Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 9,589 times

Advertisements

Moving from So FLA to Raleigh area next year. 2 young kids, 6 and 7. Job will be at 540/40 RTP area. Likely can commute off time a bit, early or slightly late to offset rush hour some. Want some land, but not so much you don't see neighbors, and not like where you go out in back yard and up to your fence is 2 more homes either. Want a neighborhood with a community pool/clubhouse, social activities for kids. School need to be safe, but don't have to be 10/10. Prefer smaller schools. Looking in the 450-550 range for 4+/4 3500sqft+ home, ideally with basement, newer or redone inside, good lot.

So, seeing some stuff in Wake Forest very nice, some in North Raleigh, some down in Eagle Ridge and south Raleigh, Holly Springs, Cary, Apex, and even outskirts of Chapel between Cary and Chapel type area. All look nice, all seemingly fit the want list, but I guess it will come down to commute and neighborhood. Don't want to spend 500 a month on HOAs likely either.

For people very familiar with commuting from these areas, and knowing these areas, any specific neighborhoods to key in on? Any to stay away from. Want it full of families with young kids, active, social. Around here, I go play pick up BBall on weekend, kids play at pool and at park, social events like Fall Harvest holiday planned, food trucks etc. Absolutely don't care about night life, total home body and neighborhood is number 1 priority, could care less if Best Buy or a good museum is 45 mins or more.

Someone want to help me narrow this down? Commute needs to be 30 or less, really don't want 45 mins or more. Seems like so many nice areas! Hard to narrow it down! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 PM

360 posts, read 721,687 times
If you want 30 minutes or less, you can chop Holly Springs, South Raleigh and probably Wake Forest off that list. Small schools, at least the public schools, don't exist in the areas you listed. Most schools are bursting at the seams and several more per year, not counting private or charter, open on average in Wake County alone. If you want small, private schools will be your best option.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,602 times
Look in Bedford. They have what you're basically describing and I think it's a pretty good commute to RTP.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 9,589 times
From what I see totally not what I want. Houses WAY too close to one another. More like 1/2 acre+ lots looking for. So what about chatham county fearrington area? What is the Wake Forest commute like? Again, can likely go off peak. Apex in the running? Cary? thoughts?

Old 10-29-2017, 01:32 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Woodcroft in Durham large pool private greenways along neighborhood

Budget getting squeezed in Cary these days

Pitsborrough kind of too far from rtp you are on the wrong side of Jordan lake

Honestly your wants are a little high I think do you need a 3500 sq ft house on a half acre plus in nhood w a pool I’m not sure about that at price pt

Old 10-29-2017, 01:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
You need either more budget, an older house, a smaller house, or a smaller lot.

Or, be willing to make a LONG commute.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Dropping the square footage requirement opens up a ton. Do you absolutely need 3500 square feet and 4 bathrooms?

Put the basement out of your head - they exist but you won't find it with all your other requirements.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,602 times
I think the lot requirement is probably the killer, unless you are willing to give on the commute too. Most of these new homes are being built on much smaller lots these days.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:12 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,991 times
If you are willing to buy an older home, and possibly compromise on square footage, you can find something that meets your needs in North Raleigh. For instance, Stonebridge is a nice neighborhood built mostly in the 1980s. Community pools, multiple access routes to RTP all under 30 minutes, larger lots (~1 acre). But you might be in the low 3000 sq ft range vs. 3500 sq ft, and with a 30 year old home it might need some updating.

If all that is OK, it is a great neighborhood. Look into the school options vs. base schools (e.g., Sycamore Creek Elementary is a really good elementary school).

Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
You're going to compromise somewhere, and your best bet is the land/home size requirement. If you're interested in Cary check out some of the subdivisions east of highway 55. You're not going to get small schools either...but coming from a small, village based school district I will say that schools here do a good job managing their size and making it feel not so overwhelming. That was a concern of mine as well. It would be harder to find neighborhoods that don't meet most of your needs, honestly....this area is chock full of subdivisions with community pools, activities, tons of kids, etc. You'll find your spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary