Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,890 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I'm a former Cary NCer homesick for my suburban mall rat roots! As the youngest of five girls, I spent a lot of my childhood at this mall, both before and after the "village" became the "towne center." I have so many fun memories of the old mall, but was so young at the time I struggle to remember the stores, and would love to see photos if there are any (I've looked).
Here's what I recall, some may be a little off, feel free to add:
- Scotty's hotdogs. Everybody talked about these. I liked the fries.
- bressler's or dressler's ice cream - always got a strawberry scoop here
- aloha Chinese - my first Chinese takeout, vaguely Hawaiian themed?
- cousins pizza - red walled, greasy slices at the counter
- man trap hair cutters - I used to get a Dorothy hammill bowl cut against my will by a Cats-cast member lookalike named Carrie.
- an arcade that was right beside the main entrance
- Ivey's department store
- Hudson Belk, back then had weird wall decor with varying shades of mauve and brown velvet. Groovy.
- young fashions - kid's clothing store. I used to love running up and down the little railed off steps.
- world bazaar - papasan chairs and dried eucalyptus emporium.
- the limited - back when they sold awesome Forenza sweaters.
- the limited too - this was post "towne" renovation, but it was pretty awesome in the early nineties for Tweens like me
- the music store, I can't remember the name...
- pizza inn across the parking lot. Pizzerts!

What else do you recall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 06:24 AM

204 posts, read 383,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenwins View Post
Hi guys. I'm a former Cary NCer homesick for my suburban mall rat roots! As the youngest of five girls, I spent a lot of my childhood at this mall, both before and after the "village" became the "towne center." I have so many fun memories of the old mall, but was so young at the time I struggle to remember the stores, and would love to see photos if there are any (I've looked).
Here's what I recall, some may be a little off, feel free to add:
- Scotty's hotdogs. Everybody talked about these. I liked the fries.
- bressler's or dressler's ice cream - always got a strawberry scoop here
- aloha Chinese - my first Chinese takeout, vaguely Hawaiian themed?
- cousins pizza - red walled, greasy slices at the counter
- man trap hair cutters - I used to get a Dorothy hammill bowl cut against my will by a Cats-cast member lookalike named Carrie.
- an arcade that was right beside the main entrance
- Ivey's department store
- Hudson Belk, back then had weird wall decor with varying shades of mauve and brown velvet. Groovy.
- young fashions - kid's clothing store. I used to love running up and down the little railed off steps.
- world bazaar - papasan chairs and dried eucalyptus emporium.
- the limited - back when they sold awesome Forenza sweaters.
- the limited too - this was post "towne" renovation, but it was pretty awesome in the early nineties for Tweens like me
- the music store, I can't remember the name...
- pizza inn across the parking lot. Pizzerts!

What else do you recall?
I remember the same era. I attended East Cary Middle School, so the mall was a natural hangout after school and on weekends.

Stores I remember:
Spencer's
Suncoast Music (there was another one in that little open area just beyond the food court where I would always buy my cassingles)
Thalhimers -> Hechts -> Macy's
Eddie Bauer
Imperial Theaters across the street
That Pizza Inn buffet was the real deal!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
I just loved that the food court was in the middle of Cary Village Mall.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 AM

95 posts, read 131,345 times
I would love to know how much money my family spent playing skeeball in that arcade. Skeeball tickets were the preferred form of currency for kids like me aged 5-10.

My other memory is bubblegum ice cream from the ice cream shop that was in the center.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
That was my all time favorite Ivey's!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:46 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post
I would love to know how much money my family spent playing skeeball in that arcade. Skeeball tickets were the preferred form of currency for kids like me aged 5-10.
We usually went to the GC Murphy's at Crabtree to play pinball.

There was a good Gyro place in the food court, but I don't recall the name.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 AM

86 posts, read 123,612 times
Next to Mantrap Haircutters was Camelot Records and an office supply/craft-type store that I cannot remember the name of.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:46 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
In the Cary Village Mall days:

Time-Out was the arcade near the rear mall entrance but after they remodeled the bigger arcade was put in at the front entrance

Camelot Music was the "record" store

KK toys I think was the toy store

Surf Report clothing

I used to love World Bazaar, they would sell Chinese stars to 10 year old kids...would probably get a jail sentence for doing that nowadays lol.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
Next to Mantrap Haircutters was Camelot Records and an office supply/craft-type store that I cannot remember the name of.
Was that Hungate's, or was Hugate's at Crabtree?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasey View Post
Yes I now remember that! I remember the red Camelot logo. I accidentally walked out of their with a Sesame Street album under my arm, my mom made me return it sheepishly to the manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary