Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 PM

83 posts, read 240,830 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a TWC customer with a bundle and am planning on getting rid of cable and phone, but since I'm not a new customer, they're sticking me with a $74 price for internet only and $114 if I add phone. If I switch to AT&T, I can lock into a 2 year price of internet and phone for $70 ($50 for internet only and the price goes up to $60 after a year). Unfortunately these are my only two options for internet. So not sure what to do. Cutting the cord isn't saving me as much as I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi67 View Post
I'm currently a TWC customer with a bundle and am planning on getting rid of cable and phone, but since I'm not a new customer, they're sticking me with a $74 price for internet only and $114 if I add phone. If I switch to AT&T, I can lock into a 2 year price of internet and phone for $70 ($50 for internet only and the price goes up to $60 after a year). Unfortunately these are my only two options for internet. So not sure what to do. Cutting the cord isn't saving me as much as I thought.
Switch to Earthlink for Internet. $29.95 for 50/5 service for the 1st 6 months over TWC lines. You shouldnt have to turn in any equipment, just call them and they will switch you over. You will still be billed by TWC.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM

I checked Earthlink and that price is only for 6 months. It goes up to $41 after that, and the speed is even slower than AT&T. To stream on Roku I would need their more expensive plan of $39.99 for 6 months, and then it goes up to $51/mo. Doesn't seem like the best deal for what I need.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
I have the 50/5 Earthlink service and stream to Roku and Firestick. It's the $30/month plan explained to you in previous posts.

You really should listen to what we are telling you - it will save you hundreds of dollars a year, maybe more.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:34 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
At least we finally got over the phone hump!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:39 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
I'm about to make the switch. I have TWC 200/20 after tax right at 70 bucks. Going with att 1gig for 70$ (a bit of overkill?) have SlingTV for 20$, Obi with google voice, and Netflix so right at 100 for all my phone/tv/internet. I was paying satellite tv for over 5 years at 100 dollars by itself. My neighbor has had att gig for about 3 months and has had 0 issues. No data caps and he has avg'd 850/850

Old 12-06-2016, 06:48 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi67 View Post
Cutting the cord isn't saving me as much as I thought.
If you want a better deal, then you must learn to play the game with TWC. Call and threaten to cancel your service and ask to speak to the customer retention department. They can, and will, offer you a better price than the "regular" sales people. I've went as far as submitting a cancel service order only to have the TWC rep call me back the very next day asking why I cancelled and offering a better price deal with free HBO for three months.

You can also switch over to Earthlink and then when the promotional period ends go back to TWC as a new customer to get the promotional deals again with TWC. Earthlink is the exact same as TWC so you should see no difference in speed...at least I didn't when I went that route.

It's the same game with the satellite dish providers and Sirius XM radio....but none of them like to lose their existing customer base. Unfortunately it's a pain in the rear, but if you don't play their game then you won't save money.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
If you want a better deal, then you must learn to play the game with TWC. Call and threaten to cancel your service and ask to speak to the customer retention department. They can, and will, offer you a better price than the "regular" sales people. I've went as far as submitting a cancel service order only to have the TWC rep call me back the very next day asking why I cancelled and offering a better price deal with free HBO for three months.
This. You lose if you play nice.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 PM

210 posts, read 425,851 times
If you don't mind returning your equipment and be without service for a day or two, I would simply go ahead with the cancellation. After cancelling your service, then go online and order new service as a new customer. I have done that with no issues.

I have tried the threaten to cancel approach, and although they've offered me a different deal, the prices are usually not that good. They usually want me to drop my internet speed or lower my TV subscriptions, etc... I have also tried setting up a future cancellation date, and yes a rep does reach out to try to give me a better deal. Their deals never really work out.

As I said, the only thing that has worked for me has been to go through with your cancellation, and then order your new service online after the cancellation gone through. I have even been able to order new service after cancelling and my internet service was not fully cancelled yet.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
At least we finally got over the phone hump!
I'm still keeping my landline, just not discussing it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary