Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
When I'm first in line I'm always watching to see when the light turns green. When it does I do a quick glance in each direction before pulling off. The last thing I want is somebody honking at me. Occasionally a driver will honk anyway just as soon as the light changes
Ugh. That is so annoying.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but some lights take so long to change that I just start thinking about something and sort of space out while waiting. In this case I appreciate a reminder from the drivers behind. I never use cell phone when driving.

What is super-annoying though is someone behind honking when you are turning right on red. Sorry but I'm not going to proceed until I feel safe, no matter how much you are in a hurry. Just chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If you are first in line, you should be staring at the light without blinking, and press the gas within .0000001 of it turning green.

In all seriousness I honk at people that sit at green lights on a daily basis. I dont think Waze is to blame for it.
"Daily basis"? I've never seen anyone sit that long. Anymore than 10 minutes and I'll call 911 for an EMT to check them out.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
I get the phone being holstered to your vents for gps purposes. But I do not think ANYONE should be doing anything else with their phone while behind the wheel... period. Even using voice technology to send a text. It distracts you from what you should be concentrating on. STOP IT!
Right, because you've never carried on a conversation with someone in the car while driving? Tell me how it's different. In fact, my voice texting isn't a full conversation.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There was a study I saw last year that said that sending a text via voice in the car was more distracting/dangerous than doing it from your phone itself.
Please provide the study. Because I don't see how that's remotely possible.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:14 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ok that wasn't correct but here's the study from the Texas A&M Transportation Institute: https://tti.tamu.edu/group/cts/texting-and-driving/

Major findings from the study included:

Driver response times were significantly delayed no matter which texting method was used. In each case, drivers took about twice as long to react as they did when they weren’t texting. With slower reaction times, drivers are less able to take action in response to sudden roadway hazards, such as a swerving vehicle or a pedestrian in the street.
The amount of time that drivers spent looking at the roadway ahead was significantly less when they were texting, no matter which texting method was used.
For most tasks, manual texting required slightly less time than the voice-to-text method, but driver performance was roughly the same with both.
Drivers felt less safe when they were texting, but felt safer when using a voice-to-text application than when texting manually, even though driving performance suffered equally with both methods.

A quote from the lead researcher in another article:

Yager said speech-to-text actually took longer than traditional texting, due to the need to correct errors in the electronic transcription.
"You're still using your mind to try to think of what you're trying to say, and that by proxy causes some driving impairment, and that decreases your response time," Yager said.
The biggest concern is that the driver felt safer while using voice-to-text applications instead of traditional texting, even though driving performance was equally affected, she said.
This may lead to a false belief that texting while driving using spoken commands is safe when in reality it is not, Yager said.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
More on WAZE

Waze and other traffic dodging apps prompt cities to game the algorithms

Traffic complaints from NIMBYs might increase!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:56 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

93 pages of fun stuff:

http://comm.stanford.edu/mm/2013/01/...-MA-Thesis.pdf

Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
You know what's even worse? I've had people slam on their brakes ahead of me, exactly as the light turns yellow, so that gives them MORE time to send a text or dial their phones!

Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
More on WAZE

Waze and other traffic dodging apps prompt cities to game the algorithms

Traffic complaints from NIMBYs might increase!
HAHA the comments in that USA Today article are hilarious - yes us traffic engineers intentionally design roads so that you have to sit in congestion so we're to blame for the people cutting through your neighborhood. Maybe the people who insist on driving in vehicles where 75% of the space they take up of the road is unoccupied are to blame........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary