Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Is this an HOA neighborhood? Was it approved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
The previous owners of my home did this with arborvitae, right up to the end of the driveway. The first thing we did was cut the last one down, because it completely obstructed our view.

Lines of arborvitae and leyland cypress are really common where I'm currently living (Long Island NY) as a privacy screen and to somewhat block headlights from shining into their windows at night.

They do grow wide if they get the conditions they want. If it will be a danger for you to leave your driveway when they're filled out, I'd talk to them now before they root and it becomes harder to move them. But I'd be prepared for a compromise or talking to a brick wall, they don't sound like they care about your opinion much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I used bamboo at my house with proper containment and it's amazing how much privacy I have in a year.
Oh boy. You planted running bamboo? What's proper containment?

Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
The previous owners of my home did this with arborvitae, right up to the end of the driveway. The first thing we did was cut the last one down, because it completely obstructed our view.

Lines of arborvitae and leyland cypress are really common where I'm currently living (Long Island NY) as a privacy screen and to somewhat block headlights from shining into their windows at night.

They do grow wide if they get the conditions they want. If it will be a danger for you to leave your driveway when they're filled out, I'd talk to them now before they root and it becomes harder to move them. But I'd be prepared for a compromise or talking to a brick wall, they don't sound like they care about your opinion much.

Oh boy. You planted running bamboo? What's proper containment?
Yes running bamboo. Rhizome barrier and a sand trap in the front. They cant get past the rhizome barrier so they go to the sand and I chop the runners twice a year. I spent the time and money to do it right and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I was only asking because in a close driveway situation, Leylands seem an odd choice. You could go with other types of Arborvitae that are thinner and make a better border in that situation.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Leylands are also notoriously drainage sensitive. Take a look at any mature row of leylands and there are always a couple that are browning out if not dead. I realize this does not help you, but if you are trying to make any sort of case for having these removed it might be something to put in a complaint letter.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
First of all, are you sure they are Leyland Cypress? Visit your neighbor, tell him how attractive his plants are, then say, "but they look like Leyland Cypress". If he says yes they are, then tell him that they are planted way too close to the property line unless he wants you to agree to their being there. They will reach out 3-4 ft from the trunk in all directions. If you have a wide enough zone for them, great, they will be lovely.

You have to hope that he is not trying to hide some unattractive feature in your yard, but if he is, this might be a good solution.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 9,065 times
Another neighbor told me they were leyland cypress. From what I've read they grow fast and can get out of hand. I will most likely just trim them as soon as they come over the property line. I read to trim them sooner rather than later. They have them planted all the way to the street in a line by their driveway. The issue with backing out is that there is a sharp turn on the other side of there driveway. Its so bad that one neighbor who lived there called it a death trap and moved over it. It's not an issue for me now, but not sure when the cypress get bigger. Hey I'm glad I won't have to see them, but they didn't plant any along the fence in the backyard, so no privacy back there. I've planted a bunch of bushes for privacy in the back, but it will take a few years for privacy. I normally wouldn't care, but this neighbor has ripped out and cut in half any bush or flower over the property line. When she said my fence was on her property and I showed her it wasn't she said I trespassed on her property and she would call the police. Not a pleasant person to say the least.

Last edited by carylover17; 06-19-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Is there an HOA?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Planting Leylands too close together often results in disease. They need air flow. One will die, then the next, and the next! I've seen this happen many, many times. A wind break should never consist of a single species.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
Leyland Cypress' time has come and gone. Not only are they susceptible to breakage in ice storms, as someone else pointed out, there's a long list of other problems they tend to suffer from. Maybe you should put some Green Giant arborvitae next to them on your property and let them fight it out. I know which ones would win.

Problems With Growing Leyland Cypress | Home Guides | SF Gate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary