Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
A 16-year-old Mitsubishi with nearly 200k on the clock? I'd just be glad it runs.
What did you expect with this age and mileage?

I once bought a used California Highway Patrol interceptor with 106K miles and it was in perfect shape. The highway patrol took great care of their vehicles.

You really need a good inspection before purchase. A dealer, however, must be sure any car purchased other than for parts will pass NC inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros_dude View Post
4. The biggest discovery and the one that has me concerned is the fact that when I took it to meineke for an Oil change, they discovered the oil pan has been patched and plugged and they could unplug it but they couldn't guarantee they could plug it up.

I was quoted $1400 for repairs for the oil pan which was also repeated by several other shops as well. Given its year and mileage (190,000) I was told it wasn't worth it.
Well, there's one problem. I'm guessing even if you needed your headlight fluid reservoir changed, they would have done it for $1,400.

Stripped oil drain plugs are not uncommon. Take it to an independent mechanic and ask them to put a self-tapping plug in there. I had to do that to an older vehicle I had.

All is not lost. Take things one step at a time and don't rely on a "name brand" place (or even the dealer) to do the work. I'm not knocking their end product, it's that you're paying a premium for the convenience.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:34 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Youtube changing the oil pan. I haven't looked in a while, but it seems like its a simple fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary