Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Aldi has 15 stores in a special group to go head to head with Lidl. There's probably a 2nd group north of it. I found the group listing after going to the Gastonia Aldi. The group includes Danville & one or two stores in SC. Most stores in the group are in NC, including Wake Forest.

They didn't sufficiently check demographics. There are some products that are a real problem. The worst offender is Irish beef. $19.95 a pound will scare off a lot of customers, even in a Harris Teeter.
Yep. Another issue (for me anyway) is that the space Lidl is using to sell non-food related items (such as tools) could be used for food items. A small section is one thing but to use an entire aisle? Not needed in a grocery store IMO. I'll take Aldi over Lidl anyday and apparently others near me do too since Aldi is always packed and the checkout lines rival those found at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 06:36 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

-Speculation exists that some of their stores are doing poorly, with lightly trafficked stores. I heard they had halted construction on a couple of stores so they could re-evaluate their expansion plans.
Questions arise over Lidl

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Lidl store on hold

Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 AM

678 posts, read 738,526 times

"She said small towns and suburban locations make up most of the company's first wave of U.S. stores, but said Lidl was exploring options in larger markets."

Seems like Lidl's is picking some bad locations for some of its stores. I went to the one in Sanford, and it was booming. Lidl's could potentially take over the Food Lion/Walmart crowd if they position and market their stores right. For example, there's no plans for Lidl's in Fayetteville, and they could clean up there with the right location. Fay is mostly stupid Food Lions and Walmarts, Lidl's could do very well there

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
"She said small towns and suburban locations make up most of the company's first wave of U.S. stores, but said Lidl was exploring options in larger markets."

Seems like Lidl's is picking some bad locations for some of its stores. I went to the one in Sanford, and it was booming. Lidl's could potentially take over the Food Lion/Walmart crowd if they position and market their stores right. For example, there's no plans for Lidl's in Fayetteville, and they could clean up there with the right location. Fay is mostly stupid Food Lions and Walmarts, Lidl's could do very well there
I've been to Lidl in Sanford several times. Always packed. They do a lot of things very well, and a few things 'not so well'. All in all, worth going to, if you are in the area (same comment for Aldi, although each has their own pros and cons).

If they come to Cary, I'll intermittently go to both. (But yeah, I'd be fine if they replaced ladies leopard-skin jeans with some good cheese, or perhaps a new flavor of sparkling water....)

Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post

It seems like a combination of bad locations & few spectacularly bad inventory items. I can't say that the Irish beef is a bad call enough times. They're doing well, so far, in Gastonia, but I doubt that there have been any takers for the Irish beef. It was on a severe markdown the other day. They also need to watch the inventory better, for expiration dates.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:36 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Has anyone driven by and looked at the entrance/exit? Going south on Wake Forest Road, it seems very difficult to get in there. I don't thin there is a proper median and the entrance is rather awkward.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Has anyone driven by and looked at the entrance/exit? Going south on Wake Forest Road, it seems very difficult to get in there. I don't thin there is a proper median and the entrance is rather awkward.
Ironically, we drove up to the one in Wake Forest yesterday afternoon. We had nothing better to do.

Yes, it is a bit difficult to get into the parking lot, but there's plenty of parking. Frankly, there are plenty of shopping centers around here that are a PITA to enter and exit.

In regards to the shopping: Certain things were very cheap, particularly in the produce section. Cabbage 29 cents a pound. Caulifower for $1.49 a head. Etc. Some of the meat was reasonably priced, but we didn't buy any because we didn't need any. Some unusual and well priced items, too - balsamic glaze for $2.49 that I swear looks like the same stuff as TJ's for about twice the price with a different label. Bottle of bamboo shoots for less than a buck. FAR more brand name goods than Aldi, better selection of wine (but I'll still be hitting Costco and The Wine Cellar mostly) and the store is bright and pleasant. Staff is very pleasant.

I would absolutely go back if there were one closer or if I was in that neck of woods (which is highly unlikely).

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM

76 posts, read 56,554 times
We've shopped at the Wake Forest location multiple times since opening. Generally it's a solid offering, definitely true that if you watch their current sales you'll find very cheap produce. Coming from Europe, I liked the special products most: They have very good variety of German Bratwurst, a very good bakery section with original Brezel (which is a true gem as this is hard to find anywhere in the US normally), good European chocolate. We tried their chicken and beef on two occasions and were not impressed each time.
For us it's going to be a trip once a month at least to stock up on special items and take advantage of some of the sales.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkus View Post
We've shopped at the Wake Forest location multiple times since opening. Generally it's a solid offering, definitely true that if you watch their current sales you'll find very cheap produce. Coming from Europe, I liked the special products most: They have very good variety of German Bratwurst, a very good bakery section with original Brezel (which is a true gem as this is hard to find anywhere in the US normally), good European chocolate. We tried their chicken and beef on two occasions and were not impressed each time.
For us it's going to be a trip once a month at least to stock up on special items and take advantage of some of the sales.
Did you try the Skyr?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM

76 posts, read 56,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did you try the Skyr?
We didn't yet. My wife is die-hard Trader Joe's yoghurt fan, so this might take a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary