Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Look at this map from 1947. I-40 ended in Durham.
Indeed, the original maps don't even show Raleigh, which appears to be the only state capital east of the Mississippi to suffer that indignity. (Jefferson City and Pierre were also left off.)

The pre-Interstate highway network (see this 1926 map) influenced the Interstate system. I-95 follows US 1 except between Petersburg VA and Jacksonville, where it follows variants of US 17. Two ideas why: (1) as mentioned above, access to Fayetteville, Charleston and Savannah may have been deemed important by DOD; and (2) of the three routes headed south from Petersburg [15, 1, and 17-1], maybe 1 didn't have as much traffic as the others.

Last edited by paytonc; 06-18-2017 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
I bet if you overlaid railroads of that time over the old road maps, you would see the railroads and highways parallel one another. Fayetteville at that time was just Camp Bragg (doesn't get big until WWII), but it was still used as an inland port (Cape Fear River). Same thing goes for the ports of Charleston and Savannah.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:23 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Spotted a 1950 NCDOT highway map, which made me think of this thread.

I-95 ultimately followed US-301, rather than US-1. Why? At the time, these were the cities deemed by the state to be "major cities", west to east: Asheville, Shelby, Hickory, Gastonia, Statesville, Charlotte, Concord, Salisbury, Winston-Salem, Lexington, Albemarle, Thomasville, High Point, Greensboro, Reidsville, Burlington, Durham, Fayetteville, Raleigh, Goldsboro, Wilmington, Wilson, Rocky Mount, Kinston, Greenville, New Bern, Elizabeth City.

Early highway planners would have looked at this map and seen that US-1 went through Raleigh, whereas US-301 touched Fayetteville, Wilson, and Rocky Mount. The US-301 route also split the difference between Goldsboro and Raleigh, which seemed equally important.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:49 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I-95 ultimately followed US-301, rather than US-1. Why?
Read the thread. Proximity to Ft Bragg, Seymour Johnson, Cherry Point, and Camp Lejeune was one reason. Politics was another. The fact that 301 always carried more people between the northeast and Florida was a third.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Read the thread. Proximity to Ft Bragg, Seymour Johnson, Cherry Point, and Camp Lejeune was one reason. Politics was another. The fact that 301 always carried more people between the northeast and Florida was a third.
The Interstate highway system was partly built to facilitate the movement of military vehicles - makes sense that the bases in NC would get some sort of priority (Eisenhower recognized that the Autobahn in Germany played a major role in being able to move troops around)

Old 09-17-2017, 05:26 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I don't think Raleigh is isolated, especially not these days. Raleigh will eventually have another interstate, I-87, connecting it to I-95 North in Rocky Mount and the Northeast, as well as the Hampton Roads metro in Virginia. Raleigh already has access to I-95 South via I-40 to Benson. It would've been out of the way if I-95 itself went through Raleigh. Raleigh will also have the added bonus of having I-42 nearby, linking it to the Crystal Coast. If anything, Raleigh is practically a hub.

Another possibility, and I hope it happens, is that NCDOT could upgrade US-1 to interstate standards between I-540 and I-85 in Henderson and designate that as a spur of I-85, such as I-685. I-87 connects east Raleigh to I-95, but does nothing for north Raleigh.

I'm surprised Raleigh hasn't been pushing for US-1 to become an interstate. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
People have interests in trains, planes and more... you are the first person i met who lives and breathes highways ( nothing wrong with that, just peculiar).NC has the most highways i bet... more than any state i bet... or will soon have more. Without looking it up im betting this, lets see what folks will find. Im interested to know.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
People have interests in trains, planes and more... you are the first person i met who lives and breathes highways ( nothing wrong with that, just peculiar).NC has the most highways i bet... more than any state i bet... or will soon have more. Without looking it up im betting this, lets see what folks will find. Im interested to know.
Umm.......Texas? California? Any state bigger than us?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:14 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Umm.......Texas? California? Any state bigger than us?
In terms of mileage for sure but what about actual roadways designated interstates.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Total road mileage by state? NC is 16th, according to
Road Miles by State--A chart of states and number of road miles | Cubit's Blog.

Interstate mileage by state? NC isn't in the top 5, according to https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/highwayhistory/data/page07.cfm.

But in terms of state-maintained roads, NC is 2nd because there are no "county roads" in NC. Unless a municipality is responsible for maintenance of a road or street in this state, NCDOT is.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
In terms of mileage for sure but what about actual roadways designated interstates.
why does that matter for your hypothesis? You claim that NC is paving over the state with roads. That would mean that North Carolina would have significantly more mileage (total and/or interstate) than other states similar in size. That isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary