 12 it is insane, and people left and right are cursing in front of our kids, etc. the same is happening at field 4. IT is aweful. So fields 5 and 4 are no longer an option. we go to field 2 now. But I would bet in a few years, field 2 will no longer be an option, etc......Trust me, between the traffic and the crowds, we will not even be able to just stroll over to the beach anymore. and we only have 3 months of summer, of which only 2 months the water is even warm enough to swim in!!

I think I made my point =)

also, someone asked about our budget - trying to stay in the upper 250s low 300s

thanks again to all of you!

sad about the lakes!! =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary