Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times

Advertisements

My husband (chiropractor), 2 kids and I are thinking of moving out of Florida. I have been in Florida since October 2010, originally from Montreal, Canada and I could never get use to Florida. I thought I would love it, the weather and all but turns out that from May to December its so hot & humid that you don't want to be outside at all. I miss having nature, I know that sounds strange but here its all roads, highways, shopping malls, condos and chain restaurants. There's no sense of community, everyone is on top of each other, public schools are ok at best. So, we are focusing on NC because it has seasons but nothing like Montreal winters, but enough to make you anticipate the new coming season. Job prospects and advancement opportunities looks much more promising than here. Schools also seem to be better. There's the option of mountains or beach, also of driving to different states.

My question is, and we haven't visited yet but we plan on going shortly, to raise a family, to have a sense of community and security, to enjoy outdoor activities, to have good restaurants and shopping, where should we focus our searches? Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham area.

I am hoping to get a better job too. I have a Bachelor's Degree, 1 year of MS complete I'm trilingual have lots of work experience but could never find anything decent here in Florida.

Thank you all for your inputs, thoughts or ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,395,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebita11 View Post
My husband (chiropractor), 2 kids and I are thinking of moving out of Florida. I have been in Florida since October 2010, originally from Montreal, Canada and I could never get use to Florida. I thought I would love it, the weather and all but turns out that from May to December its so hot & humid that you don't want to be outside at all. I miss having nature, I know that sounds strange but here its all roads, highways, shopping malls, condos and chain restaurants. There's no sense of community, everyone is on top of each other, public schools are ok at best. So, we are focusing on NC because it has seasons but nothing like Montreal winters, but enough to make you anticipate the new coming season. Job prospects and advancement opportunities looks much more promising than here. Schools also seem to be better. There's the option of mountains or beach, also of driving to different states.

My question is, and we haven't visited yet but we plan on going shortly, to raise a family, to have a sense of community and security, to enjoy outdoor activities, to have good restaurants and shopping, where should we focus our searches? Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham area.

I am hoping to get a better job too. I have a Bachelor's Degree, 1 year of MS complete I'm trilingual have lots of work experience but could never find anything decent here in Florida.

Thank you all for your inputs, thoughts or ideas.
Either, or more accurately, both. Both have good schools, nice neighborhoods, outdoor activities, good restaurants and shopping. Raleigh?Durham is closer to the beach; Charlotte is closer to the mountains. You could enjoy a high quality of life in either.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 AM

610 posts, read 747,167 times
You'll love it here - wherever you end up. (I prefer Raleigh to Charlotte).

I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 31 years. In the end, I was so sick of the unrelenting heat/humidity. Here, summer goes from June through about mid-September and not every single day is unbearable.

Love N.C.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:05 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
Either city would work for you....take some visits and see which you like better! Good luck.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,066 times
Hel

I live in South Florida and can not take it anymore moved here 2 years ago from PA. My husband, 11-year-old daughter and I ARE! moving to some area of the NC Triangle. I'm following your post want to know how things worked our for you and what area you eventually settled in. Everything you said sounds just like me had to make sure it wasn't my post.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:22 PM

4,242 posts, read 949,434 times
You'll love North Carolina, from what you've said you're looking for. I am partial to the Triangle area but I was born and raised here - Charlotte is really nice too. One of the advantages of the Triangle is the proliferation of great universities, excellent medical resources, and the Research Triangle Park. You're within a day's drive (easy) of both mountains and coast in either location, and the Blue Ridge mountains and Outer Banks are national treasures. I think that NC is a great place for families, and for kids to grow up.

You might also want to check out Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point (The Triad) - another really nice place to live, lots of resources and yet lots of beautiful farmland and smaller towns very close - cost of living a bit lower than Triangle/Charlotte (though somebody might correct me on that).

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:07 AM

69 posts, read 62,818 times
Wow, this place will soon compete with hotlanta with all these people coming from all over the place. sure come one come all. we get coming from north and south. not trying to be a J*&$ but quality of life in the triangle as we know is sure going downhill fast with congestion, traffic and all. too many people here already, just saying

Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,483,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyp555 View Post
Wow, this place will soon compete with hotlanta with all these people coming from all over the place. sure come one come all. we get coming from north and south. not trying to be a J*&$ but quality of life in the triangle as we know is sure going downhill fast with congestion, traffic and all. too many people here already, just saying
You are so right.

After 28 years, Raleigh is sinking into a nasty, crime ridden town. Just yesterday, taggers got our apartment community and maintenance needs to get it off.

Courtesy on the roads is no more.

The developers will leave laughing on the way to the bank while many of the transplants start looking for another nice place to spoil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary