Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,488,861 times

Advertisements

I go to the barber college on Capital near Spring Forest for excellent $5 haircuts.

Next to their strip are 2 closed furniture stores that probably took a lot of money for furniture they never supplied.

One got in the news for ripping a single mother of 6 of over $1K.

Another just closed after blanketing the area with illegal signs trying to stimulate sales. Perhaps my report to the city hit he owner with a massive fine.

Be careful. Never use any payment other than a CREDIT (not debit) card and be sure you will receive your purchases before the dispute period expires.

Several biggies have dropped off such as Heilig-Meyers and Home Quarters.

In bankruptcy, customer deposits are at the bottom of the distribution order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 AM

6,834 posts, read 9,112,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I go to the barber college on Capital near Spring Forest for excellent $5 haircuts.

Next to their strip are 2 closed furniture stores that probably took a lot of money for furniture they never supplied.

One got in the news for ripping a single mother of 6 of over $1K.

Another just closed after blanketing the area with illegal signs trying to stimulate sales. Perhaps my report to the city hit he owner with a massive fine.

Be careful. Never use any payment other than a CREDIT (not debit) card and be sure you will receive your purchases before the dispute period expires.

Several biggies have dropped off such as Heilig-Meyers and Home Quarters.

In bankruptcy, customer deposits are at the bottom of the distribution order.
I get your point, but how can you be so sure the latest store ripped people off? Article in the paper? Just a feeling? What was it called, anyway? I do know about the first one. Wasn't it Furniture Spot?

Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM

678 posts, read 743,633 times
I hope all these raggedy, crappy, discount furniture/credit stores go out of business, they're a plague in Fayetteville

Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,853,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
... Be careful. Never use any payment other than a CREDIT (not debit) card and be sure you will receive your purchases before the dispute period expires. ... In bankruptcy, customer deposits are at the bottom of the distribution order.
+1

If you are paying for ANYTHING high-ticket, use a credit card.
Make sure you get what you ordered within the time period promised.
If they don't, then file a Back-Charge claim with your CC bank.

You are their customer, not the store.
Unless bankrupts process has already started, you'll get your money back very quickly.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I get your point, but how can you be so sure the latest store ripped people off? Article in the paper? Just a feeling? What was it called, anyway? I do know about the first one. Wasn't it Furniture Spot?
Yes.

The store just filing Chapter 7 had lots of specially made and special ordered items for sale. I went in there once to look but walked out when the owner told how long before delivery. Way more than dispute period.

Based on the owner's abuse of city sign laws, I'd bet there will be a large loss to creditors in the Chapter 7 case.

The trustee's name is on the door for anyone wanting info, which is a public record.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM

216 posts, read 540,995 times
Using a credit card branded debit card will provide the same protection as a credit card - if you select the credit option instead of debit card. What's why your debit card has visa or master card emblem on it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 12,574,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Whether or not they "ripped people off" is immaterial to the argument. They took payment for delivery, and went bankrupt. Customers are left having paid and not getting their goods.

CapitalBLVD provided good advice to consumers.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Whether or not they "ripped people off" is immaterial to the argument. They took payment for delivery, and went bankrupt. Customers are left having paid and not getting their goods.

CapitalBLVD provided good advice to consumers.
Thanks

Years ago, i worked in credit card security for Mobil Oil.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,853,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc130radio View Post
Using a credit card branded debit card will provide the same protection as a credit card - if you select the credit option instead of debit card. What's why your debit card has visa or master card emblem on it.
This is not strictly true. There are laws that govern credit card losses.
Not so for debit cards. Most (I assume ALL of the ones from big-name banks), have policies that are similar to the laws, but one big difference is that a CC loss is limited to $50, ever.
If you're DC is misused, the average time to get all your money back is 2-3 months.

Also, see:
Dangers of debit: 10 places to never use a debit card! | Clark Howard

Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM

332 posts, read 399,927 times
We just bought some very nice furniture at a great price from Furnitureland South. I highly recommend the drive out there and I don't think you have to worry about them going under just yet. The delivery of the furniture was also flawless, they wrapped all the pieces really well so nothing was damaged or scratched in any way. I also received 20k rewards points on my Amex card as one of their latest bonus offers. Total win win all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary