Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will likely be moving to the Triangle area this summer from Boston area. My husband will be working in the RTP(Durham). I work from home. I am looking forward to buying a SF home, as we are currently in a condo. We have 2 children still at home, a 13 year old girl and a 9 year old boy. My youngest is high functioning autistic with an IEP. He is mainstreamed for art, p.e., music and social science. He receives speech therapy, OT and physical therapy. Naturally when choosing a home, my top priority is the best schools for my autistic son. We also have a dog that I take on walks.

With that in mind, here is my wishlist:

1. Prefer a community with lots of kids, with maybe a nice city center with restaurants, pubs and shops, good freeway access, a nice mall.
2. We like master planned communities, but are open.
3. We do not want a postage stamp sized lot or a cookie cutter home. We prefer a smaller home (less than 3000 sf) with very high end finishes, definitely not builder grade. My husband wants to build, but I would prefer to buy something done. My husband loves to golf. The back yard must be private. No fixer uppers.
4. We are a mixed family, both my husband and I have graduate degrees, so we prefer a more liberal educated community.
5. Coming from Boston I do not want to feel isolated, or have to drive forever to amenities.

Our budget is up to $600,000.

What are your recommendations for best school district for Autism special needs program?
What are your recommendations for neighborhoods?

Initially I have been leaning toward Chapel Hill Carrboro School district, but have no info on their special needs programs. I like the idea of a University town, we used to live right down the street from UC Irvine in CA.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Check out Apex

Old 03-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Cool, would love to hear some other opinions, especially Bout special needs programs. I looked at the communities referred to the lady from London and they were right on target.

Last edited by CloverHead; 03-30-2017 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Not sure if you've done any research on this area, it seems you are coming in blind....there are no "school districts" here - there is Wake County Public Schools if you live in Wake County (Wake County Public School System / Homepage). If you live in Chapel Hill, they have their own district, elsewhere in the Triangle there are Orange County schools, Durham County schools, Chatham County and Johnston County schools. You probably should familiarize yourself with them to start, since you have a child who already has an IEP. From there, you can decide where you want to live.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I would expect that your forum searches for "autism" or "IEP" would yield the best, and still accurate, answers on that facet.

Once you find the best schools, you or your Realtor can see what your expectations can be for housing in those particular school zones.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 AM

I did a search on special needs and autism in this forum and found the same kind of responses I am getting here, nothing useful. I don't much care how the schools are organized, by district, by county. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on which school system has a good reputation for special needs. But it would seem the answer to this question is elusive at best. But thanks.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:37 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloverHead View Post
I did a search on special needs and autism in this forum and found the same kind of responses I am getting here, nothing useful. I don't much care how the schools are organized, by district, by county. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on which school system has a good reputation for special needs. But it would seem the answer to this question is elusive at best. But thanks.
This thread seems to have useful information:

Look here for feedback from parents about autism/special needs services in WCPSS

Regardless, you're probably better off talking to the schools yourself to make an educated decision on what's best for your family specifically.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Or maybe contact Autism Speaks

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I wouldn't expect much honestly the trajectory in the state is ether they in the regular student track or a general special needs class with full spectrum disability. Our legislature doesn't support these programs so I would proceed highly cautiously.

My close friend was a special needs teacher in chapel hill and worked for the autism society which shoe stringed together after school programs and support

All I'm saying is if you think you receive high quality service for your son I would be super concerned about maintaining it because we are very deficient

Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I wouldn't expect much honestly the trajectory in the state is ether they in the regular student track or a general special needs class with full spectrum disability. Our legislature doesn't support these programs so I would proceed highly cautiously.
That's how it seems to me too. If you come from a small district where your child has a shadow all day, you can forget it, not happening here. Best you'll get is a lot of push in and/or pull out services while he's in a mainstream class. The self contained classes are generally profoundly autistic students and they aren't at every school. I'm speaking about Wake County, the only district where you might do better is Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary