Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:56 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times

Advertisements

I believe they filmed a couple of episodes of the NBC show "Revolution" there (end of season 1 I think). If it wasn't filmed there, then the mock-up of it was identical to one of the alternate entrance areas. After years of being in and out of that building, I still had trouble finding what was where inside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Not far away, Nortel's 82 acres and 700,000 square feet on the north side of NC 54 also sits vacant and slowly deteriorating. This is the original Nortel facility from 1982, but unlike Burroughs-Wellcome it's an architectural monstrosity. Probably a tear-down.
They also tore down the "fort" that used to be the EPA, where I worked in the 1990s.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:14 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
The former building at 9 Davis Drive was a tear-down also. It dated from 1967 and was ex-IBM, I believe. Many of these older buildings are infeasible (financially or technically) to bring into compliance with today's building codes, but no one wants to occupy them as-is.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM

544 posts, read 852,601 times
Quote:
The former building at 9 Davis Drive was a tear-down also. It dated from 1967 and was ex-IBM, I believe. Many of these older buildings are infeasible (financially or technically) to bring into compliance with today's building codes, but no one wants to occupy them as-is.
Speaking of old buildings, has you seen what the old WCPSS Central Office building on Wake Forest was turned into? I saw they took it down to the steel beams. It looks really attractive now. Not sure how they re-arranged the interior to be useful, but it looks great.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
Hi Francois - and the rest of the gang,

Thanks so much for checking out the piece! I am the author, and I'm working on a book about RTP. As part of the research, I am interviewing people who worked at RTP about their experiences. These comments alone have been highly illuminating, and I would love to speak to anyone about what it was like to work at BW, Glaxo, IBM, etc. and live in the Triangle over the years. This is me: [url]http://history.gsu.edu/profile/alexander-cummings-3/[/url] and I can be contacted at [email]alexcummings@gsu.edu[/email].

Thanks again,

Alex

P.S. Though I've read City Data many times over the years, this is my first time joining and posting, so I apologize if I make any mistakes or violate etiquette.

Last edited by AlexSayfCummings; 10-21-2016 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 05-11-2023, 11:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Not far away, Nortel's 82 acres and 700,000 square feet on the north side of NC 54 also sits vacant and slowly deteriorating. This is the original Nortel facility from 1982, but unlike Burroughs-Wellcome it's an architectural monstrosity. Probably a tear-down.
I see this is an OLD thread but still inviting comment.

I worked in that building as a Manpower temp for a few months in 1983/84. Huge building, humming like a beehive all the time. The company had 5 satellite offices out and around too. That was when their DMS-10 system was still a new thing and being sold to phone companies all over the world. No one there at the time would have ever foreseen the company folding.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:44 AM

The Nortel facility on the north side of 54 has been renovated and is partially occupied by paying tenants. Some of the parking lots, some of the landscaping, and the recreation fields are not in great shape. Otherwise, this has turned out to be not as bad as it looked at the time.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:06 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
The Nortel facility on the north side of 54 has been renovated and is partially occupied by paying tenants. Some of the parking lots, some of the landscaping, and the recreation fields are not in great shape. Otherwise, this has turned out to be not as bad as it looked at the time.
Good to hear that. I wonder about their other building they built after that. I never saw it that I recall but heard it was bigger. I don't even know the location, just somewhere in RTP.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:25 AM

They built several buildings on the south side of NC 54, across from the "big house". Those have been fully occupied by Fidelity for a long time now.

The other locations that Nortel owned were
- the former training center in west Raleigh that is now the NC Administrative Office of the Courts
- the former manufacturing plant adjacent to RTP that is now LCI Industries and GoTriangle
- the former manufacturing plant in Creedmoor that is now AISIN

I believe everything else was leased. Hard to imagine now, but at the peak in 2000 Nortel had about 13,500 headcount in the Triangle if you include onsite contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary