Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,152,253 times

Advertisements

I think there are too many apartments, town-homes, and self storage centers. Every where I look I see these three being built. apartments are a kills...so many people in a confined space and many cars.

Wondering what this means? "At the current pace, minority populations are expected to grow to 35% by 2020, moving towards “majority minority”. What minority will move to majority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,508,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I think there are too many apartments, town-homes, and self storage centers. Every where I look I see these three being built. apartments are a kills...so many people in a confined space and many cars.

Wondering what this means? "At the current pace, minority populations are expected to grow to 35% by 2020, moving towards “majority minority”. What minority will move to majority?
That just means that majority of residents of Wake County will be non-white. WCPSS is already minority-majority and has been for a while. Over 2/3 of the elementary schools in Wake County are minority-majority. It doesn't necessarily mean any other ethnic group will be the majority....just that whites won't be the majority.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
Many of us feel congestion, habitat destruction, and traffic has increased far too quickly in our area. Evidently we're not imagining it. If you like Raleigh now, will you still love it 20 years from now?

Growth | www.wakeupwakecounty.org
if this is that critically important to them, I'd expect them to have current information, not stuff from primarily 6-9 years ago.

I haven't read any responses yet, I'm sure they run the gamut.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
They recently passed an ordinance in North Hills restricting the lot sizes to prevent developers from buying up 2 or 3 lots to put 4-5 houses on them. I understand this, because they aren't building small houses. They are building 3,000+ sq ft houses on small lots like in Cary. In a more established neighborhood with modest sized houses and larger lots, it does change the character of the neighborhood, and I understand why they voted for that change.
do you have a link to these changes? I had not heard of them.

as far as I know, the R-4 (just under 1/4 acre) zoning still applies.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 PM

530 posts, read 638,493 times
Quote:
I think there are too many apartments, town-homes

Density is good growth, sprawl causes more problems.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
So if you hate traffic, there's LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of room for you in this country. Millions and millions of square miles, in fact! What an amazing country!
If you want to live in the rural areas and stay there/work there, that's awesome! More power to you. If you're moving on the fringes of a city though and then want to work at a job downtown, you're contributing to the traffic problems.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,187,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
do you have a link to these changes? I had not heard of them.

as far as I know, the R-4 (just under 1/4 acre) zoning still applies.
I read about it on my next door group. It doesn’t affect me, because they only wanted to include “historical” North Hills. The minimum lot size is now 14,000 sq ft.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/business/c...orthHills.html

Old 02-27-2018, 10:07 PM

thanks for the link. that's actually very interesting, and at the same time confusing - they're talking about requiring larger lots than currently exist - requiring basically 1/3 acre lots when R-4 calls for 1/4 acre. At face value, it will bring some teardowns to a stop since many existing lots are less than 1/3 acre, regardless of any subdividing.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Were out here in Wendell and it is a dead zone...we never like city living but always want the benefits of a large population center without being smack dab in the middle of it...and very glad of that fact. I have some friends in Holly Springs that are trying to sell out before the southern portion of I540 is built...its just progress...there will always be growth and population expansion..just a fact of life..
Not necessarily.

We once lived in NJ and went to a town named Metuchen. This town was totally anti-growth and stayed nice despite changes in the rest of NJ.

Growth can be crushed if the area really does not want it.

One thing is to totally stop long commutes by not adding new roads.

In a few years, many of the junk apartments and homes built now will start to fall apart and become new slums.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,677,470 times
Quote:

Keep em out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary