Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times

Advertisements

Young family with 2 kids planning to settle down in a family friendly neighborhood with access to good schools. Thinking about Farragut, TN or Cary, NC or DC suburbs. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Ekove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 07:40 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,184,101 times
DC suburbs are super expensive, but the closest to a metropolitan city. I think it just depends on your budget and what you're looking for. Where are you moving from?

Old 04-01-2017, 07:44 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
where are you moving from?

I assume Farragut is a Nashville suburb?

I can say around here, 1 hour is a long time.

Otherwise, you need to look on-line for housing costs in the 3 areas.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:15 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
That is a broad question. Almost all the Triangle area is family friendly with good schools. What amenities you are looking for, where you are going to be employed, and how much you have to spend will help everyone you narrow down the choices.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:55 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,779,658 times
How can anyone possibly narrow that down for you? Do you think that there is a large number of people with experience in all three cities to compare for you - especially with NO other information???

Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,644 times
I'm also very much confused by the question... Don't know much about TN but NC and DC don't even compare. I'd suggest to do some research in the respective forums and then come back with more specific questions and more details on what your parameters and goals are exactly.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 PM

20 posts, read 17,518 times
Hi,
I grew up in Knoxville, went to college and lived in the D.C. area for over a decade, and lived one year in Raleigh. TN and NC are very similar in feel, with different flavors of sports team preferences. I would happily return to either place if there were job options available - career options are somewhat limited in my field. DC area (VA and MD suburbs) is massive and has a wide range of inner city to sprawling farmland options available. Lots of jobs, long commutes, great restaurants and a faster pace in DC; I do not want to move back there. My sister lives in Cary now and prefers it to Knoxville.
Good luck!

Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM

72 posts, read 91,006 times
I lived in Knoxville for about 10 years, and I really miss it. I like Raleigh, but the mountains were very nice. The cost of living seemed a little lower (more affordable) in the Knoxville area. We were able to buy a decent (small!) starter home on half an acre in a pretty and safe wooded area for around $60K. It's family friendly. The zoo is fun! They're doing a LOT with outdoor activities now--building parks, extended accessibility of equipment like boats and bikes, etc.--and their mayor is a strong advocate. It's not as big as Raleigh (population wise, under 200K), so its easy to live there (no long lines, overcrowded parks, less traffic, etc.).

That said, there are more job opportunities, by far, in Raleigh, and there's shopping and restaurants (which people seem to love). I like the proximity to the beach, and we're still pretty close to the mountains. The Farmer's Market is amazing, and you can hit up some kind of festival or show downtown just about every weekend. Proximity to so many awesome universities means that there's a lot to do, culture wise, and a lot of educational opportunities. Lots of concerts and free museums. My family has gotten top-notch medical care here, not so say that Knoxville's doctors were bad, but there's a marked difference here.

I've only visited DC, but a friend lives in a suburb, and his 1-bedroom apartment rent is higher than our 4-bedroom house on 2 acres outside Raleigh.

A lot depends on what you need out of a location: job, commute, housing, medical facilities.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary