Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:43 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,006,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
But Florida will be our home base. And linking that back to the subject at hand, the COL in North Carolina for retirees has become more expensive since making IRAs and 401ks taxable at the state level. As that will be our primary income in retirement, I'd rather live in a state that doesn't tax retirement income.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if it's a good idea for states to discourage incoming retirees like that, in order to court more people still producing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
That's an interesting point. I wonder if it's a good idea for states to discourage incoming retirees like that, in order to court more people still producing...
Someone needs to tell all the retirees moving to CH in droves that this place is not retirement friendly. If they were to be directed further south towards FL for better retirement living that would be a wonderful thing for all parties involved.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Someone needs to tell all the retirees moving to CH in droves that this place is not retirement friendly. If they were to be directed further south towards FL for better retirement living that would be a wonderful thing for all parties involved.
Not retirement friendly? Tell it to Del Webb, who just keeps building and selling houses to all those retired folks.

I assume that you're still young - too young to recognize what makes ano area good or bad for retirement. I can assure you that the Triangle has PLENTY going for it for retirees.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not retirement friendly? Tell it to Del Webb, who just keeps building and selling houses to all those retired folks.

I assume that you're still young - too young to recognize what makes ano area good or bad for retirement. I can assure you that the Triangle has PLENTY going for it for retirees.
I was being facetious. I guess that doesn't always convey in text. haha.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I think he was being sarcastic. I was mentioning that the COL is not as retirement friendly in NC as it used to be since they started taxing retirement income such as IRAs and 401ks. Paying nearly 6% in state income tax is not very appealing when many other states don't tax retirement income. Of course there are other features of NC that make it appealing for retirement, but that is not one of them.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM

127 posts, read 135,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Why?
Retirees don't tend to be the exciting people you target, but states still should. They are people with money saved up, so are spending, but not taking any jobs. They also don't require schools, etc.
You just have to worry about healthcare.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
I think he was being sarcastic. I was mentioning that the COL is not as retirement friendly in NC as it used to be since they started taxing retirement income such as IRAs and 401ks. Paying nearly 6% in state income tax is not very appealing when many other states don't tax retirement income. Of course there are other features of NC that make it appealing for retirement, but that is not one of them.
THAT I can certainly agree with. The ridiculous liquor laws and lack of Happy Hours is another big detriment. No I'm not kidding.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
From Retirement Living:
"Currently, seven states do not tax individual income – retirement or otherwise: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two other states – New Hampshire and Tennessee – impose income taxes only on dividends and interest (5 percent flat rate for both states)."

I wouldn't live in any of the above states, except for New Hampshire but I left New England to get away from the cold weather. Personally, I hate FL, except for a brief vacation in winter. The east coast makes my skin crawl. The more appealing areas of FL also have higher real estates prices, so in the end, you pay more in some whay.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:44 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
From Retirement Living:
"Currently, seven states do not tax individual income – retirement or otherwise: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two other states – New Hampshire and Tennessee – impose income taxes only on dividends and interest (5 percent flat rate for both states)."

I wouldn't live in any of the above states, except for New Hampshire but I left New England to get away from the cold weather. Personally, I hate FL, except for a brief vacation in winter. The east coast makes my skin crawl. The more appealing areas of FL also have higher real estates prices, so in the end, you pay more in some whay.
Those are only the states that do not tax EITHER individual income or retirement income. There are many states that do not tax retirement income or only tax portions of it (even though they do tax regular income which generally isn't a concern for retirees). For example, on the east coast (didn't look at the rest of the country), the following states do not tax retirement income or only tax portions of it:

Delaware (401K and IRA not taxed up to $12.5K)
Florida (401k and IRA not taxed at all)
Georgia (401k and IRA not taxed up to $65K)
Kentucky (401k and IRA not taxed up to $41K)
Maryland (401K not taxed up to $29K)
New Jersey (401k and IRA not taxed up to $40K)
New York (401k and IRA not taxed up to $20K)
Pennsylvania (401K and IRA not taxed at all)
South Carolina (401K and IRA not taxed up to $30K)
Tennessee (401k and IRA not taxed at all)
West Virginia (401k and iRA not taxed up to $16K)

So, if in retirement, you will be living primarily off your 401K and will be withdrawing say $65K per year from it to live on, then you are paying about $3K in income taxes to the state of NC, not including federal taxes. Of course you don't want to look just at that metric alone because as you said, the state can get you in other ways. However, some states give much better breaks to seniors. There is a reason many retirees call Florida home, even if it's just for 6 months and 1 day.

North Carolina is not a tax-unfriendly state to retirees per se, but it's not particularly friendly to retirees either. You have to know where your income is coming from (public pension? 401k, etc.), how high it will be (does state give breaks below a certain threshold?), how large of a house you want (what will property taxes be?, any breaks for seniors?), etc. and then decide which state meets your needs best. Of course, if everything else about North Carolina appeals to you like weather, east coast, near beach, etc. you probably won't pick Wyoming over it. But you might pick South Carolina or Georgia, which have similar amenities but more favorable tax laws for retirees.

Here is Kiplinger's guide to retiree taxes in all 50 states. It is very informative. My husband and I are in the thick of retirement planning and have found this chart very useful (although I don't care much for the comparison tool which is a bit too simplified):

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

Last edited by michgc; 10-17-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 07:09 AM

104 posts, read 172,209 times
Quote:
Those are only the states that do not tax EITHER individual income or retirement income. There are many states that do not tax retirement income like 401ks and IRAs (even though they do tax regular income which generally isn't a concern for retirees). For example, on the east coast (didn't look at the rest of the country), the following states do not tax retirement income or only tax portions of it:
I would hope that $5000 a year isn't the determining factor in where you choose to live out the rest of your life. The money isn't going with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary