Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM

75 posts, read 77,847 times

Advertisements

Each year we spread out 40-60 cubic yards of mulch in our gardens. That's 2-4 large dump truck loads.

I buy the mulch and I hire my kids and some of their friends to help spread it over a week or so.

I might not have the time to do it this year and was wanting to find a company that will deliver and spread quality mulch that won't cost a fortune considering how much we put out.

Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,057 times
There might be a local high school that has a fundraiser selling and spreading mulch. I know last year Green Hope's football team did this in the spring. There were several types of mulch to chose from and it was delivered to each home and then the players came and did the spreading. I am hoping that they will be doing it again this year. Haven't been able to find out yet, but there might be a local school near you that is doing the same.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM

650 posts, read 930,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2help View Post
Each year we spread out 40-60 cubic yards of mulch in our gardens. That's 2-4 large dump truck loads.

I buy the mulch and I hire my kids and some of their friends to help spread it over a week or so.

I might not have the time to do it this year and was wanting to find a company that will deliver and spread quality mulch that won't cost a fortune considering how much we put out.

Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.
We have our own pickup and go get multch by the front end loader dump. Call them and see if they do that service. Just off Ten Ten in Raleigh

John Atkins Topsoil Fill dirt Landscaping materials 919-779-2539

John L. Atkins II Grading & Landscaping Materials in Apex, NC | 3724 Johnson Pond Rd, Apex, NC

Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Not to sidetrack the thread, but what are the advantages/disadvantages to pine straw versus bark much? Up nawwwth pine straw wasn't a thing, so it was always bark mulch.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Pine straw is acidic and is good under azaleas and some bushes that like acid. Otherwise, hardwood mulch is much better.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
We have our own pickup and go get multch by the front end loader dump. Call them and see if they do that service. Just off Ten Ten in Raleigh

John Atkins Topsoil Fill dirt Landscaping materials 919-779-2539

John L. Atkins II Grading & Landscaping Materials in Apex, NC | 3724 Johnson Pond Rd, Apex, NC

That is where I typically get it. I live close by so they will deliver. I'm looking for a company that can probably buy mulch wholesale (because they deal in volume) and do the spreading. With a team of laborers they can probably do it in a day or two.

Spreading mulch actually takes a bit of practice to do with well so I'd prefer to hire a crew that has experience doing this.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
There might be a local high school that has a fundraiser selling and spreading mulch. I know last year Green Hope's football team did this in the spring. There were several types of mulch to chose from and it was delivered to each home and then the players came and did the spreading. I am hoping that they will be doing it again this year. Haven't been able to find out yet, but there might be a local school near you that is doing the same.
These "fundraisers" simply sell bags of mulch. It is fine for a very small amount of mulch but they don't do large volumes like I need for my garden, at least not in a cost effective way.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2help View Post
These "fundraisers" simply sell bags of mulch. It is fine for a very small amount of mulch but they don't do large volumes like I need for my garden, at least not in a cost effective way.
I know Green Hope Football did not use bags of mulch. It was delivered by dump truck to each house and they purchased it by the yard - I can't quite remember how many yards were in a full load though. You had a choice as to how many times the mulch had been shredded and color. It was actually a pretty good deal.

It does sound you would be happier with a professional crew though.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Why do you want to mulch? Hardwood mulch is really not recommended for many applications. Great for inhibiting growth, though, if you've got somewhere like a path that you don't want stuff to grow. As it decomposes it sucks nitrogen out of the soil. Compost is much better if you're wanting to put it around flower or garden beds.

You Bet Your Garden - Wood Mulch! What is it Good For? (Actually, Some Things….)
All about Mulch
~5 Things You Should Know About Wood Chip Mulch~ - Reformation Acres

Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Why do you want to mulch? Hardwood mulch is really not recommended for many applications. Great for inhibiting growth, though, if you've got somewhere like a path that you don't want stuff to grow. As it decomposes it sucks nitrogen out of the soil. Compost is much better if you're wanting to put it around flower or garden beds.

You Bet Your Garden - Wood Mulch! What is it Good For? (Actually, Some Things….)
All about Mulch
~5 Things You Should Know About Wood Chip Mulch~ - Reformation Acres

I have an acre of gardens. If I don't mulch I have an acre of weeds. I put compost on the beds before I mulch on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary