Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
"OMG the taxes are so much cheaper down there! I can finally afford that McMansion!"

that winter....

"OMG they do such a terrible job cleaning up snow and ice here!"
LOL

But we're feeding the troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:10 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL

But we're feeding the troll.
I'm not so sure it's a troll.

Some years ago, at our annual HOA meeting, we had one person in our little community of 144 homes (probably 80% retired or work from home) bitterly complain that his HOA fees didn't include plowing the roads in the winter. He wanted to get a contract and increase the HOA fees. He still doesn't get invited to many parties.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Yeah, I don't think it's a troll - just a new transplant understandably (IMO) surprised at the condition of the roads - normally I do think you can fight city hall, but on this one it's not gonna happen. So stock up with comfort food and make alternate plans if you can...

Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Most roads are and have been completely bare. It's the side roads that aren't so hot. This is a consequence of all the ice here. And during the day it heats up, partially melts, then freezes again at night.

It sucks. That is winter here in NC. It's just how it's done. In a few days we will be wearing t-shirts and maybe even flip-flops.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
I consider it part of the "slower pace of life" that is part of why many of us moved here. I try to embrace it, just like the Dunks and Micky D's that take 20x longer here

I do have an issue with it though if emergency vehicles can't get where they need to. I'm not sure how ambulances and fire trucks handle solid ice, but our tax money should at least ensure that we get emergency care when we need it.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
well I get frustrated too at the many days off from school but the bottom line here is that just about every storm since we moved here 6 years ago has left an impenetrable layer of ice, and ice can't be plowed no matter how badly we wish it were so. It's also unusual for us to not get above 32* for such a long stretch so the sun has been doing some melting but not much. Like wheelsup said I will be wearing flip flops on Friday.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
well I get frustrated too at the many days off from school but the bottom line here is that just about every storm since we moved here 6 years ago has left an impenetrable layer of ice, and ice can't be plowed no matter how badly we wish it were so. It's also unusual for us to not get above 32* for such a long stretch so the sun has been doing some melting but not much. Like wheelsup said I will be wearing flip flops on Friday.
You *can* prevent the ice with rock salt and keeping up with plowing. But that costs money, and I'd rather deal with it for a few days a year than have a big tax increase.

-Says the guy who works at home.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I was watching the news yesterday and they were showing small business owners in downtown Raleigh who said they were losing a lot of money because of the snow. One was a smoothie-type shop who said her business was down about 60% after the snow. Another was a yoga studio who said they normally have about 7 classes per day. Insteady they had none on Saturday, 1 on Sunday, and 2 on Tuesday. Another shop said they were at least grateful that there was some walking traffic in downtown or else they wouldn't have had much business at all. The longer the streets aren't plowed, the more the businesses suffer.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Y'all don't think this is just a regular trolling you? One post, complaining about snow removal, after all the other threads on the weather?

I think you're being snowed yourselves

Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM

598 posts, read 333,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You *can* prevent the ice with rock salt and keeping up with plowing. But that costs money, and I'd rather deal with it for a few days a year than have a big tax increase.
And with all that extra rock salt and plowing comes huge potholes and cars that rust a lot faster. Moving here from the northeast, that's something I do not miss. With the sorts of winters that are generally experienced around here, to me it doesn't seem like it would be worth the expense or the damage. I think as long as people can be prepared to stay home for a few days, and as long as emergency vehicles can get around, it's not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary