Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,852 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...nt-in.amp.html

I was just reading articles on Raleigh metro growth estimates and pondering a number of things...

-Are there proper plans set for this growth?Since we will be making a move from Collin County in the DFW metro area where the rapid growth has been handled horrifically,we want to avoid moving to another area that will end up just like where we left.

-How will the metro area grow?Will it be mostly thru added density or will growth sprawl outwards?

-What is being done to preserve trees and green spaces?What areas/towns have done the best job so far with preserving trees and green spaces?

-What towns have the potential to grow to be the next Cary,Apex,Holly Springs etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 PM

873 posts, read 1,018,538 times
According to one resident C-D member, it'll be overrun by hipsters living in tinderboxes who will crowd our roads and drain our resources before leaving Raleigh as a vast dystopia wherein all who are left who weren't priced out of living there will be left to suffer. But it'll have lots of trees, so it'll be pretty nice too.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...nt-in.amp.html

I was just reading articles on Raleigh metro growth estimates and pondering a number of things...

-Are there proper plans set for this growth?Since we will be making a move from Collin County in the DFW metro area where the rapid growth has been handled horrifically,we want to avoid moving to another area that will end up just like where we left.

-How will the metro area grow?Will it be mostly thru added density or will growth sprawl outwards?

-What is being done to preserve trees and green spaces?What areas/towns have done the best job so far with preserving trees and green spaces?

-What towns have the potential to grow to be the next Cary,Apex,Holly Springs etc?
I honestly think Raleigh's growth will mirror the growth of every other American city. I don't really see anything that would lead me to believe otherwise.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:02 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I honestly think Raleigh's growth will mirror the growth of every other American city. I don't really see anything that would lead me to believe otherwise.
Especially considering the area is made of of like 15-20 different municipalities that don’t always talk things over.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,051 times
We'll continue to expand outward (e.g., Chatham Park) and eventually add public transportation options such as a lite rail. I live just north of I-540 and have long joked that by the time I retire, my area will be the new ITB.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 AM

617 posts, read 553,059 times
And that is just the "Raleigh" side of the entire Triangle CSA which includes Durham and Orange counties. So 2.2 million, plus what? Another million from the Durham-Chapel Hill side? So all in all the cohesive triangle will be well over 3 million. The greater Triangle area is around 2.1 million right now. 20 + years from now is going to be a sight to see especially if public transit isn't off the ground yet (light rail, BRT, Commuter rail, etc.)

Old 11-22-2017, 06:43 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Yeah i would really really hope the feet dragging over public transportation stops sooner rather then later. If by what trends say its clear this area is going to continue booming in population, why not get a solid transportation network in place now? I know everythings about money but man it seems like it will cost a whole lot more if we wait until more and more people are here.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:01 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I would agree in general, although it looks like Raleigh will approach where CLT is today.

The Caspio data looks interesting, too bad you can only see the total results one page at a time, would be interesting to get a full CSV download of it.

"...How Will it Happen?"
Over CB's....!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:04 AM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
According to one resident C-D member, it'll be overrun by hipsters living in tinderboxes who will crowd our roads (...all of which were designed by mental defectives...) and drain our resources before leaving Raleigh as a vast dystopia wherein all who are left who weren't priced out of living there will be left to suffer. But it'll have lots of trees, so it'll be pretty nice too.
Edited for more comprehensive dystopian awareness.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:07 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
The cities and towns can do the best they can but are also at the mercy of NCDOT and the railroads. Perhaps there is a reasonable way to better integrate all of the necessary activities to ease the growing pains. But without demand, NCDOT won't be there (other parts of the state need infrastructure too) and the railroads are essentially private so you know what that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary