Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 AM

403 posts, read 353,628 times

Advertisements

United Therapeutics is another company that sees the true value of the Triangle. They love the area so much and know what it has to offer, that they have decided to DOUBLE their investment in a new RTP location. See this article:

United Therapeutics expands Triangle plans - Triangle Business Journal:

It's just another sign of what business thinks of our talent, infrastructure and location. We as people and our local governments have done a fantastic job in creating a meca for personal & business growth. This is the reason this area consistantly ranks as one of the BEST places in the country to work & live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:31 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
In my field (more or less), I was disappointed this week to read about Motricity. That is a lot of folks and was a very hyped local company. At least the paper the same day had a story about NetApp growing locally. (Of course the Motricity cuts are "real" while the NetApp numbers are "projected"). And it appears Nortel locally will suffer more cuts soon. Glad I feel secure in my employment, because I do fear we are in for some pain.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
In my field (more or less), I was disappointed this week to read about Motricity. That is a lot of folks and was a very hyped local company. At least the paper the same day had a story about NetApp growing locally. (Of course the Motricity cuts are "real" while the NetApp numbers are "projected"). And it appears Nortel locally will suffer more cuts soon. Glad I feel secure in my employment, because I do fear we are in for some pain.
Nationally, I think the worst is still ahead ......there will be pockets of good areas, Raleigh area probably being one of them, but the people it's hitting first are foundation of "today's" economic woes and for the rest of us, (or at least **me** personally), our reaction to the news is to tighten the purse strings and reconsider those extras which will slicw a dble edged sword right across the middle of the economy in the near future

I think calling this recession we're heading into is being kind.....I feel it's going to go much deeper

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 03-08-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
I agree. Stock market is hyped up, full of Vegas type investments, and has little credibility because of accounting fraud.

I see a repeat of 1929.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,045 times
Saturnfan said: I see a repeat of 1929.

Bingo...there are so many layers of bad investments (anyone see the head of Countrywide's story? Turned in all his stock before the housing market crashed to the tune of 400 mil....he stated he had grandchildren to put through college LOL ) that haven't hit the fan yet and the energy increases have so outpaced the cost of living and incomes that it's another tsunami in the making.....

I hate to sound so Henny Penny but just reading the writing on the wall....

Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,743 times
Default Moderator Note:

Lets bring the topic back to a local discussion please. And not let it sway too much onto the national side. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Lets bring the topic back to a local discussion please. And not let it sway too much onto the national side. Thanks.
Bringing this home to the Triangle, a precipitous drop in tech employment will cause a major disruption if many of the higher paid folks leave the area.

The traditional labor base in the Raleigh area doesn't have the financial resources to take the McMansions even at fire sale prices.

An avalanche of foreclosures will get worse and worse as falling property values cause more properties to be abandoned.

Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 PM

403 posts, read 353,628 times
Sony Ericsson adding more jobs in RTP:

Sony Ericsson adding jobs in RTP: It's looking to beat iPhone in U.S (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1105218/ - broken link)

Keep 'em coming. Businesses know we are where it's at in America.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The traditional labor base in the Raleigh area doesn't have the financial resources to take the McMansions even at fire sale prices.
Exactly what do you mean by "traditional labor base"? Do you mean tobacco farmers? Times change, jobs disappear and new jobs are created. For over 50 years, tech has had an important part in the Triangle.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Exactly what do you mean by "traditional labor base"? Do you mean tobacco farmers? Times change, jobs disappear and new jobs are created. For over 50 years, tech has had an important part in the Triangle.
Well the median family income in Raleigh is 70k. That isn't exactly a lot if you are trying to buy a 500k + house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary