Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Yes running bamboo. Rhizome barrier and a sand trap in the front. They cant get past the rhizome barrier so they go to the sand and I chop the runners twice a year. I spent the time and money to do it right and would do it again in a heartbeat.
What is the rhizome barrier made out of and how far down does it go? How thick is it? I know people who did concrete and it eventually broke through and damaged their pool.

I somehow became the "plant lady" that people ask these questions of so I'm really interested. My advice is just don't do it because, lets face it, most people are lazy and the bamboo will be there forever, current homeowners and the next ones too. But if it's already there, people are desperate to control it effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carylover17 View Post
When she said my fence was on her property and I showed her it wasn't she said I trespassed on her property and she would call the police. Not a pleasant person to say the least.
Is she from NY?

I say this because this is such a huge problem for people around my area. When you're packed into your tiny lots, people will defend their territory pretty aggressively. Do a search on the CD Long Island forum, I'm sure there's tons of topics about encroaching plants and trees, people parking on front of their houses, etc.

I'd just trim what's on my side if necessary, and get more involved with the town/HOA rules if the blind spot becomes a safety hazard. She doesn't sound very open to compromise.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I guess some people apparently have no boundaries or consideration for others.

I had a neighbor behind me at the beach plant a row Leyland's on my next door neighbor's property while she was away. When she returned a few weeks later she thanked the woman behind me for trees and dug them up and moved them to her farm.
LOL!
"One step over the line, sweet Jesus, one step over the line!"

Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
LOL!
"One step over the line, sweet Jesus, one step over the line!"
"Sittin' downtown in a railway station"

Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
What is the rhizome barrier made out of and how far down does it go? How thick is it? I know people who did concrete and it eventually broke through and damaged their pool.

I somehow became the "plant lady" that people ask these questions of so I'm really interested. My advice is just don't do it because, lets face it, most people are lazy and the bamboo will be there forever, current homeowners and the next ones too. But if it's already there, people are desperate to control it effectively.
Rhizome Barrier - Brightside Bamboo - Bamboo nursery, landscaping, farming, and poles

60-80 mil, 30" deep in the ground. Bamboo will not go through it. Concrete is porous and will eventually crack so it's a very poor choice.

I've done more research on bamboo than I care to admit. It will not spread from the area I planted guaranteed. I'm not a lazy homeowner and it's really not hard to spend 5 minutes twice a year putting a shovel in a sand trap. Bamboo is an excellent privacy screen and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I might add another grove to my yard next year with timber bamboo.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Oh, I love timber bamboo in other people's yards. I have some spindly small diameter cane (as in canebrake rattlesnake) that I think is native in my side yard. Not really a big fan, but it does screen us from the neighbors. It also spreads pretty bad, too, but is held in check pretty well by the driveway.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:47 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
30" deep in the ground.
30 inches is quite deep, if you are digging in clay. I can see doing that if you have the sandy soil like in Fuquay, but the clay in other parts of the area is like digging in concrete.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carylover17 View Post
Another neighbor told me they were leyland cypress. From what I've read they grow fast and can get out of hand. I will most likely just trim them as soon as they come over the property line. I read to trim them sooner rather than later. They have them planted all the way to the street in a line by their driveway. The issue with backing out is that there is a sharp turn on the other side of there driveway. Its so bad that one neighbor who lived there called it a death trap and moved over it. It's not an issue for me now, but not sure when the cypress get bigger. Hey I'm glad I won't have to see them, but they didn't plant any along the fence in the backyard, so no privacy back there. I've planted a bunch of bushes for privacy in the back, but it will take a few years for privacy. I normally wouldn't care, but this neighbor has ripped out and cut in half any bush or flower over the property line. When she said my fence was on her property and I showed her it wasn't she said I trespassed on her property and she would call the police. Not a pleasant person to say the least.

I cannot believe this is how a mature adult would handle this issue. You must know that trimming back a cypress will essentially destroy it. First you will destroy its beauty and symmetry. Second, when you trim conifers they do not fill in with new leaves and stems behind the cut. There will only be the dead leaves and shoots that show (dead because of lack of light when the tree was intact).

If you dislike your neighbor so much that you cannot have a simple discussion, and if you cannot trust yourself to remain calm and friendly during that discussion, you do not need to be living in Cary. Of course, if your neighbor won't listen to you at all when you are calm and friendly, then it is on her. Tell her you are recording the conversation.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Rhizome Barrier - Brightside Bamboo - Bamboo nursery, landscaping, farming, and poles

60-80 mil, 30" deep in the ground. Bamboo will not go through it. Concrete is porous and will eventually crack so it's a very poor choice.

I've done more research on bamboo than I care to admit. It will not spread from the area I planted guaranteed. I'm not a lazy homeowner and it's really not hard to spend 5 minutes twice a year putting a shovel in a sand trap. Bamboo is an excellent privacy screen and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I might add another grove to my yard next year with timber bamboo.
Let us just hope that you live forever and the bamboo will never spend one season untended. And if the house ever changes hands you will completely (good luck with that) remove the bamboo first. At best, your containment is temporary.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
30 inches is quite deep, if you are digging in clay. I can see doing that if you have the sandy soil like in Fuquay, but the clay in other parts of the area is like digging in concrete.
I paid a guy $200 to dig 30" deep with a trencher. It took him 30 minutes to dig 100' in a circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Let us just hope that you live forever and the bamboo will never spend one season untended. And if the house ever changes hands you will completely (good luck with that) remove the bamboo first. At best, your containment is temporary.
Glad you are so negative about something you probably have zero experience with. I'm guessing you saw some wild bamboo or heard some horror stories?

Bamboo if left unattended will spread like crazy, that is a fact.

Properly contained bamboo makes an excellent privacy screen and will not spread. That is a fact.

My bamboo is properly contained, therefor it will not spread. If I don't want to maintain a sand trap, I can remove the sand and put the rhizome barrier in it's place and then there will be ZERO maintenance to the bamboo grove. I chose to have the sand trap for good drainage.

The company I linked above can plant or remove bamboo. If the next owner doesn't want it they can pay to have it removed. The cost would be about $1,000. Or they can do it themselves over a weekend. Take a deep breath and relax, my bamboo is perfectly fine. I'm glad you're so concerned over it though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary