Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Plenty of houses for sale under $300k in Woodcroft, which is a great neighborhood, with a fantastic pool, great walking trails, good schools, close to shopping, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:04 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
One thing to consider is RE Taxes. They vary widely across the towns, and it may/may not affect your preference for a certain town.

We have friends in Chapel Hill and really love that town. So when we were making plans to relocate from the north, we set our sites on settling there, but it quickly became apparent that coupled with the higher RE costs, the higher RE taxes in CH put the monthly payment out of reach.

The difference between a town that has a 1% RE tax rate ($250/mos on a 300K house) vs 1.65% RE tax rate ($413/mos on a 300K house) can be significant.

Too many people focus just on the sales price of the house when RE taxes and HOA fees are equally important to consider for the "all in" amount you'll end up paying each month. I don't know if homeowner's insurance/flood insurance varies by locale, but that's another piece of the equation.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM

420 posts, read 452,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post

...Holly Springs....... not so much. Expensive, homogenous (not diverse), upper middle class vanilla stay at home soccer moms in McMansions with husband working from home making mid six figures+, no downtown or history, no sense of community, far out and not convenient to any of the established metros with long commutes, only recently popular after the completion of the 540 toll which makes the drive to RTP "manageable" at 20-30 minutes each way.... for a price ($5 round trip...adds up). Big cultural event is "Beericana" -where a bunch of twenty somethings stand out in the middle of an open field and get wasted. Overall, think Melrose Place x Desperate Housewives.
Hate on Holly Springs much? I don't live in a McMansion, I am not a soccer Mom, I don't have a husband that works from home and I am not a Desperate Housewife. I live in a community with some of the sweetest curb appeal that I have seen in the triangle and am located on the border of Cary so that Cary and downtown Raleigh are a hop, skip, and jump away.

There are lots of complex factors that go into a choice of where to live and that is why ppl have to see places for themselves. These generalizations help NO ONE. You of all people should understand this. Do you like it when people get on Cary's case? Do you know how many people from I know from Cary that say that HS reminds them of Cary when it began growing and bursting at the seams? Of course, Cary's location will always set it apart but give Holly Springs and the stereotype a break.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPNCMari View Post
Well, in light of this definition I can't argue with the previous ranking. So glad I know this word now. I think I may have to start using it myself.

Thanks!
Please don't. Many people use it as an insult.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 PM

11 posts, read 7,485 times
Holly Springs

History & Demographics:
I've lived in Holly Springs since 1997. I'm in the middle of town, surrounded N, S, E, W by black neighborhoods, so it doesn't seem to me in town here entirely "homogenous". Sure, the surrounding areas have grown and with a larger white population coming in than the native 900 ppl who lived here in the 80s who were mostly black. But then again, go back in time, it used to be a very white town until the GI bill in the 40's incentivized "white flight" to the cities where the college jobs were, and yet the town not only managed well, but during the 1970s they started an infrastructure campaign that set the seed for such a voluminous growth in the 90s by having a very modern waste water treatment plant. They really planned ahead knowing Cary would push through and connect Apex to Fuquay. The main park near town and community center is named after an African American, Parrish Womble who served as town council member for most of the time I've lived here. Hispanics play soccer there on weekends and after work when the community soccer season isn't hogging all the goals. HS also has a higher asian community than other towns/cities nearby. We have the best Tai restaurant IMO, a few good Mexican places (the new one Mi Cancun being very good), Greek Basma which is really Moroccan, a sub place that last I knew was owned by Palestinians, Korean dryer, Indian doctors (My wife's doctor is African American here), Niche is half owned by an Albanian with a huge Italian background, etc, so it seems rather 'ethnic' to me in terms of business owners and service having come from NYC. Well, the food is generally better here at any rate. I personally wish there was more of a hispanic presence, whom I typically only see for lawn maintenance, construction, cooking, and services, but that's more because I love pickup soccer games. So I travel 35m every week since 2000 to Chatham county to get my soccer fix.

It's Caucasian stats are similar to Apex, and mostly due to the large influx of new people, who are mostly Caucasian, so this is happening in a lot of the area all over. And since I spend a huge part of my time at work, there is a definite multi-ethnic workforce in the area.

Community:
I have the overall sense of it being, as I half jokingly called it, "breederville", as it really is a community for raising your 1-3+ kids and doesn't have a sense of community for most because of that growth and family-centric narcissism that the under 40 seem to possess. But there is a community here, you just have to hit the center town bars (My Way Tavern & Niche) to learn about them and their long history, but they tent to be "tight" since they are small numbers. Same with Fuquay.

Housing:
I think the larger housing that does exist in some parts (famously Sunset) have more to due with Northern and Western cost of living being higher. I think a lot of this money is from selling houses in such places of higher standard of living or just inheritance so that their personal salaries only have to pay the property taxes (and higher utility costs) I say this because, well, not everyone is a doctor, veterinarian, dentist or lawyer with their own practice. The median income in town is in the mid $65k or so and in the richer neighborhoods about $95k. And even "richer" places like Sunset have smaller Charleston styled housing and townhouse styles homes. Plus there are newer apartment complexes going in to allow for a more proportional socio-ecomonic demographic, but it's all going to be "new", not established.

Most of the homes I see in the area are 3 bedroom 2 bath, even large ones, and because the home ownership is so high currently (88%), I think this has a lot to do with the relatively low crime rate.

If I put my house on the market, it would be sold before it hit the market by word of mouth through realtors. And people would be clamoring me to pay more than I asked for to outbid each other. Before this latest population rush, most houses took 1-3 months to sell, even in the worst of the housing market post 2007. The town also was in the black through that period investing in further growth to handle the projected new population.

Property owners who rent have no trouble renting and keeping renters. The number of places vacant has stayed about 5% for a number of years and I think thats just a turnover number like for employment.

Commute:
I'm used to 25m traveling to work in Raleigh these days, and it beats the 75m drive I had in NYC or any of the 1 hour subway/train commutes I used to have. Sure it would be great to live 12m from my job, but then my spouse would be 25m. So being married always has the compromise, as does job hopping. It's best to try and situate yourself in the "center" to handle these changes and Cary would technically be that center, but Holly Springs is becoming one too (due to 540, and the cost of the toll road, tho entirely unfair, is nothing like that of other cities.

Haunts:
I say this to just make a point. You can walk between 3 bars and 2 wine lounges, and even drink at Lowes, so it's not exactly Coats, NC here. But you'll likely have to drive to the movie theatre. That said, this place was WAY popular before 540 ever dropped a shovel nearby. HS was the largest growing town in America throughout much of the 2000s.

What I like about HS is you can do a lot here now, or just go elsewhere for entertainment to do things and Uber back back to a relatively sleepy, safe, good looking, and peaceful place.

Awards & Accolades:

This looks too good to be true, but it's not, it's actually true:
Town of Holly Springs Awards and Accolades | Holly Springs, NC - Official Website

Summary:
You just about can't find a better place to live and raise a family in America (or the world) than Holly Springs, and people know it.
About the only things I don't like are true of much of the region: Allergies, heat, and growing traffic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary