Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM

37 posts, read 27,769 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking to un-finish all or most of our finished basement, as a) water intrusion has damaged some of the drywall in the front, b) the carpet (carpet? in a basement??) smells terrible from mildew, c) I need access to the slab for termite treatment and d) it's finished to a poor standard and I want to start again.

I don't have a plan in mind at present for re-finishing, but in any case the walls and carpet need to come out for waterproofing and termite treatment.

Is there a way to hire just a demo-and-carting subcontractor? I can't seem to find anyone to do it, and I suppose usually a GC would just line up some grunt labor, but I want all the HVAC and electrical left in place and not damaged.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 12:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to un-finish all or most of our finished basement, as a) water intrusion has damaged some of the drywall in the front, b) the carpet (carpet? in a basement??) smells terrible from mildew, c) I need access to the slab for termite treatment and d) it's finished to a poor standard and I want to start again.

I don't have a plan in mind at present for re-finishing, but in any case the walls and carpet need to come out for waterproofing and termite treatment.

Is there a way to hire just a demo-and-carting subcontractor? I can't seem to find anyone to do it, and I suppose usually a GC would just line up some grunt labor, but I want all the HVAC and electrical left in place and not damaged.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
A GC can hire a crew who will rip out carpets and drywall without ripping out your HVAC and electrical.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:33 PM

37 posts, read 27,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
A GC can hire a crew who will rip out carpets and drywall without ripping out your HVAC and electrical.
Yeah, but they'll also charge a premium on top for what is essentially unskilled labor.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Yeah, but they'll also charge a premium on top for what is essentially unskilled labor.
Well, your other option is to do it yourself, or head down to Home Depot in the morning and find yourself cheap labor.

You're paying a premium for someone who's insured, and peace of mind.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
If you think making sure the electrical and HVAC along with whatever is behind the sheetrock don't get destroyed by a bunch of guys with sledgehammers then do it yourself. And handle hiring the container, dealing with closing off the rest of the house from the dust, etc etc.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
you might be able to contract with one of the Restoration Services

Old 08-31-2017, 02:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you might be able to contract with one of the Restoration Services
A close friend had a dishwasher leak which caused considerable damage. Her insurance company (Amica, very good!) brought in their contractor, Sparkkles.
https://www.cityfos.com/company/SPAR...C-14417536.htm

The reason for mentioning Sparkkles is that they had two specialized teams: Tear-out, and Rebuild. The Tear-out team knew how to avoid damaging HVAC and wiring because that did not have to be replaced.

You might be pleased with Sparkkles or any other Damage Control business which has teams because you want to hire only the Tear-out team.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 PM

261 posts, read 307,873 times
It's really not that difficult to do the demo without destroying the electrical and HVAC. Why not save 1000's and DIY?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:03 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
It's really not that difficult to do the demo without destroying the electrical and HVAC. Why not save 1000's and DIY?
This x1000. Its fairly easy to do, the risk is minimal as you will eventually be rebuilding it yourself and you might learn a few things along the way. Also, look at water intrusion prevention measures from the outside first - you would prefer the water never make it into the basement in the first place. When I was newly graduated from college (in the time before the internet or DIY Network/HGTV), I jack-hammered a trench along the interior of my parents basement, installed a drain pipe all the way to the sump pump, buried it in gravel and cemented over it. Still working great 20+ years later. The hard part was hauling the concrete/cement to the basement and then completing the basement remodel (drywall, etc.)

Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Rent a dumpster, invite some friends over, get some pizza + beer, and have a demo day.

Save a bunch of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary