Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:40 AM

644 posts, read 842,610 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I live in the area and whilst we love our home it is to a point where it feels a little small for our needs as both work from home and it is a 3 bedroom. We don't have kids but plan on having them in the near future. Currently, we are in North West Raleigh and would love to find something 3000 sqft and in fairly new condition (2007 and after) that is 400k. Since we work from home, commuting distance is not a problem. However, we would like to stay fairly close (if possible) to DT Raleigh or DT Durham and have access to good schools. Is this doable? We don't know much about WF and it seems that since we have moved to the area, the interest is more in Holly Springs and Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
Look at Heritage in Wake Forest. We have at least 200 kids come to the door at Halloween, we can ride our bikes from our home on the new greenway to Publix, WF high school, chronic taco, Rudinos, coldstone, dairy depot all a 10 minute bike ride. They are extending the greenway to downtown WF, so we can bike to downtown WF soon. It's the place to be with kids. Most of the homes were built 2006/2007 but custom builders so much better quality. Extremely safe. Tons and tons of festivals and events in downtown WF all the time. Great restaurants and great schools.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I think for a house that age with your other criteria you're looking at Holly Springs....I found four in Apex on a VERY quick search. If you can go older (like up to 25 years old) you'll have a lot more options including Cary. Is the lot size important to you? Another consideration is layout....we have 3000 sq feet and 3 kids each with their own rooms but the layout is not ENTIRELY conducive to DH and I both working from home, although we can manage it with the kids gone most of the time and he's not really tied to a desk like I am.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think for a house that age with your other criteria you're looking at Holly Springs....I found four in Apex on a VERY quick search. If you can go older (like up to 25 years old) you'll have a lot more options including Cary. Is the lot size important to you? Another consideration is layout....we have 3000 sq feet and 3 kids each with their own rooms but the layout is not ENTIRELY conducive to DH and I both working from home, although we can manage it with the kids gone most of the time and he's not really tied to a desk like I am.
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I don't think we want to do older as we don't want to deal with commitments to update things in the next 5 or so years. Also, lot size isn't as important.
We haven't spent much time in HS but it may be something we have to look into

Old 08-20-2017, 02:01 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
I know it's none of my business, but why do you feel you HAVE to update a 20-25 year old house within 5 years? A 20-25 year old house likely has a new roof, newer HVAC, and possibly has kitchen and bathroom updates.

Even if the kitchen and bathrooms aren't updated, they're still perfectly usable. It's not like houses just fall apart and disintegrate after 10 years.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:09 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I know it's none of my business, but why do you feel you HAVE to update a 20-25 year old house within 5 years? A 20-25 year old house likely has a new roof, newer HVAC, and possibly has kitchen and bathroom updates.

Even if the kitchen and bathrooms aren't updated, they're still perfectly usable. It's not like houses just fall apart and disintegrate after 10 years.
Yeah, i agree. I'd rather have a 20-25 year old house that's been updated, than a 10 year old house that hasn't - because everything in that 10 year old house is probably about to "go".

Old 08-20-2017, 03:20 PM

342 posts, read 388,229 times
I agree with the suggestion for Heritage in Wake Forest. The new sidewalks and greenway extensions have turned in into a very walkable neighborhood now. Fantastic place for kids and families. You can get exactly what you want size and price and age wise in Heritage.

Take a visit and see what you think. I think that if commute is isn't an issue then the decision between WF and HS/Apex is just a personal preferance. I personally much prefer the feel and spirit of Wake Forest to Western Wake (we also have less school crowding and capping issues while also having excellent schools).

Old 08-20-2017, 03:28 PM

138 posts, read 119,548 times
Quote:
A 20-25 year old house likely has a new roof, newer HVAC, and possibly has kitchen and bathroom updates.
Likely ? Yes but many choose to not do the updates and sell as is in this sellers market. So you need to be careful when buying older houses . When running comps against well maintained/updated houses, adjust for maintenance required in the near term.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTISD View Post
Likely ? Yes but many choose to not do the updates and sell as is in this sellers market. So you need to be careful when buying older houses . When running comps against well maintained/updated houses, adjust for maintenance required in the near term.
Around here there are more updated houses from the 90's than not. It's pretty crazy actually.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Around here there are more updated houses from the 90's than not. It's pretty crazy actually.
My preliminary research has shown me otherwise and for a price difference of 5-10% for a similar size home that is 15 years newer, I don't see my ROI for an older home. Now, if the price difference were greater, I'd be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary