Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

My parents retired to Fearrington Village and loved it. Having visited many times, my husband and I like it too and as we approach retirement are thinking it might work for us as well. My question is what other areas are similar in makeup to FV? We like the older homes, ranch style. We really like the active community - clubs galore! And, we like having the little village to go to for a coffee or beer. Also, like the Duke Center being there! Secondly, has FV changed a lot over the last few years - for the better or for the worse? Thank you in advance for helping us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
It seems that Fearrington Village is sui generis, if what you are looking for are the proximity to a village, many one-story homes, and a progressive and active community. What also adds to its character is that, even in areas where new houses are being built, most of the trees are left, and there is almost no clear-cutting; a strong tradition of volunteerism; and while it has many retirees, it is not age-restricted and there are young families as well.

There is new building going on, and another 200+ houses are being added -- but they all seem to be being done in the same spirit as the existing houses.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,589 times
Thank you for your response! I just don't understand regular developers - why can't they see a model like this and emulate it! I know, I know - not enough ROI in this model - enough for the Fitch family though!

Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
It seems that Fearrington Village is sui generis, if what you are looking for are the proximity to a village, many one-story homes, and a progressive and active community. What also adds to its character is that, even in areas where new houses are being built, most of the trees are left, and there is almost no clear-cutting; a strong tradition of volunteerism; and while it has many retirees, it is not age-restricted and there are young families as well.

There is new building going on, and another 200+ houses are being added -- but they all seem to be being done in the same spirit as the existing houses.
Probably because it's easier to clear cut all the timber, sell it off, and then not worry about how you are going to finagle a house onto the site. You can divide the lots up easier/consistently.

I agree with you though, I'm not a fan of what happens in most new neighborhood developments these days.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:24 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Frankly, it is all about water, sewer, and occasionally wetlands. Water is difficult to pull in some areas because of the underlying geology. As for sewer, the rules make it more and more difficult all the time unless a big developer puts in all the infrastucture and sends sewage to a major collection center. If the development doesn't create at least a couple hundred homes on a 100 acres it is not gonna happen. Often it seems that big developers get around the wetland and watershed issues but they need deep pockets.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmassa View Post
Thank you for your response! I just don't understand regular developers - why can't they see a model like this and emulate it! I know, I know - not enough ROI in this model - enough for the Fitch family though!
I have no idea what the ROI is for the developer of Fearrington Village, but I can tell you that the risk (financing risk, market risk, demand risk, etc.) associated with a development of that size is huge. Thats why you don't see more of them. Not to mention the difficulty in finding a suitable 1,200 acre site.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:48 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmassa View Post
We really like the active community - clubs galore!
My parents aren't ready to move in with us yet so I was curious about other options in the area, if they do decide to leave The Villages. They have a lot of clubs there and ride around on golf carts too, so the I just looked to see what the closest course is to Fearrington Village. Doesn't look like they have their own course yet.

The Villages is very successful, and they have many more options because it's enormous. I don't know if my parents would find it limiting to go to FV but I can try! I'll keep reading this thread with interest, thanks for bringing it up.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Fearrington Village is nothing like the Villages in Florida. It's just a neighborhood. It's a nice one and they do have an associated retirement place, but folks of all ages live in the neighborhood. We had friends with small kids who lived there until a couple of years ago.

If you're looking for a retirement community for your folks there are many options in the area.

Meadowmont and Southern Village and to some extent Briar Chapel are newer variations on the Fearrington model, but with fewer one story ranch homes.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:24 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Fearrington Village is nothing like the Villages in Florida. It's just a neighborhood. It's a nice one and they do have an associated retirement place, but folks of all ages live in the neighborhood. We had friends with small kids who lived there until a couple of years ago.

If you're looking for a retirement community for your folks there are many options in the area.

Meadowmont and Southern Village and to some extent Briar Chapel are newer variations on the Fearrington model, but with fewer one story ranch homes.
The Villages are pretty unique aren't they? They're not particularly enjoying much about it these days other than the golf courses everywhere and dining/shopping options.

Thanks for the suggestions, they'll both be visiting in January so maybe I'll just happen to swing by a few of these areas and mention that they're retirement communities.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
If they can afford it and depending on their age I really like the CCRC models like Carolina Meadows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary