Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Just. Stop. Now.

You're doing it again, spouting your opinions about all the supposedly horrible things newcomers to the Triangle will bring to the area short of flood and famine (or maybe that too, as I haven't read everything you've posted). The stuff I've highlighted in bold is particularly egregious even by your standards.

Who are you to define what "overpaid transplants" are? You're upset that we have an influx of rich people because you don't think they earned what they've gained by merit? Where's your proof for that, as well as that a majority of them will come here and then leave when a downturn hits? That certainly didn't happen in 2008-2009. And wouldn't they be contributing to our economy while they're here as taxpaying residents?

Look, if you don't like development trends in the area, that's fine and worthy of comment. But don't do so by impugning the character of those who decide to take advantage of these new buildings and spend their money on it.

By the way, I'm a Caucasian too. And I'm tired of other Caucasians who make racial issues out of things that aren't, like the last mayoral race in Raleigh.
The genuine irony to me is that Capital moved here as a transplant.

I would not usually allow this back and forth (even if I am pretty flexible as a moderator), but he knows what he's headed in for when he starts up these topics with this slant.

Hell, half the time he's bitching about Cary and I live in Cary and I'm A NATIVE OF THE AREA FOR GENERATIONS.

I think it's safe to say that any problems highlighted in this thread could have been solved by buying a house 30 years ago.

Greatest housing budget stabilizer ever.

ETA: I'm also Caucasian and I also hate it when people make things into race topics when they aren't race topics.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
Trickle-down economics doesnt work.
Of course not, but average citizens who make a bit more cash do tend to spend more money. We're families, not corporations.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Rent will only go up over time no matter where you are. If anything more nice apartments should be good for you capitalblvd as it will decrease demand for where you are and thus prices won’t rise as fast and may even drop a little to lure people in.

You may want to consider buying. When we bought our first house we didn’t think it would be doable but we wound up spending less in mortgage than we had in rent. Sure you have to pay to fix things but you can budget for that. We were making peanuts at the time (42k combined) and made it work. Just food for thought.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:16 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
Trickle-down economics doesnt work.
Trickle down economics is based on reducing the taxes on the wealthy. I've not suggested that at all.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The genuine irony to me is that Capital moved here as a transplant.

I would not usually allow this back and forth (even if I am pretty flexible as a moderator), but he knows what he's headed in for when he starts up these topics with this slant.

Hell, half the time he's bitching about Cary and I live in Cary and I'm A NATIVE OF THE AREA FOR GENERATIONS.

I think it's safe to say that any problems highlighted in this thread could have been solved by buying a house 30 years ago.

Greatest housing budget stabilizer ever.

ETA: I'm also Caucasian and I also hate it when people make things into race topics when they aren't race topics.
What adds to the problem is the lack of quality, especially in the new tinderbox apartments.

In a few years, these buildings begin to fall apart and will no longer attract the luxury crowd. Then, will we wind up with a lot of slums?

The big joke is that the high earners help the tax base at once. Especially the infrastructure needs they bring without impact fees, making all taxpayers subsidize the newcomers by borrowing until tax collections can pay off the bonds.

Encouraging this influx is not a great idea.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
What adds to the problem is the lack of quality, especially in the new tinderbox apartments.

In a few years, these buildings begin to fall apart and will no longer attract the luxury crowd. Then, will we wind up with a lot of slums?

The big joke is that the high earners help the tax base at once. Especially the infrastructure needs they bring without impact fees, making all taxpayers subsidize the newcomers by borrowing until tax collections can pay off the bonds.

Please stop. Take a macroeconomics course at a community college. I don't want to sound overly harsh, but you're not subsidizing anyone, as you're very likely not even covering your own costs.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:

You think apartment buildings are encouraging the influx? If people want to come here, they can easily buy houses, and many of them do. Often, apartments for people who are not already here are just a temporary stop until they find a place to buy.

I'm not sure how you feel justified complaining about transplants, though. If everyone in NC had long ago slammed the door shut and you hadn't made the cut, I guess you'd be complaining someplace else?

The reality is that where this hits you is in the wallet. And, yes, that sucks.

But, you have been here way too long and you've watched prices and the population increase. You were always free to snap up an inexpensive house while you could. You chose not to, knowing NC doesn't really do "rent subsidized" or "rent controls."

Also, those new "tinderboxes" as you call them have to meet more rigorous safety standards than older buildings so I'm not sure why you think they're going to fall apart.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:

Everything new becomes, well, old at some point.

I'm just not understanding your angle. You're mad because "rich" people are buying these places. But you're also mad that at some point they will no longer be considered "luxury" and then people of more modest means will move in.

Do you even know what you're arguing about?

Or was it just a ruse to bring up "tinderboxes" again?

We get it, you choose to rent and are going to be left behind by the influx of "money" from transplants. Your posts would appear more genuine if you took a personal stance about how the changing economy affects you, rather than creating foolish scenarios.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:20 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Places where these "tinderboxes"are built are in highly desirable areas (urban, walkable or proximity to work locations). I'm pretty sure that as long as there isn't an economic downturn, those places will continue to redevelop as necessary as demand calls for it.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Everything new becomes, well, old at some point.

I'm just not understanding your angle. You're mad because "rich" people are buying these places. But you're also mad that at some point they will no longer be considered "luxury" and then people of more modest means will move in.

Do you even know what you're arguing about?

Or was it just a ruse to bring up "tinderboxes" again?

We get it, you choose to rent and are going to be left behind by the influx of "money" from transplants. Your posts would appear more genuine if you took a personal stance about how the changing economy affects you, rather than creating foolish scenarios.
Building regulations have increased since the 1980s. They have not decreased. I still don't get how the new stuff is all "tinderboxes" and the old stuff is superior.

That's like saying the stuff with asbestos was more flame retardant (true) while ignoring it was unsafe (also true).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary