Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

There are two mid-century mod houses for sale on Clayton Dr in Chapel Hill now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:47 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I know the neighborhoods you are thinking of around Estes Hill Elementary. I think the homes are well built and well maintained. Of course, maintenance is dependent on the owner.

As for 1960's-era construction, there will not be enough insulation or electric plugs. Check the breaker box to see if it meets more current construction codes. A lot of the homes have been updated so you hope for better windows and insulation and electric plugs.

Another thing to think about with a 60-year-old wooded neighborhood is the life expectancy of the trees. Though we all would love for them to live forever, there is a life cycle.
My boss and his wife have been scouring that area around Estes Hills for a house for for the past two years. They live in Downing Creek right now and want to get back into CHCCS before their oldest daughter starts kindergarten. The houses there rarely go on the market and sell pretty quickly once they do for the most part...modernist or not. A lot of them have basements too.

There is that one on the corner of Elliot and Audobon that has been under heavy renovation for months that would be what I'd call the epitome of "modernist" houses....has a courtyard and pool surrounded on 4 sides by the house itself with floor to ceiling windows.....very interesting. I'm not sure if it was recently sold and the new owner is doing the major renovation or if the current owner is renovating it to sell (or if they are just renovating it to their taste)...but I'd keep an eye on it if I were OP to see if it hits the market after renovations.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 03-03-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 05:11 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
There is that one on the corner of Elliot and Audobon that has been under heavy renovation for months that would be what I'd call the epitome of "modernist" houses....has a courtyard and pool surrounded on 4 sides by the house itself with floor to ceiling windows.....very interesting. I'm not sure if it was recently sold and the new owner is doing the major renovation or if the current owner is renovating it to sell (or if they are just renovating it to their taste)...but I'd keep an eye on it if I were OP to see if it hits the market after renovations.
The Arthur Cogswell house. He was an architect and designed some of the modernist homes mentioned. It sold a couple of years ago and the reno has been going on since then. Before the reno started there was a tour of the house as a fund-raiser.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The Arthur Cogswell house. He was an architect and designed some of the modernist homes mentioned. It sold a couple of years ago and the reno has been going on since then. Before the reno started there was a tour of the house as a fund-raiser.
Sounds right! My boss who is the one looking for homes in that area went on the tour a while ago and told me about the courtyard/pool. Sounds like a cool house but honestly looks pretty ugly on the outside. Like a sterile 70s office complex or something.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
We went to the tour.
It was an amazing house, and would have been a wonderful place for entertaining. Artful, faithful renovation would have been extremely expensive.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We went to the tour.
It was an amazing house, and would have been a wonderful place for entertaining. Artful, faithful renovation would have been extremely expensive.
Found pictures of the inside....very impressive. Seems that the upkeep and utility bills would be very expensive though.

308 N. Elliott Road

Looks like something out of a 007 movie!

I drive by that house almost every day....They've been working on it for a LONG time..outside still looks exactly the same but I imagine they are doing a ton inside to bring it back to what it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary