Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM

180 posts, read 662,628 times

Advertisements

I am a lover of Italian food but have only tried it once since I moved South. We went to Fratello's in Brier Creek and thought it was "okay."

What is the best place you have been? What did you like most about it? Was it romantic or expensive?

I need ideas for a romantic good food evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM

150 posts, read 599,321 times
Default My favorite

In Wakefield Plantation, A Touch Of Italy. Very quaint, very romantic and very good food. Lobster Ravioli is unbelievable - watching your weight - forget it! Excellent staff and very knowledgeable on wine. They are located at 13200 New Falls of Neuse, Raleigh, NC 27614
(919) 488-3463.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,518,008 times
Alimentari, but it's not a "restaurant". It's an authentic Italian "food store"/deli. They have many prepared foods - both to eat right there, or take home and heat & eat. Owned by the Ferlos (from NY), they are in Plantation Square - 6320 Capital Blvd. Or check out their website at Welcome to ALIMENTARI!.

Definitely try the steak & greens. Or, Frank makes a mean chicken vesuvius.

Sorry it's not romantic, but tell ya what. Talk to Frank, get dinner for two, including some of his fresh baked bread and some sweet Italian dessert, grab a bottle of wine, flowers, and a blanket, do it picnic-style in the back of your truck, and watch the sunset. Better than being indoors any day!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
We used to like Pasta Bella in Durham on 54 near Southpointe. We think it is romantic. I just read though that it is now closed? Really? It's been a while, but I didn't know they closed.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM

59 posts, read 288,539 times
We also went to Fratellos and thought it was horrible. You are very kind by saying that it was "ok". We found a place that is awesome. It is Casalinga in Raleigh. It is on Capital blvd. Carlo Casalinga...Italian Cuisine...Raleigh, North Carolina (http://www.carlocasalinga.net - broken link) The food is exactly like the Italian food in NY. It is in a shopping plaza next to a Food Lion. The plaza is not nice and the first time we went, we were ready to turn around and go home based on that. However, we had heard so much about this place that we had to check it out. The portions are huge so when we go we usually split an entree. The tiramisu is the best tiramisu I have ever had. They have a lunch buffet which I would definitely not recommend. It is not really romantic but I guess that you could make it a little romantic. You may wan to check it out first to see if it is romantic enough for you. Sometimes at night on weekends they have a man singing. My husband is Italian from NY and I lived there for 3 years. I can honestly tell you that it is the best Italian food that we have tasted since we moved to Raleigh 3 years ago. The owner is Italian and him and his wife lived in NY before heading south like the rest of us. Let me know what you think of it if you go.

Last edited by valicon; 06-22-2007 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-22-2007, 06:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicon View Post
We also went to Fratellos and thought it was horrible. You are very kind by saying that it was "ok". We found a place that is awesome. It is Casalinga in Raleigh. It is on Capital blvd. Carlo Casalinga...Italian Cuisine...Raleigh, North Carolina (http://www.carlocasalinga.net - broken link) The food is exactly like the Italian food in NY. It is in a shopping plaza next to a Food Lion. The plaza is not nice and the first time we went, we were ready to turn around and go home based on that. However, we had heard so much about this place that we had to check it out. The portions are huge so when we go we usually split an entree. The tiramisu is the best tiramisu I have ever had. They have a lunch buffet which I would definitely not recommend. It is not really romantic but I guess that you could make it a little romantic. Sometimes at night on weekends they have a man singing. My husband is from NY and I lived there for 3 years. I can honestly tell you that it is the best Italian food that I have tasted since I moved to Raleigh 3 years ago. The owner is Italian and him and his wife lived in NY before heading south like the rest of us. Let me know what you think of it if you go.
This place is great, but you wouldn't recomend the lunch buffet? Why?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
This place is great, but you wouldn't recomend the lunch buffet? Why?
The waiter we had the first time talked so much about the lunch buffet that we went back the following week to try it. Well, it was barely ok. The pizza was excellent but the pasta, sausage and peppers etc. were not so great at all. Their pizza is very good so the quality was the same in the buffet. For the rest of the buffet they seemed put the stuff that is the cheapest to make, which makes sense because their buffet is fairly inexpensive. Most of it was not even on the regular menu. It is not the same quality as the food from the menu which is excellent. We will never go back for the lunch buffet again. We just didn't feel that the quality was anywhere near the regular menu.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicon View Post
The waiter we had the first time talked so much about the lunch buffet that we went back the following week to try it. Well, it was barely ok. The pizza was excellent but the pasta, sausage and peppers etc. were not so great at all. Their pizza is very good so the quality was the same in the buffet. For the rest of the buffet they seemed put the stuff that is the cheapest to make, which makes sense because their buffet is fairly inexpensive. Most of it was not even on the regular menu. It is not the same quality as the food from the menu which is excellent. We will never go back for the lunch buffet again. We just didn't feel that the quality was anywhere near the regular menu.
AH..now that makes sense. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
AH..now that makes sense. Thanks.
You are welcome!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,846 times
I like Piccolo Italia in Cameron Village in Raleigh. The food is excellent, but the service can suck, especially if they're busy. It's pretty dark and quiet inside, but I'm not sure I'd call it romantic. It's pretty basic Italian food, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary