Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 04:13 PM
NDS NDS started this thread

58 posts, read 65,260 times

Advertisements

With the heat crusher we’re looking at the next week or many, trying to come up with a list of indoor activities - outside of the home - that are available in RDU, and coming up pretty short! For some reason thought at least limited theater / movies / museum locations were open, even if book in advance, but doesn’t seem like it. What are you doing - outside of your home, but in temp control - to keep from going mad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 04:28 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Get up, eat, drink, sleep. That’s about how things are going. One of these will help keep you more sane than the others.

Seriously though, I have no suggestions. I think some escape rooms are open but they’re expensive. The governor really screwed places like bowling alleys. No reason whatsoever they shouldn’t be able to open at limited capacity.

There’s always the mall, which is super safe lately. Big brawl at the food court at Crabtree this weekend, and a shooting in Fayetteville. Protesters at Southpoint.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:32 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I can't understand why restaurants and Glenwood south bars that I guess aren't "bars" are open, but not movie theatres. I do not understand the danger of a movie theatre where no one is moving and talking. Separate everyone. Not that hard.

I suggest Southpoint Mall to walk around. Went there last week and no one was there.

If we get a decent day and you don't mind going outside, I suggest the observation deck at RDU, you can watch the planes take off and land and listen to ATC. It's strangely relaxing (and shaded) - bring a lunch and make a picnic of it.

Last edited by twingles; 07-19-2020 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 04:34 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
There really are no "safe" indoor outings right now. Some are lower risk than others. I wouldn't even consider going to a theater, museum, etc. right now, even if they were open.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:42 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
With the heat crusher we’re looking at the next week or many, trying to come up with a list of indoor activities - outside of the home - that are available in RDU, and coming up pretty short! For some reason thought at least limited theater / movies / museum locations were open, even if book in advance, but doesn’t seem like it. What are you doing - outside of your home, but in temp control - to keep from going mad?
the mall?

If the Gov has said movie theaters must stay closed, they're closed. That's "indoor gatherings exceeding 10 people"

I'm going about normally around town, except for social distancing and there's no bars and few restaurants open for dine-in.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The governor really screwed places like bowling alleys. No reason whatsoever they shouldn’t be able to open at limited capacity.
We were really looking forward to the bowling alleys reopening (with precautions of course) and were so disappointed when they couldn't. My son loves it, and it seems at least as safe if not safer than other things people can do now.

With the dangerously high heat outside, and almost no indoor things other than shopping and restaurants open, we're getting quite stir crazy at my house too, and it's a small house. I'm going to have to up my game as entertainment coordinator.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:00 PM

Oh, we got out to Barnes and Noble today. It was kind of nice. The Starbucks inside is open and a few people were sitting at the tables there. They have the doors to the place open so you don't have to take hold of the handles. It wasn't crowded and they've removed a lot of displays to keep people from congregating. A litle worried about touching stuff that others may have handled but that's where the hand sanitizer and hand washing come in. They have plexiglass up at the checkout.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 PM

89 posts, read 104,397 times
Some bowling alleys are open in a very limited capacity. I read Buffaloe Lanes is open. You have to make a reservation for an hour of bowling. And they only allow up to 10 bowlers at a time for now. Lots of other safety measures being taken too. https://buffaloelanes.com/cary/Home/Covid-19-Operations

Old 07-19-2020, 05:06 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh, we got out to Barnes and Noble today. It was kind of nice. The Starbucks inside is open and a few people were sitting at the tables there. They have the doors to the place open so you don't have to take hold of the handles. It wasn't crowded and they've removed a lot of displays to keep people from congregating. A litle worried about touching stuff that others may have handled but that's where the hand sanitizer and hand washing come in. They have plexiglass up at the checkout.
Which one was this at if you don't mind me asking? Barnes and Noble is one of my son's favorite places, but we haven't been since they reopened because I wasn't sure what it would be like. I was concerned the one at Southpoint might be too busy. Was leaning towards the one in Cary since it usually seems less crowded.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Which one was this at if you don't mind me asking? Barnes and Noble is one of my son't favorite places, but we haven't been since they reopened because I wasn't sure what it would be like. I was concerned the one at Southpoint might be too busy. Was leaning towards the one in Cary since it usually seems less crowded.
It was Cary. We got there about 10 minutes after opening. There were maybe 15 other people there but the store is big enough no one got close to us at all the whole time we were there. We hand sanitized in the car and washed up when we got home. Everyone was wearing masks including the one or two people sitting at the Starbucks tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary