Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:38 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times

Advertisements

Interesting. So nothing preventing it that you're aware of, but you've only seen it applied to IE. Have you seen them shut down a stop sign IE reduction attempt? Also curious, what's the highest amt over the limit you've seen get reduced to IE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyourself View Post
I know this question must have been asked many times, I read a lot of posts but would like to get some information specific to Wake County District Court.

For the first time in my 16 year driving history, I was given the first citation this morning for rolling a stop sign in Morrisville. This is my first ticket so you can imagine how nervous I was/am. I am usually the very defensive driver, but I didn't come to a full stop this time.

The cop stopped me and said "I stopped you because you didn't stop at the stop sign". I just handed over my driver's license didn't say anything, thinking she would give me a warning or something after checking my history, wrong, she came back with my first ticket.

Well, I can just pay the ticket and take the points. But the 3-point on DL really sucks, it is as bad as speeding up to 55mph. I don't want to see a huge insurance hike.

If I fight for it, do I stand a good chance to get this case dismissed if I talk to the DA or ADA? or downgrade it to a non-moving violation such as equipment failure? I heard many successful stories online but there are quite a few people claim that Wake county court is especially tough on this type of citation, tougher than speeding or other moving violations.

I am aware of the PJC option, but I don't want to waste it on such a minor case. If on the court date the DA only offers PJC, can I request a continuance and then hire a lawyer to deal with it? Does it have any negative impact if I talk to the DA myself first? Or would it be wise to just hire a lawyer to deal with it? If so, any recommendations? Can the attorney guarantee to drop the case? Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you very much for reading this! I am looking forward to any constructive ideas and suggestions.
I got nailed speeding two and a half years ago. My friends in insurance all recommended that I not sweat it. It appears that a three point ticket has little effect for people who had a previously clean record. My insurance didn't budge, my credit rating didn't move (yes, for a while, they were using license points to calculate credit), nothing happened. After three years, the points will be gone.

Look at all the TV commercials where the insurance companies are fiercely competing for your business - "disappearing deductible", "full replacement", "one year better replacement", "accident forgiveness." I am not saying that everyone get's off, but if I were you, I'd pay the ticket and be done with it - and drive more carefully - at least for the next three years.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I got nailed speeding two and a half years ago. My friends in insurance all recommended that I not sweat it. It appears that a three point ticket has little effect for people who had a previously clean record. My insurance didn't budge, my credit rating didn't move (yes, for a while, they were using license points to calculate credit), nothing happened. After three years, the points will be gone.

Look at all the TV commercials where the insurance companies are fiercely competing for your business - "disappearing deductible", "full replacement", "one year better replacement", "accident forgiveness." I am not saying that everyone get's off, but if I were you, I'd pay the ticket and be done with it - and drive more carefully - at least for the next three years.
Don't take this advice. It is literally YMMV, couldn't be MORE YMMV. If the insurance company has any reason to pull your driving record (IE you apply for new insurance, you modify your policy, etc) they see the infraction, and 3pts is absolutely dangerous for them to be aware of regardless of driving history. That's assuming that they don't pull it for other purposes, and they miss the notification if one is sent. Don't bet on the above outcome, and again never ever ever ever ever ever just pay it, unless you purposely want the worst outcome (IE to punish yourself perhaps, who knows what would drive someone to the worst outcome).

Old 02-11-2017, 07:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Don't take this advice. It is literally YMMV, couldn't be MORE YMMV. If the insurance company has any reason to pull your driving record (IE you apply for new insurance, you modify your policy, etc) they see the infraction, and 3pts is absolutely dangerous for them to be aware of regardless of driving history. That's assuming that they don't pull it for other purposes, and they miss the notification if one is sent. Don't bet on the above outcome, and again never ever ever ever ever ever just pay it, unless you purposely want the worst outcome (IE to punish yourself perhaps, who knows what would drive someone to the worst outcome).
I have made changes to both my HO and the insurance on all three of my current cars - dropping one and adding a different one - over the last three years - no effect. Now OP, it may be because you are talking about NC and I, SC so take my experience or leave it - your choice.

BTW, what is YMMV?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-11-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM

203 posts, read 327,750 times
Insurance companies automatically pull your driving record report every 6 months to check for new violations, not when you make changes. The impact a ticket or accident has depends on your account history, your overall record, and the records of others in your household.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM

YMMV = your mileage/market may vary. Meaning, that's not something I would bank on to be a consistently repeatable outcome.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Quote:
Interesting. So nothing preventing it that you're aware of, but you've only seen it applied to IE. Have you seen them shut down a stop sign IE reduction attempt? Also curious, what's the highest amt over the limit you've seen get reduced to IE?

In Wake I believe they have a hard cap at 20 over. Orange and Durham will grant typically up to 22 or 23 if the driver takes a class.

Nothing preventing it legally but the DAs simply won't offer it on anything other than speeding in Wake County. Each county is different- there are certainly some that will grant them on stop sign/red light violations. They are great revenue generators as they always have a 50 dollar state statutory fine attached and typically have a 25 dollar county fine as well.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I had no tickets and no points on my license at the time and was told by people on this board to use the PJC and it would be like nothing ever happened. Well I did that - and it was a total, complete, absolute disaster. I might as well not have done anything and just paid the ticket by mail. Instead, I made a trip to the courthouse, went before the judge, asked and got the PJC and thought that was it.
Two things - 1. did you DIY?
2. Were you assigned a defensive driving course? I didn't see that in the list of things you mentioned.

My guess is that you were ordered to do something (community service, defensive driving, etc.) and didn't comply in the required time.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
^^^reality.

These are pirates, people. Thieves. The system is designed to *********, to lead you to dead ends like the above. UNLESS you pay into their scam. Lawyers, court fees, fines...that's all they really want. Another example of how this system works. If you've got dough and youve got influence....what else do you need? Unless you're in VA, the lust for law enforcement there often trumps wealth. It's "worth it" to lock up a Jason Werth for extreme speeding, as an example, because the press and power they get from it is more valuable than the grease they would get from Werth. Not trying to debate whether going 100mph is acceptable or not, just pointing out an example where wealth and influence, as a form of corruption, couldn't overcome a stronger form of corruption, which is power. I digress.

Basically, there is no right and wrong here anymore, unfortunately, traffic enforcement for the most part is a scam. Believe it.
Some truckers add miles to their trips to avoid VA.

The only way to stop these lowlives is to change your plans to cut out VA and let the governor know why.

Hit these bums in the pocketbook.

If you must travel there, try to use cruise control if available and go slow in the right lane.

My son got burned there years ago and has never entered that state again.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Definitely never go over 80 in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary