Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Of course you don't fight it. You were guilty. Take your points and pay up, then never do it again.
Bad Idea. We don't have a collaborative justices system here. Its adversarial, meaning, its on you to defend yourself or get someone to do it for you. The court isn't going to look at your side unless you present it.

Either a lawyer or PFJ would work about the same and cost the same, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 PM

148 posts, read 170,693 times
Agreed with both getting a lawyer (it's your right in the system we have - you won't get any kudos for "doing the right thing") and not wasting your PFJ on this. Barring an incompetent lawyer, you not telling us the whole story, or a judge who isn't aware of how wheels are greased here, you will very very easily get off on an improper equipment or something like that. Please do not be surprised when the fine you pay for your reduced charge is EXACTLY THE SAME as what you would have paid had you just paid the ticket. Only difference is that the lawyer gets a one-time fee instead of the insurance companies (who aren't involved in the back scratching arrangement) getting a multiple year fee.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
^^^beautiful thing to see some facts/knowledge around here

Old 02-08-2017, 07:38 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
1. I would suggest the OP search "ticket" on the Forum, and look for Wake County results.

2. Show up at court, dressed and acting appropriately.

3. Ask the bailiff how to speak briefly with the ADA.

4. Quickly explain the situation to the ADA "I was stopped for rolling a stop sign. I have never had a ticket in my 16 years of driving. Would you please dismiss the ticket?"

5. If the ADA insists No, then ask them for a PJC (if you've been 16 years, why won't you go 3? And even if you don't, then the attorney earns their money getting you off both charges).

6. If for some really odd reason, after being so polite and forthright, and quick in their time, they say "No" then simply request a continuance until you can get an attorney.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:58 PM

18 posts, read 87,280 times
Thank you all for these great advice! I will definitely give it a try. If anybody knows a good attorney, please PM me. I'd rather delegate this matter to him/her instead of entertaining myself to the courtroom.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Some insurance companies forgive one ticket. If yours does that, pay it.

If not, you will pay more for insurance than a lawyer would cost.

You can also go to court and see if the DA will cut you a deal. If not, you can ask for a continuance and hire an attorney.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:51 AM

Never, ever, ever, ever even ask your insurance company about forgiving a ticket. Never put this on their radar. Paying a ticket is almost never a good idea. Can't think of a single instance where it is...maybe one exists, but it ain't this one. Don't pay it.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:17 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
It has been over 5 years, but when I got a stop sign ticket, I called two lawyers and both told me to take the PJC. They said if it was speeding, they could help me with improper equipment, or whatever, but for a stop sign violation I would need to do the PJC. I went to court for myself, did not pay any lawyer anything, asked for PJC, got it, and was very careful for the next 3 years. . .no points and no insurance increase. I think I did have to pay court fees, but not the actual ticket. Again, things may have changed over the last several years, but just sharing my experience.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
I had this same thing happen to me back in 2013. I thought I stopped but knew it would be the cop's word against mine. I had no tickets and no points on my license at the time and was told by people on this board to use the PJC and it would be like nothing ever happened. Well I did that - and it was a total, complete, absolute disaster. I might as well not have done anything and just paid the ticket by mail. Instead, I made a trip to the courthouse, went before the judge, asked and got the PJC and thought that was it. A couple of months later, my insurance rates skyrocket almost doubling - so I called them and they said it was due to the stop sign violation. So I was puzzled. I went to the DMV and got a copy of my record - and sure enough - there was everything listed - the violation, the PJC, etc....and none of it did a damn bit of good. Over the next 3 years (6 insurance periods), the total increase in my premiums because of that ticket were well over $1000 and that is in addition to the cost of the $200 court fees I had to pay when I got the PJC. I spent hours and hours and days and days and weeks and weeks on the phone with everyone you can imagine - from the Insurance Commissioner, my insurance company, the DMV - and most frustratingly, the reporting agency - a mysterious company called Lexis Nexis and NONE of them were any help. I eventually just gave up out of frustration and being so upset that it wasn't worth the stress anymore. But the bottom line is all this crap you read about the PJC being the solution and the way to go to make things better - don't believe it.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 AM

^^^reality.

These are pirates, people. Thieves. The system is designed to *********, to lead you to dead ends like the above. UNLESS you pay into their scam. Lawyers, court fees, fines...that's all they really want. Another example of how this system works. If you've got dough and youve got influence....what else do you need? Unless you're in VA, the lust for law enforcement there often trumps wealth. It's "worth it" to lock up a Jason Werth for extreme speeding, as an example, because the press and power they get from it is more valuable than the grease they would get from Werth. Not trying to debate whether going 100mph is acceptable or not, just pointing out an example where wealth and influence, as a form of corruption, couldn't overcome a stronger form of corruption, which is power. I digress.

Basically, there is no right and wrong here anymore, unfortunately, traffic enforcement for the most part is a scam. Believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary