Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:19 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
There are three separate projects: one for each interchange, and one for the widening of Aviation Parkway to Chapel Hill Rd.
  1. The project to revise the Aviation Parkway interchange (I-5506) will begin construction in April 2018. It will widen the overpass, add a loop from I-40 WB to Aviation Parkway SB, and add an auxiliary lane connecting the on-ramp from Aviation Parkway to the off-ramp to Airport Blvd.
  2. The project to revise the Airport Boulevard interchange (I-5700) is still in the planning and design phase. There are two alternatives being considered (1 and 2.) The project will also add an auxiliary lane on I-40 WB from Airport Blvd. to I-540, and on I-40 EB from Airport Blvd. to Aviation Pkwy. The project is scheduled to be let in September 2019, and should begin construction a few months thereafter.
  3. There are plans to widen Aviation Parkway to 54/Chapel Hill Rd. starting in 2023. U-5811
Thank you for this detailed response. You saved my sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:35 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
DIVERGING DIAMOND!

increases throughput substantially, 30%-40%.

They are clever and inexpensive to implement.

Some in Atlanta are more cluttered and less attractive than others, and it comes down to space available...

More room to space out the signage, etc. the more attractive the conversion will be.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 AM

368 posts, read 295,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
DIVERGING DIAMOND!

increases throughput substantially, 30%-40%.

They are clever and inexpensive to implement.

Some in Atlanta are more cluttered and less attractive than others, and it comes down to space available...

More room to space out the signage, etc. the more attractive the conversion will be.
A DDI is one of the final alternatives being considered for the Airport Blvd. interchange. It was considered but dropped for the Aviation Parkway interchange

DDIs are good for retrofits like these two where space is tight; however in the wrong place they would have worse travel time and more congestion. A DDI is good where the ramp traffic (on and off the freeway) makes up a significant percentage of the volume, specifically requiring more than 50% of the green time at the signals. A DDI is not the answer where the problem is the volume of through traffic on the surface street. In addition, there are other interchange types that work better 24/7 than the DDI, which in off peak periods is not the best. As examples, A diamond with two off-ramp loops (called a Parclo-B) is probably the best in most locations. For moderate traffic volumes a diamond with roundabouts provides the best service.

North Carolina has 11 DDIs in place, 2 under construction, and about a half dozen in planning/design. That’s more than any state other than Missouri, where the first DDI was built in 2009.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:12 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
At the meeting a month(ish) ago, they made a point to say that traffic models for the DDI design and the partial clover design at Airport Blvd work equally as well. However, the DDI design is better for construction phasing because the existing bridge could be kept open while they build the new bridges on either side of it, and would allow a more compact design and require less property acquisition, particularly in the northwest quadrant near Airgate Drive.

Now, what would REALLY make my life better would be if they'd hurry up and connect Airport Boulevard through to Davis Drive.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
At the meeting a month(ish) ago, they made a point to say that traffic models for the DDI design and the partial clover design at Airport Blvd work equally as well. However, the DDI design is better for construction phasing because the existing bridge could be kept open while they build the new bridges on either side of it, and would allow a more compact design and require less property acquisition, particularly in the northwest quadrant near Airgate Drive.

Now, what would REALLY make my life better would be if they'd hurry up and connect Airport Boulevard through to Davis Drive.
How old are you? If you’re young, you’ll get to see it!

Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Anyone traveling on I-40 near the airport exits has noticed all the tree cutting and work.

https://www.wral.com/i-40-revamping-...-rdu/17690253/

Old 11-12-2018, 03:00 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,868 times
Does anyone know if an alternative has been chosen yet for I-40 and Airport Blvd? DDI or partial cloverleaf?

Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if an alternative has been chosen yet for I-40 and Airport Blvd? DDI or partial cloverleaf?
As far as I know, they haven’t.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:10 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,868 times
This project will be let next month. The interchange will be a DDI. Majority completion is scheduled for August 15, 2023 and total completion is February 11, 2014. Should be a fun ride.

Project Proposal

Plans

Old 10-22-2019, 04:22 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
This project will be let next month. The interchange will be a DDI. Majority completion is scheduled for August 15, 2023 and total completion is February 11, 2014. Should be a fun ride.

Project Proposal

Plans
You know it's an important project when time travel is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary