Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:29 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times

Advertisements

Here are 68 of the 100 stores that Macy's will close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,782 times
I just KNEW this store was going to be on the list when Macy's announced that they would be closing 100 stores. Northgate Mall has been declining ever since Belk closed their location there back in 2004. If I were the Rand family, I would be making redevelopment plans for the mall, because Sears (the only anchor left once Macy's closes) isn't long for the world, either.

When Macy's acquired Hecht's in 2006, it had the following stores:

Fayetteville - 1 (Cross Creek Mall)
Greensboro - 2 (Bridford Parkway, Friendly Center)
Winston-Salem - 1 (Hanes Mall)
Charlotte - 2 (Northlake Mall, Southpark Mall)
Pineville - 1 (Carolina Place Mall)
Cary - 1 (Cary Towne Center)
Durham - 2 (Northgate Mall, The Streets at Southpoint)
Raleigh - 2 (Crabtree Valley Mall, Triangle Towne Center)
Wilmington - 1 (Mayfaire Town Center)

Since then, the following stores have closed or are in the process of closing:

Wilmington - 1
Greensboro - 1
Cary - 1
Pineville - 1
Durham - 1

Macy's is now down to 8 stores in this state.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 01-05-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
It is disappointing to see some of these Macy's stores closing. But some of them were not managed very well after the Hecht's conversion, and some had limited assortments. And Belk tends to dominate the dept. store sector in NC. And I believe that former Wilmington store may have been previously traded to Belk.

But that Northgate store is a very nice store from an architectural and design standpoint, so it is sad indeed that it declined from a merchandising and sales standpoint. Same for that previously closed Greensboro store. Nice building. And as for Greensboro, that Friendly Center store may still be on the endangered list, as sales are not apparently strong there either, where Belk reportedly dominates.

As for the Pineville store in the Charlotte market, it was not originally planned by Macy's to close but mall owner General Growth Properties wanted the space for Dick's Sports as they would be able to command higher rent and the real estate was a more valuable asset at that location, as again Belk tended to dominate sales at that mall.

With these closings, Macy's will now be able to concentrate on stronger performing stores and supposedly upgrade them to a higher standard. Less commonplace and more exclusive, with better merchandising. The stores in the top tier malls will remain, including Crabtree, Southpoint, SouthPark, and Northlake. Only Friendly Center remains questionable and it may be on probation, and possibly Triangle Town Center eventually as well. Cross Creek in Fayetteville seems to have survived for now as well.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Part of the problem with Macy's was merging all the popular regional names and destroying brand loyalty from the previous store. And poor merchandising and management following the conversions.

The following iconic names were eliminated: Rich's, Burdine's, Lazarus, Goldsmith's, Marshall Field's, Famous-Barr, Kaufmann's, Strawbridge's, Wannamaker, Filene's, Foley's, Robinson's-May, Bon-Marche, Meir and Frank, and Hecht's. And don't forget Davison's, Bamberger's, and I. Magnin from prior conversions which seemed to work better before the Federated and May Co. merger. And Dayton Hudson was more successfully merged into Marshall Field's. The Marshall Field's conversion seemed to generate the most backlash in Chicago, and the former Rich's is lamented in Atlanta.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
Macy's is in an awkward niche. It is not luxury, but it is not bargain basement either. Mid-range merchants are struggling, including Belk. A lot of luxury shoppers will not go to Macy's because they think its clothes are too common or not affluent enough, and bargain shoppers think they are too expensive.

Last edited by Tarheelhombre; 01-05-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Macy's shares are down 14% today in a sideways market (and down more than 50% in the last 18 months). The dividend is supporting the stock, but the dividend is not secure given their recent performance. I suspect this won't be the last of the stores they close. Question is, where is the bottom -- or is there a bottom.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I would be making redevelopment plans for the mall, because Sears (the only anchor left once Macy's closes) isn't long for the world, either.
Sears' days are numbered. They literally are selling off the Craftsman brand now to Stanley and Black & Decker. They really burned that Craftsman bridge to the ground. One of the few things they had left going for them and that's not saying much, considering what they did to that brand.

Source:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/inve...-black-decker/

They're also closing 150 more Sears and Kmart stores:
http://searsholdings.com/docs/010417...osing_list.pdf

Old 01-05-2017, 04:42 PM

744 posts, read 1,263,237 times
One word: Amazon.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Sears' days are numbered. They literally are selling off the Craftsman brand now to Stanley and Black & Decker. They really burned that Craftsman bridge to the ground. One of the few things they had left going for them and that's not saying much, considering what they did to that brand.

Source:
Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley Black & Decker - Jan. 5, 2017

They're also closing 150 more Sears and Kmart stores:
http://searsholdings.com/docs/010417...osing_list.pdf
I seen it. I made a thread in the coastal forum about the Kmarts in Wilmington and Goldsboro closing. Kmart was struggling in the '90s, but it's really sad to see them taking Sears down with it.

I heard Eddie Lambert (sp?) loaned Sears and Kmart a few hundred million just so they could stay afloat.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I seen it. I made a thread in the coastal forum about the Kmarts in Wilmington and Goldsboro closing. Kmart was struggling in the '90s, but it's really sad to see them taking Sears down with it.

I heard Eddie Lambert (sp?) loaned Sears and Kmart a few hundred million just so they could stay afloat.
Eddie Lampert was the worst thing to happen to Sears/Kmart. He ruined that company. He's running it into the ground so he can squeeze out every last dollar from the real estate. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his endgame from the get-go.

As for Macy's, if the store in Durham is anything like the one in River Ridge Mall in Lynchburg (which is also closing), then I'm not surprised it got the heave-ho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary