Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekNomad View Post
@CAKD

Shenandoah Homes bought defunct Forever Homes. I would stay away from anything DR Horton builds (Emerald Homes is part of DR Horton). As @Redzin said if you are looking at tract homes over $600, you should look into custom built homes (resale or brand new) There are plenty of custom built neighborhoods in the West Cary region.

Baker Homes is building a new community near White Oak Elementary - although they are tract builders their quality is much better than Toll/Pulte/MI. Pay special attention to the county lines as part of the subdivision is in Chatham county. There are some resale homes in the Wrenhurst community they built a few years ago.

There is another community being built (Stillwater) pretty close to where Saddlebrook is - you should look into the custom built section out there (not the Beazer homes) ; may be that will fit your budget.

Again - not all custom home builders are the same. I have got friends in Westvale who wont buy a house from the two custom builders who built there. - they had a horrible experience and the quality that you would expect wasn't there. Do your due diligence, hire a good realtor who knows the market well (there are several great realtors on this board) and who will represent you well.

Good Luck!
My budget is not in the $600 range. We are downsizing and looking for a specific lay out as well as a very specific price point. This won't be our forever home. It will be a transition home. Like your friends I'm not impressed with the custom homes in this area. I live in one now , not impressed! Stillwater wasn't appealing to us but thanks for that suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:32 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwat View Post
Yes, they do seem to include a lot of standard features above what the competition gives, we chose the Clifton because we liked it's character and open floor plan. They've recently released the Pimlico, which seems to be a great utilization of the space if you need all the bedrooms and a study.

(They have multiple series at different price points though, so I guess it depends on which series you're looking at. We didn't spend much time examining their largest most expensive series as it was out of our budget.)
Our goal is to downsize from our current home. We did look at the larger ones but we just don't need that much sq footage. We are debating between the Newport and the Clifton. Our main goal was open and single level four bedroom plus study. We can't find that so now a downstairs master with second room downstairs and the ability to change the formal Dining room into a study. They have been the only builder willing to make changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary