Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:27 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,204 times

Advertisements

I moved to West Cary off O'Kelly Chapel Road roughly 4 years ago; when Parkside Commons was a field, UNC Wellness Center didn't exist, and there was no elementary school. With every lease I sign, the rent goes up and up. Yes, I know, this should be expected. But in less than 4 years, my rent per month has increased to the point where I'm pushing nearly a $400 per month increase. Is this a normal progression, or a bit high? I may move next year if this continues....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 09:01 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
I moved to West Cary off O'Kelly Chapel Road roughly 4 years ago; when Parkside Commons was a field, UNC Wellness Center didn't exist, and there was no elementary school. With every lease I sign, the rent goes up and up. Yes, I know, this should be expected. But in less than 4 years, my rent per month has increased to the point where I'm pushing nearly a $400 per month increase. Is this a normal progression, or a bit high? I may move next year if this continues....
How many times have you moved in 4 years?

I've lived near Park West for about 3 years in the same apartment and I think my rent has only gone up about $100.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:18 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Looks like you're already planning on moving to Atlanta?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:29 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I think big apartment complexes are like cable companies. They'll keep pushing you and pushing you until you leave and go somewhere else. I know it's a pain to move, but it probably makes more financial sense to bounce around, or find an independently owned rental.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:51 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Compare your rent to market rate, if you are saving money by moving go for it. If not saving much or any you really can't complain.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
How many times have you moved in 4 years?

I've lived near Park West for about 3 years in the same apartment and I think my rent has only gone up about $100.
Wow! Only $100 in THREE YEARS! Please don't ever move!

Old 12-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Looks like you're already planning on moving to Atlanta?
Yeah, but that's long term.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:31 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think big apartment complexes are like cable companies. .

Yes, to the extent that I believe the rents can be negotiated.

My sister has a co-worker who rents - she's a great tenant and can afford any increase, but when she was notified of a rent increase this year she said "no thanks, here's my notice" and she meant it - and they countered with "that's ok, stay another year at your current rate".

Old 12-02-2017, 02:53 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I’m guessing early on your complex had to offer cheaper rates to fill apartments since there was nothing nearby. Now that the area is more built out, they can up prices and still keep their occupancy rates up. Sucks for early customers, but that is the risk you take as a renter without a long term lease.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:56 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times
I've been in my apartment for eight years and my rent has increased by about $300 over those years. I usually see a 3-4% increase each year, sometimes as much as 5%. I think that's pretty standard.

But like someone mentioned above, you really should be comparing your current rent to the current rent to other similar places in the area. You're not going to save much money if what you're paying is pretty standard for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary