Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM

97 posts, read 115,334 times

Advertisements

We purchased our first home in mid-November of 2016. I have always done our taxes myself through turbo-tax, but I am wondering if it would be worth it to pay someone this time since we bought a house? Is there anything an account may be able to do to get us more money than turbo-tax? I can handle putting in the interest paid. But are there any NC first time home buyer write offs or anything like that which I may not be aware of and wouldn't get through turbo-tax?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
We purchased our first home in mid-November of 2016. I have always done our taxes myself through turbo-tax, but I am wondering if it would be worth it to pay someone this time since we bought a house? Is there anything an account may be able to do to get us more money than turbo-tax? I can handle putting in the interest paid. But are there any NC first time home buyer write offs or anything like that which I may not be aware of and wouldn't get through turbo-tax?

Thanks!
TurboTax is pretty good at walking you through the Fed and State returns and available deductions and credits.

I would suggest going through it and if not happy, have a professional tax preparer look at your stuff.
But, unless you have really complicated things, I would think you would be all right.

My wife is a corporate accountant and former CPA/tax accountant and loves TurboTax.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:02 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
That sounds like something standard enough that TurboTax would pick up any applicable writeoffs.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:20 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I'm an ex accountant. You can certainly use TurboTax.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:55 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post

Thanks!
I am like you. I did Turbo tax and first ones to do electronic filing. Then I got married and a house. I still did our taxes. Then the wife browbeat me to go to H&R to see if they could do better. Half way thru the interview the guy looked me straight in the eyes and asked " Why are you even here? You will be fine by yourself.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Turbo Tax is good. I've used it for years as a homeowner and a W2 employee who is also self employed.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:39 PM

425 posts, read 462,920 times
I agree with the others, shouldn't be an issue with doing it yourself. If you do decide to go see a professional, go see an actual professional, not one of the store fronts full of tax "preparers" who just went to a couple of evening classes, and is now somehow considered a tax professional. You are for all intensive purposes, paying someone with almost no more knowledge than you to type your info into a Turbo Tax type software system.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:19 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
To follow up with this question...do you need to request any particular forms to receive first-time homebuyer tax credit to file with turbo tax? I assume I'd get something from my mortgage company? My W-2 came today and my student loans were paid off this year so o assume I won't get a 1080.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
I don't understand the "see if they can do better" theory. Most people's returns are pretty standard, even with a house. How do these places "do better"?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
To follow up with this question...do you need to request any particular forms to receive first-time homebuyer tax credit to file with turbo tax? I assume I'd get something from my mortgage company? My W-2 came today and my student loans were paid off this year so o assume I won't get a 1080.

First time home buyer tax credits went away after 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary