Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:22 PM

29 posts, read 34,593 times

Advertisements

schools, crime and things to do? Good shopping centers and restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 07:44 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,961 times
Garner's a really nice town. People around the Triangle sometimes tease Garner for being a little more "country" than most of the built-up parts of the region (one of the few urban/suburban places around here where you actually still hear some Southern accents, although plenty of Yankees and immigrants there also), and it's definitely not quite as upscale as some of the more affluent places in the area. So it doesn't have quite as much shopping and dining to offer as places like Cary or Apex or Morrisville, and the schools aren't quite as highly rated and the crime rate not quite as absurdly low. But it's also a lot more affordable, and overall Garner is a great place to live – mostly very quiet, middle-of-the road suburbia, with all the standard suburban retail amenities, a few rough areas, and a decent amount of newer, fancier development coming, too. Garner is very convenient to Downtown Raleigh and to I-40 (although rush hour traffic makes commuting to RTP or points west a challenge, especially with that stretch of road currently under construction), which gives access to lots of entertainment and cultural opportunities. Garner's own little downtown area has been sleepy for decades, but recently has shown some signs of new life, and the town appears to have some really interesting plans for continuing to develop it and the rest of the town in the coming years. If you like a nice, pleasant, unpretentious suburban setting with down-to-earth people and a little bit of subtle charm and "cool", Garner is definitely worth checking out.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:58 PM

102 posts, read 149,177 times
When I moved here, people did joke about Garner. It did seem a little more 'country,' but I like that. We've visited for many events in Garner, and people there seem friendly.

If I didn't work as far north, I would probably be living in Garner, eating Grill 57 weekly, and attending antique car shows on the weekends!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,272 times
Garner is great and probably your cheapest option for living around Raleigh. It is really close to downtown so even though it does become rural quicker then other suburbs, the line between what is Raleigh and what is Garner is much more blurred. Garner is just an extension of south Raleigh.

White Oak is a great spot for shopping and restaurants and things to do.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:48 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
Garner is GREAT!! Moved here 25 years ago. Garner provides all the amenities of Raleigh such as shows, concerts, food, festivals, etc at only 10 minutes away for literally half the real estate costs. Garner has been growing especially in the White Oak so we really no longer go to Cary for anything. We absolutely love it here. I work near RTP so the drive down 40 on rush hours are around 30 minutes. Personally I do not mind. As a bonus you are closer to the beach then Raleigh.

Our kids attended Elementary school here in Garner and it the teachers were excellent (Vandora). As far as high school it really is not that big a deal for us since our kids went the charter school route in downtown Raleigh.

The Garner fire department is excellent as well as the Police. In general the town is more southern and less ...uhm.. snooty unlike Cary (we lived there 5 years. Could not take it any more and found our selves in Garner).

Bottom line you will not regret Garner and the access it provides to Raleigh.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Garner is nice, definetely has real genuine people. Southern charm is in the air over Garner mixed with suburbia. Infinetely better than the snooty, pretentious, elitist out of stater atmosphere of Cary, Apex, Mooressville, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro... top raleigh burbs are fuquay, garner, clayton, kdale, wendell ,zebulon , wake forest, and rolesville.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 AM

807 posts, read 689,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhezzy2003 View Post
schools, crime and things to do? Good shopping centers and restaurants?
I've lived in the Garner area all my life, and for the most part it's fairly quiet, but in a good way. It seems to kind of get overlooked compared to Apex, Cary, and some of the other 'burbs, but it's a good, friendly area and is convenient to pretty much everything. Several of the schools have either recently been rebuilt or are brand new, and the little amount of crime that does occur is generally kind of petty. A lot of the neighborhoods around here are more on the entry-level side, but for the most part they've all been established for a while and definitely are not slums by any means. There isn't really an entertainment district per say, but the White Oak Shopping Center is one of the largest shopping centers in the Raleigh area and offers plenty of shopping and dining options. There are also several parks and a recently renovated regional library. In addition, a new rec center as well as a new YMCA are both under construction and should be opening soon.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Garner is nice, definetely has real genuine people. Southern charm is in the air over Garner mixed with suburbia. Infinetely better than the snooty, pretentious, elitist out of stater atmosphere of Cary, Apex, Mooressville, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro... top raleigh burbs are fuquay, garner, clayton, kdale, wendell ,zebulon , wake forest, and rolesville.
Mooressville?

Seriously?

Old 12-02-2017, 12:53 PM

545 posts, read 1,604,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime00 View Post

If I didn't work as far north, I would probably be living in Garner, eating Grill 57 weekly, and attending antique car shows on the weekends!
Hate to tell you but I heard Grill 57 is closing. Think they're putting a Steak and Shake in there. Too bad, they had great grilled hot dogs!

Old 12-02-2017, 02:14 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
lol, calm down there cranky pants. Someone needs a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary