Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 5,163 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is an overly asked question (I did search first ) , but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on the "best" DMV to go to for getting a "new" license. I say "new" because I have been without a license for 3 years and so have to do the whole shebang...at 41 years old. Seeing that I am having to rely on someone else at the moment to use their car for the driving portion, and haven't done this around here, I thought I would ask the audience...

I live in Apex, but we can travel...and I also heard I could make an appointment, but then was told that was only certain DMVs. The information I have gotten has not been very consistent depending on who I ask (as far as DMVs).

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
the one on Avent Ferry is my favorite one in Raleigh.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
the one on Avent Ferry is my favorite one in Raleigh.
I'll second that. They are all terrible, but I've found that one is the least terrible.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I'll second that. They are all terrible, but I've found that one is the least terrible.
oh yeah don't go expecting a spa-like experience. It's the same ole DMV, just more tolerable.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
oh yeah don't go expecting a spa-like experience. It's the same ole DMV, just more tolerable.
Haha, oh no...no diva here The whole "more tolerable" thing is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I don't whip this out often, but this is the right time for just such a perspective.

Go to a DMV in NY before you call what we have here terrible; you don't know what a terrible DMV even looks like otherwise.

I've been to a few in my decade living here and some are better than others, but all are tolerable if you time it right. I've had good experiences at the NC DOT office in Cary (on Maynard Road, I believe).

Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I don't whip this out often, but this is the right time for just such a perspective.

Go to a DMV in NY before you call what we have here terrible; you don't know what a terrible DMV even looks like otherwise.

I've been to a few in my decade living here and some are better than others, but all are tolerable if you time it right. I've had good experiences at the NC DOT office in Cary (on Maynard Road, I believe).
Yes, I have heard...you are not even the first person to say that to me in the last 24 hours The neighbor taking me to get it is from NY, and she has shared stories..

Old 08-01-2017, 04:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
We have used the DMV in Durham at MLK and Roxboro several times with little wait time. I suggest going early or a little later. Always has been fairly painless.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:12 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
After dealing with Northern Virginia DMV in the 90's, I haven't come across ANY DMV office in NC that I consider to be bad. I hear/read people complain, and wonder if I'm missing something, or if they just expect that they should be able to walk in and be served immediately? I don't think I've ever had a wait longer than 10 minutes at either the license or the registration offices, and that's over 25-ish years living in both western and central NC. My only complaint is that there are different offices for licenses and registration, but that's not a huge inconvenience.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM

703 posts, read 780,538 times
Maynard in Cary is ok. The staff there are A LOT better than most. The lines can get pretty long though.

Although it's not convenient to Apex anyway, I need to say that Spring Forest Rd. is absolutely the worst, both in terms of the lines and staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary