Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times

Advertisements

Here is an application for a new charter school looking to draw from the western Wake area, but physically be in Chatham county. Their projected enrollment after 5 years is right around 1000 kids in K-12.
http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...20/liberty.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 01:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Here is an application for a new charter school looking to draw from the western Wake area, but physically be in Chatham county. Their projected enrollment after 5 years is right around 1000 kids in K-12.
http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...20/liberty.pdf
A 1000-dollar, NONREFUNDABLE APP FEE???

Nope.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:42 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
A 1000-dollar, NONREFUNDABLE APP FEE???

Nope.
That’s the application fee the prospective school has to pay to the state to have their charter application considered, not a student application fee.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,723 times
I love charter schools! I wish there were more variety, competition and choices in K-12 education.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That’s the application fee the prospective school has to pay to the state to have their charter application considered, not a student application fee.
I should have read further. I still think a 1K, nonrefundable app fee is steep.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I love charter schools! I wish there were more variety, competition and choices in K-12 education.
I agree re: variety. I do not agree re: how they get paid or the lack of accountability.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:56 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I should have read further. I still think a 1K, nonrefundable app fee is steep.
How so? These people are trying to get millions of dollars per year from the government to run a school. $1000 to show they’re serious and to cover some of the costs of evaluating their application seems low to me.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
How so? These people are trying to get millions of dollars per year from the government to run a school. $1000 to show they’re serious and to cover some of the costs of evaluating their application seems low to me.
I was thinking of nonprofits just getting started. The nonrefundable part bugs me.

Why not refundable if you are approved?

Old 12-04-2017, 05:01 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would like to see more regulation of charter schools, personally. Different states have different systems and some work better than others. I'd like to see more oversight of charters and a requirement that they be nonprofit. I know some of those KIPP schools and others have good track records, but IMO they should be private schools.

My kids have gone to a charter since 2012. It has changed drastically over those 5 yrs. We have had 3 different directors and the mission of the school is pretty different now from when we signed up. I don't know if I would have been interested in it for my kids then if it was what it is now.

The school board has been run like a corporation with the current board recommending selections for vacant seats rather than like a local school board with wide-open elections. That board then gets to pick the director. I don't like the way it's structured but there's nobody to complain to except the board.
The schools themselves are non-profits. The confusion is that a for-profit company, such as Charter Schools USA or National Heritage Academies can open charter schools and then "manage" them, for a huge fee. This is how they make their profit.

Although these companies do have their teeth in pretty deep in NC, there are still a good number of "mom and pop" charter schools in NC that are started by individuals/groups who refuse to partner with the for-profit machines.

But you're right, the oversight is pretty much non-existent. We too had an experience with a charter that had one vision at its opening and just a few years later, does not resemble the original at all. With so many charters now, once a charter is approved, no one at the state level gives a flip what happens to it or notices if a board goes rogue. I'd like to see the flow of new charter school openings slowed or stopped until a better system of oversight is in place. Or be more diligent about closing the ones that are treading water, which is a lot of them.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 PM

61 posts, read 54,764 times
Speaking of the new 2,000 student charter school, that and another one that was going to be built in Knightdale is also apparently dead.

Cardinal Charter Academy West Campus in Cary won't open | News & Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary