Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

Google Fiber targets Triangle for ultra-fast wireless Internet tests :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
It's being discussed in the big Google Fiber thread. I honestly don't think it'll have much impact on us. Fiber install is well underway here, and wireless is years away. They're only looking to start testing with Google employees. They could freeze things here, but I think we're far enough along and they've invested enough in the ground that they'll follow through.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It's being discussed in the big Google Fiber thread. I honestly don't think it'll have much impact on us. Fiber install is well underway here, and wireless is years away. They're only looking to start testing with Google employees. They could freeze things here, but I think we're far enough along and they've invested enough in the ground that they'll follow through.
It sounded like the fiber layout thus far has been far more expensive than they originally thought. Hopefully like you said they're invested enough that they don't just drop it altogether.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
ATT is bringing me fiber. Digging my street today. I won't need Google, in all likelihood, other than for competitive purposes.
But.... 5G in a few years looks very interesting, too.
Will it make cable obsolete, or will cable be used feed neighborhood 5G?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:10 AM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times
AT&T is installing fiber conduit in the neighborhoods around Cary High School. I've got a new box in my front yard. It's hard to imagine Google coming in behind AT&T to install fiber in the same neighborhoods. Do they typically share conduit? Or would Google bring in crews to dig everything up again and install their own?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
It's all discussed on the big thread on the same page, but yes, they will separately run their fiber. There were rumors floating around that Google offered to do a joint build with Att and were rebuffed, but who knows if that is true.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:59 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,137 times
AT&T just dug up our neighborhood laying the conduit. I'm not thrilled about the Gigafiber data cap as well as the deep packet inspection. Does anyone who has the Gigafiber now have any insight on exactly what AT&T is doing with the info they glean from the packet inspection?

Google at this time has no data cap so my hope is they follow AT&T in sooner than later as my yard already looks like crap the way AT&T left it. I would hate for the yard to start growing in again only to have Google come in and tear it up during their install.

I have yet to see any Google workers on my side of town but we have a fiber hut about 2 miles away per the map on their website. I guess only time will tell.

Edit to Add, per www.att.com/internet-usage it appears that they are moving to an unlimited data cap for the 1gig offering on August 21, 2016. That makes them much more competitive with Google once that happens.

Last edited by tmasek73; 08-16-2016 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: New data cap info

Old 08-16-2016, 03:34 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
AT&T just dug up our neighborhood laying the conduit. I'm not thrilled about the Gigafiber data cap as well as the deep packet inspection. Does anyone who has the Gigafiber now have any insight on exactly what AT&T is doing with the info they glean from the packet inspection?

Google at this time has no data cap so my hope is they follow AT&T in sooner than later as my yard already looks like crap the way AT&T left it. I would hate for the yard to start growing in again only to have Google come in and tear it up during their install.

I have yet to see any Google workers on my side of town but we have a fiber hut about 2 miles away per the map on their website. I guess only time will tell.

Edit to Add, per www.att.com/internet-usage it appears that they are moving to an unlimited data cap for the 1gig offering on August 21, 2016. That makes them much more competitive with Google once that happens.
Decline the discount, and pay rack rate for proper privacy, and the packet inspection will be moot.
I don't look at privacy as an added cost.
I look at it as allowing packet inspection covers part of the cost if the discount is more important to me than privacy. It isn't.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
This is a positive. Wireless will be able to be installed faster and give more people access. Potentially lowering the cost.

Super ridiculous high speed internet is a luxury, I would think what most people want is inexpensive ($15-$20/month) service that doesn't degrade in the evening and is reliable. Let the people who need super high speed internet pay for it while the rest of us can enjoy basic streaming and browsing for low cost.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:27 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Decline the discount, and pay rack rate for proper privacy, and the packet inspection will be moot.
I don't look at privacy as an added cost.
I look at it as allowing packet inspection covers part of the cost if the discount is more important to me than privacy. It isn't.
Other ISP's are packet sniffing also, they just aren't as up front about it, they are just targeting ads based on it and being more up front about it (and will mail you ads also). Google ads that you see are based on your cookies and tracking of sites you go to also, so you are already getting targeted ads.

I am tempted to try it out and see what happens. Gigapower was just made available at my house after about 8 months ago them laying the cables. Since they are moving the data cap, that was my one reservation. I don't need faster internet, but I hate TWC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary