Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,773 times

Advertisements

Any organic lawn care company taking care of your lawn. How much does it cost for an single family home for an year ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 01:21 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
The other question you should be asking is: Is 100% organic lawn care effective?

Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Give Pleasant Green Grass, based out of Durham, a call and see if they could help you.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
We use Garden Supply Company. They do our lawn care. Organic/Natural. I couldn't tell you how much it would cost you because we have SOOOO many hollies that it throws off our total per month.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
we tried naturaLawn of America in Morrisville. It did NOTHING. waste of money. Yard looked worse a year later! Cost was not more than traditional lawn care companies

Old 11-28-2016, 06:39 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
We use Leapfrog which is owned by or affiliated with Garden Supply Company. They are not 100% organic, they use a pre-emergent not corn meal gluten. We have been happy with the results. If you want 100% organic I agree, call Pleasant Green Grass.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
We use Leapfrog which is owned by or affiliated with Garden Supply Company. They are not 100% organic, they use a pre-emergent not corn meal gluten. We have been happy with the results. If you want 100% organic I agree, call Pleasant Green Grass.
We use them, too. They do part of our work and Garden Supply does the rest.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:02 AM

656 posts, read 1,207,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The other question you should be asking is: Is 100% organic lawn care effective?
if they can control weeds, I will be happy

Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
If you want to save yourself some money and willing to spend a day or two, I can tell you what I've done to bring two dead lawns full of weeds (and crabgrass) back to lush and perfect. It'll cost probably 30% of what a lawn care company would charge you, and I can attest that you'll get better results (I fired my guy years ago and took it over myself). Some of it organic. Last yard was .28 acres. Current yard is .4 acres.

Place I shop (I'm in Northern Virginia outside of DC) is called Southern States Co-op. They have the best prices by far around here. You need to shop where the pros shop, and that isn't Home Depot.

Items used:
Caravan G ($50)
Tenacity ($60)
Drive XLRB ($50)
Surfactant (just type it in Amazon and you'll see it)
Alfalfa Meal ($15 per 50lbs bag)
Soybean Meal ($10 per 50lbs bag)
Tall Fescue grass seed. ($30 per 30lb bag)

Tools needed:
Backpack Sprayer ($80)
Spreader ($50)

Here's what each does. And, you can put all of this down at the same time (none hurt the seeds)

Caravan G by Syngenta - is a herbicide and pesticide granular. Use it once to essentially reset your lawn from the bad that's in there (disease, fungus, bad bugs). I can buy a 30lb bag from Southern States for $50 ($100+ on Amazon). It's just enough to cover my lawn.

Tenacity by Syngenta is a spray herbicide that wipes out a whole laundry list of weeds and bad grass (torpedo grass, clover, etc.).

Drive XLRB will wipe out all crab grass with total ease, no matter how mature the weed is.

Alfalfa Meal and Soybean Meal will make your grass seed go bonkers and germinate like wildfire and quickly! Will also feed your existing grass to bring it back to health too.

Tall Fescue is heat tolerant, relatively cheap, and beautiful (in my opinion).

Here's how I've used this stuff to bring back both lawns from the dead.
First, I mow with the bagger to basically clean the yard of debris.
Then I put down the Caravan G with the spreader (Scott's spreader from Home Depot or similar).
Then I mix the Tenacity, Drive XLR8, Surfactant in my sprayer per the instructions and spray the lawn in a walking pattern.
Then I put down the seed.
Then I put down the Alfalfa Meal
Then I put down the Soybean Meal

Then I water. Then I wait about 2 weeks before mowing again. When I do mow, I bag once more.

Then, I sit back and enjoy the compliments of my neighbors and answer their questions of "how'd you do that?"

At that point, if you want to hire an organic company to take over the management, you can. You'll be handing them a lawn in great shape to start with, so they'll be on spot to not screw it up.

The nice thing about the Drive XLR8 and Tenacity, is that it just takes a little to get the results. You'll likely have plenty left over if you need to spot check (or hit the lawn again later in general). I have probably enough left over to cover my entire lawn another two times each.

That's just my opinion. I had each of my lawns quoted to get to what I've got now. Was looking at well over $1,500/year in costs to do it. I tried for a year with Scott's. I'd say I got about 30% of what I wanted from them. Did a little research on the net and drove out to where the farmers shop and asked questions. These are the things I learned to do. In 3 weeks time, I had far exceeded what I was hoping to have in general from my lawn with this approach. No weeds, just pure grass. On my current lawn, which was essentially nothing but dead dead and dead when I started last March, I got to the point where in a couple of areas, I could mow and then set a golf ball on top of the grass and the grass would hold the ball off the ground. But, fall happened and I'm on hold until March to finish it up for a couple of areas that need shade grass instead.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
we tried naturaLawn of America in Morrisville. It did NOTHING. waste of money. Yard looked worse a year later! Cost was not more than traditional lawn care companies
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary