Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:32 PM

765 posts, read 474,630 times

Advertisements

i think it's always been so, people living in metro areas are going to be more highly stressed because they're always under the gun....... the congestion on the roadways is worse, i bet 50 percent are chronically afflicted with the always running late syndrome.....

I've been down here for OMG 8 years now...... and yes I greatly miss metro NYC, i lived in Bergen County NJ, which when i was a kid was about 16 minutes from the George Washington Bridge, but now, with the crammed in overpopulation, it takes upwards past 35 minutes to get there, and then you sit on the access ramp for another 20 minutes just to get to the toll plaza. It's crazy bad, many of the access roads going into the cities are only two lanes, but do stretch out to 3 or 4 approaching the bridge, but OMG some roads are just speedways, (never ever drive on the Garden State Parkway, really, it's one of the most jammed packed roadways in America) people weaving in and out of lanes like crazed demons.
BUT: as much as i miss all the cultural venues, everything open until 4 am, the diversity and the palpable energy of possibilities everywhere, I DO NOT MISS THE TRAFFIC..... OR THE MANIAC DRIVERS.... 8 years here, and only ONCE have i ever gotten the "bird" for whatever reason, probably driving too slow at some point..... so, living out here in Northern Chatham county i do find people in this specific area very polite in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,980 times
Just yesterday, we were coming up to Capital to get into a business in the strip next to USPS.

A minivan cut us off with no signal and passed us to get ahead a few seconds to a red light.

I told my wife I wish I had that kind of depth perception but would never drive like that anyway.

Maybe they will try this next time on a garbage truck.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM

114 posts, read 128,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Mecklenburg County has NC's most aggressive drivers by a large margin

Charlotte, however, is by far in the lead..

"The Queen City and its surrounding areas had 280 aggressive driving charges in 2017. Mecklenburg County is the largest county in North Carolina with over a million residents.
Wake County came in at a distant second with 54 charge. As North Carolina’s second-largest county, Wake County also has over a million residents." - SpectrumNews

Drivers have been getting waaay more aggressive around here...as evidenced by the 440 shootings... y'all be careful.

And you hotheads, take it easy... you never know what another driver is capable of...

:wink:

what shootings please...this is so bad

Old 04-24-2018, 04:10 PM

114 posts, read 128,439 times
why aren't there free courses/trainings for road rage...I think it would be good for a city and society to provide this to
the community

Old 04-25-2018, 03:40 PM

703 posts, read 781,220 times
It appears that from this study: https://www.gasbuddy.com/NewsRoom/PressRelease/599 that aggressive driving is definitely a thing in NC. NC ranked 5th of all states (and amazingly, ahead of even NJ).

I can't comment on the veracity of the research. It's strictly FWIW.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:53 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
It appears that from this study: https://www.gasbuddy.com/NewsRoom/PressRelease/599 that aggressive driving is definitely a thing in NC. NC ranked 5th of all states (and amazingly, ahead of even NJ).

I can't comment on the veracity of the research. It's strictly FWIW.
That study is absurd. The entire "study" is based on acceleration and braking, which I'm guessing is coincidentally also the data their app collects.

Edit - Yup: https://www.gasbuddy.com/NewsRoom/PressRelease/537

Old 04-25-2018, 04:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Stop being rational. this is city-data...we don't tolerate such behavior.
You don't seem to realize they were calling YOU out for posting a "No, duh!" statistic as if it were something breathtaking.

Wake, being the 2nd largest metro in the state, has the #2 amount of thousands of things.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,860 times
So I left work at a different time than usual today, and knew I'd be in the height of rush hour traffic, so I decided to take the long way home, set Waze to No Highways, and took back roads though the RTP Cary area.

While I am doing 47-48 in a 40, 30s-40s brunette in a late model white Mercedes disregards my 5-10 seconds-long signal and is not letting me turn into the lane I need to get in. I am at a safe distance, far enough ahead of her, have given ample warning and am within the rules of the road, was not having any of that nonsense and get into the lane as I was running out of road before the turn. Next I see Self-righteous Arrogant Angry Entitled Mercedes lady throwing her hands up in disbelief and with steam coming out of her ears, passes me at high speed just to get in front of me. 300 feet later we are both at the same stoplight.

So by avoiding the rush-hour NASCAR maniacs on 40 I was rewarded with even worse stupidity. Sheesh, some people taking things way too seriously and with way too much drama.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
Went to a conference in downtown Durham today so I parked at Carter-Finley and took the DRX bus - bus got to drive on the shoulder of 40 and I got a nice 30 minute nap each way.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
So I left work at a different time than usual today, and knew I'd be in the height of rush hour traffic, so I decided to take the long way home, set Waze to No Highways, and took back roads though the RTP Cary area.

While I am doing 47-48 in a 40, 30s-40s brunette in a late model white Mercedes disregards my 5-10 seconds-long signal and is not letting me turn into the lane I need to get in. I am at a safe distance, far enough ahead of her, have given ample warning and am within the rules of the road, was not having any of that nonsense and get into the lane as I was running out of road before the turn. Next I see Self-righteous Arrogant Angry Entitled Mercedes lady throwing her hands up in disbelief and with steam coming out of her ears, passes me at high speed just to get in front of me. 300 feet later we are both at the same stoplight.

So by avoiding the rush-hour NASCAR maniacs on 40 I was rewarded with even worse stupidity. Sheesh, some people taking things way too seriously and with way too much drama.
I'll play devils advocate - why did you wait so long to move over if you knew your turn was coming up? Putting your turn signal on doesn't entitle you to change lanes - you need to assess other cars, their speed, and merge when appropriate, right?

Also not that it matters, but I'm not aware of any 2-lane roads in Cary that are 40mph. What road was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary