Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:51 AM

37 posts, read 156,145 times

Advertisements

One more thing: NO HOA. I despise them, to put it mildly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,288 times
If you're looking for school stability that probably isn't the ideal area to buy. But you already know that. Far north Raleigh has lots around that size for 400k ish, maybe less if it needs work with more stable schools. I'm talking up near Falls lake. In wake co the only way to really guarantee your school is to live next door. Even then they may reassign if they open a new one...happened to neighbors of ours when abbots creek opened. The good news is that kids are resilient and will be fine no matter what and this is happening to everyone so it's not like they would be singled out. Good luck with the move, I think you will love it here!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:38 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
Thanks M378!

I've decided on Apex, which, unfortunately, is growing like crazy, though I don't know for how much longer. I'm looking at Olive Chapel for their elementary school and there are some nice places available for rent nearby. I just hope I'm not restricting myself too much when it comes to buying, which would be less than a year from now. Ultimately, I want them in Apex or Apex Friendship high school, but that's awhile off.
First off, my condolences on your wife. You've picked a good area to live in though. Basically, there would be one of 4 elementary schools you children would go to in this area:
  1. Olive Chapel Elem.
  2. Scott's Ridge Elem.
  3. Apex Elem.
  4. Baucom Elem.

Olive Chapel is the year-round option, while the other 3 run on a traditional school calendar. All are good schools. Personally, Olive Chapel and Scott's Ridge would be my first tow choices in this area, since they are closer to where you're potentially looking to live. It's not set in stone yet, but in 2020, another elementary school will be opening on the Apex Friendship High/Middle campus.

My thoughts are, even if you had to pull your kids out of one and put in another, as long if it were only once, I think they'd be just fine. You also have to consider if you want year-round school or traditional calendar school. Year round means they essentially go to school for 9 weeks straight and then get a 3-week break (4x's a year). There are great options in the area for child care and camps for kids that go year round, so you don't have to worry about that.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,579,051 times
A budget of $350k, at least a half-acre, no HOA, relatively new construction and school stability in Apex (or Cary or Holly Springs)? You might want to also consider that it should be zoned for unicorns.

Anything is possible, it's just not probable.

I live in North Raleigh where most of that is entirely possible, though finding a no-HOA property will make it a little trickier. But I would also advise you to consider which of your criteria matters most to you. School stability likely isn't as big a deal as you're thinking and most times, in exchange for the HOA fees you get access to a pool, tennis courts and a social center which would serve your young family quite well. Not all HOA's fine you for not cutting your grass often enough.

What you really need is a Realtor to work with, even early one while looking to rent.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:00 PM

My problem with HOA fees is that they are not under my control. My 30 year fixed mortgage will always be the same amount, so it's a known. Taxes increase, I know that, but nothing can help that and it typically isn't a big difference. What's to stop my HOA fees from increasing $50 a month every few years?

I also don't believe anyone has the right to tell me what I can or cannot do on my own property. I hear nothing but nightmare stories about HOAs and how petty they can be. Maybe I'm wrong. I am a reasonable person that doesn't do anything unusual. I maintain my property.

It doesn't have to be relatively new. My current house was built in 1955 and has been great. Probably better constructed than anything new today.

I am working with a realtor. I just don't want to do anything before I close because everything can fall apart at the last minute during a sale.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
My problem with HOA fees is that they are not under my control. My 30 year fixed mortgage will always be the same amount, so it's a known. Taxes increase, I know that, but nothing can help that and it typically isn't a big difference. What's to stop my HOA fees from increasing $50 a month every few years?

I also don't believe anyone has the right to tell me what I can or cannot do on my own property. I hear nothing but nightmare stories about HOAs and how petty they can be. Maybe I'm wrong. I am a reasonable person that doesn't do anything unusual. I maintain my property.

It doesn't have to be relatively new. My current house was built in 1955 and has been great. Probably better constructed than anything new today.

I am working with a realtor. I just don't want to do anything before I close because everything can fall apart at the last minute during a sale.
Then, being part of an HOA will never be a real problem for you.

What you might ask yourself is: do I mind if my next-door neighbors do NOT maintain their property?

You can do great and have lovely neighbors in a non-HOA neighborhood. Or, you can have terrible neighbors whose habits lower everyone else's property values.

Unless you want to live pretty far out in the country, for the lot size you want and the price, most of your best choices that are not fixer-uppers will be in HOA neighborhoods. I would encourage you not to rule them out entirely. See some. Get a feel for the neighborhood. Talk to some of the neighbors.

It's pretty easy to sort out a good neighborhood with an HOA from a bad one.

If you buy in an HOA neighborhood, get yourself on the board. Make sure nothing takes place that you don't like re: fee increases.

I think HOA horror stories are overblown.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Default A different shade of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Then, being part of an HOA will never be a real problem for you.

What you might ask yourself is: do I mind if my next-door neighbors do NOT maintain their property?
You miss the point, for some people. It isn't that they want the freedom to paint their house purple, if they so desire.

It's that they absolutely bristle and seethe at the thought of being forced to get their chosen shade of Gray approved.

Most people that don't want to live in HOA's don't have an '86 El Camino on blocks in the front yard.

I'm now going off topic, but a neighborhood with $150K houses and an HOA doesn't look substantially nicer than one with $150K houses and no HOA. And, a neighborhood of $600K houses doesn't look substantially nicer if there is an HOA or not. More uniform? Sometimes. But that's about it.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You miss the point, for some people. It isn't that they want the freedom to paint their house purple, if they so desire.

It's that they absolutely bristle and seethe at the thought of being forced to get their chosen shade of Gray approved.

Most people that don't want to live in HOA's don't have an '86 El Camino on blocks in the front yard.

I'm now going off topic, but a neighborhood with $150K houses and an HOA doesn't look substantially nicer than one with $150K houses and no HOA. And, a neighborhood of $600K houses doesn't look substantially nicer if there is an HOA or not. More uniform? Sometimes. But that's about it.
I disagree with that last paragraph, but I do agree that not all people who don't want an HOA want to trash their property.

Point is, in a neighborhood minus HOA, you really never know who'll move in next door and do crazy stuff you do not want next door to you, nor would a potential buyer.

I might buy a house for 150k in a neighborhood w/o an HOA, but around here? I would NEVER buy a 600k house in a planned neighborhood without one.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Issues with non-HOA neighborhoods don't usually show up until houses start aging, and people start deferring maintenance. Housing stock around here is relatively new, even in a lot of non-HOA neigbhorhoods.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 AM

I have no problem maintaining my home. I enjoy cutting the grass and keeping things clean. I don't want to pay for someone to cut my lawn when I want to do it. Snow isn't as big a problem down there as it is here, but I have a beast of a snow thrower and enjoy using it. Again, I don't want to pay for someone to clean my driveway. Pride of ownership and a sense of responsibility, I suppose.

I'd rather join a community pool, that I can cancel when I want if it gets too expensive. Same goes for playgrounds and parks. I don't want to have to constantly think about old man rivers not liking the color of my curtains that face the street, or the fact that I was 10 minutes late moving my garbage, or that I parked on the street overnight.

The whole thing smacks of a totalitarian regime. Yes, I'm exaggerating; however, I don't want or need an HOA. I grew up in houses and never had an issue with bad neighbors or neighborhoods. I've lived here in Westchester since 2009 and have traveled extensively throughout the area and have never seen anything unusual at the homes here. No weird colors, no stacks or piles of garbage.

I appreciate all the advice here guys. I'm just venting a bit. I wasn't expecting this to be a big issue for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary